Aug 1st-it won't be long now...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well today being Aug 1st, the burning season is just two months away. First fire for me last year was Sept 20, but I only had 2 more that month. October I burned 14 times, and then by November I was burning most every day. Pretty much the norm for me, but I think Oct is usually more frequent than that. In the early part of the season, it's a matter of whether or not the sun's out during the day to give some solar gain to the house. Cloudy/rainy days generally mean a "get the chill out" fire.

So, who's ready, and who still has some work to do? My shed is full, along with a couple of other face cord racks that I have. Only thing left for me is to do my kindling rack, which always seems to be a last minute deal with me. The fun factor of cutting wood just never seems to extend to cutting up the mower crates for kindling. :msp_tongue:

We've had a couple of nights in the low 50's around here, so firewood sellers have been getting some calls, and some customers have been coming in getting chains/oil and such. I drive around and my eyes are always tuned in to noticing firewood piles. I've seen some recent deliveries and signs of people cutting. Starting to notice truck loads of firewood here and there on the roads. But most of what I see is just left over stacks from last year, so my impression is that those of us who are all set for the coming season are definitely in the minority.

I really don't like to think about the cold to come, but I'm ready for it. This year and next. :clap:

I'm thinkin' about it... I ain't even started the "stovace" tear-out/furnace install yet (I did get the 240v service done this spring). My son's wedding is in 8 days... after that I need to get busy on a bunch of different things (provided I have any money left)...

Don't even say that...I'm not even close to what I need. I have everything down but not cut or split yet.:looser: I'm actually going out for a few hours this morning. Your reminder gave me the motivation I need.

Having dealth with the 95-100* daily temps of summer for darn near 30 years, I live for winter... Too bad Houston doesn't have a real winter lol. I'm the opposite of a "Winter Texans" and would rather fly north for the winter but can't always do it.

Anyway... despite not having to burn any wood during the winter, I still cut/split/stack as much wood as a northerner... My dad and I both run our smokers 2-4 days a week :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
This stuff always kicks me in the butt...I say it won't, but it always does.

h35B9AD9C

GIF...Courtesy of Mr. Bow Saw

Sorry, no burning wood for me this winter. Just closed on the sale of the house Monday, sold all the stacked wood I had at home so I am not sure what I will do with my free time this winter.

Sorry, no burning wood for me this winter. Just closed on the sale of the house Monday, sold all the stacked wood I had at home so I am not sure what I will do with my free time this winter.

Cut for other people, make some coin?

Bring it on.I have enough for this winter and next spilt/stacked.
Let me rephrase that I had enough for two years but little brother doesnt so I have enough
for the two of us this winter.with his schedule he has little time to work in fire wood so i try to help him all i can

The shed is holding aprox. 10 full chords,,or 20 RICKS !! :msp_tongue: Not quite enough to feed the Hungry Monster all winter.
The recent cool down has me thinking about making firewood,,it won't be long. The woods are so full and thick right now it'd be brutal making firewood,,so I'm not quite ready to give up the fishing rigs for wood cutting gear,,not yet! I've got several blow downs waiting for cooler weather..Lots of blow downs,,but it can waite,,Lots of fish in the rivers too,,lots of fish!

I think I'm about where I need to be to get through this winter. There's a ton of softwood piled up on one side of the house, and all the hardwood is on the other side. There's quite a few rounds I have left to split sitting on the ground right now, but fortunately those were cut in the very beginning of the year before the growing season started, so I would imagine it wouldn't take too long to dry out once split. My buddy is going to come over with his hydraulic splitter to help me get caught up.

All i have left to do is split wood. I had a tree service come out and clean up the trees along the driveway.. I wasnt expecting so much wood out of these trees.. i should be good for this winter and next.. :msp_thumbup:

10.5 cords of wood stacked,,and is dry....hackberry,oak, and ash. the most ive ever had stacked ready to burn,,,,ever...just need to throw it in the basement,,and stack it..:hmm3grin2orange:

Enough wood here for at least five years, most of it going through its second summer in the sun. The wood in the stacks is all 16" long, can't possibly fit into my little Morso.

Quick pass on a bandsaw to 8", starting in a couple months, and it starts in to the ready-racks. Lots of solar drying, meanwhile.

About .5 cord of burning-size pieces drying in a "silo" outdoors.

Ready? More ready than last year when I started w/ nothing! I cut/split/stacked 1.5 times what I needed for last year, so I've got about half the winter's worth ready now and probabaly another 1.5 more still in rounds. Playing catch up is hard :msp_rolleyes: But scrounging in the suburbs is good!:clap:

Last edited:
Enough wood here for at least five years...

After last winter's loooooooong, cold, snowy heating season I'm no longer comfortable claiming I have X-number-of-years firewood supply.
If we have another winter like last... I'm really gonna' need to get busy next year.
Man, I burned way more than I harvested last year... the only people I know of that can continue along that line for any length of time is the Federal Government.

I have 10 full cords of 2 year old Oak, Hickory,Cherry, and Honey locust. Need to fill the winter shed, it holds 3 cords. I average 3.5 cord a year. I have approx. 5 cord that need split and stacked. I need to get on it, I am out of space to put new rounds until I get it done. The neighbor took 2 red oaks down, 34"dbh and 3 shagbark hickories 20"dbh down and they are waiting on me to get moved to the wood yard.

Well today being Aug 1st, the burning season is just two months away. First fire for me last year was Sept 20, but I only had 2 more that month. October I burned 14 times, and then by November I was burning most every day. Pretty much the norm for me, but I think Oct is usually more frequent than that. In the early part of the season, it's a matter of whether or not the sun's out during the day to give some solar gain to the house. Cloudy/rainy days generally mean a "get the chill out" fire.

So, who's ready, and who still has some work to do? My shed is full, along with a couple of other face cord racks that I have. Only thing left for me is to do my kindling rack, which always seems to be a last minute deal with me. The fun factor of cutting wood just never seems to extend to cutting up the mower crates for kindling. :msp_tongue:

We've had a couple of nights in the low 50's around here, so firewood sellers have been getting some calls, and some customers have been coming in getting chains/oil and such. I drive around and my eyes are always tuned in to noticing firewood piles. I've seen some recent deliveries and signs of people cutting. Starting to notice truck loads of firewood here and there on the roads. But most of what I see is just left over stacks from last year, so my impression is that those of us who are all set for the coming season are definitely in the minority.

I've got 3/4 of my winter's supply in the sshed and back porch now. Will complete that about Sept. Just needs moving from my stock of around 60+ cord of Black Locust and 4 cord of 'shoulder season'.

Have a small cart load of shoulder season outside the porch door and and an armful waiting by the stove for my first fire in aobut 1 hour when she gets up (disabled). Current temp outside 67 and my wife thinks 80 in the house is "chilly"

Harry K

Last edited:
10 cords of wood stacked and ready to go since last September and just started on a fresh load. Only thing left for me to do is to replace one of the angles that hold the fire bricks in my stove, woke up one morning with the draft wide open (wife forgot to shut it down)

Back