Aug 1st-it won't be long now...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm about where I need to be to get through this winter. There's a ton of softwood piled up on one side of the house, and all the hardwood is on the other side. There's quite a few rounds I have left to split sitting on the ground right now, but fortunately those were cut in the very beginning of the year before the growing season started, so I would imagine it wouldn't take too long to dry out once split. My buddy is going to come over with his hydraulic splitter to help me get caught up.

Pennsy,

Effort is a beautiful area. been through there a time or two.

I have not had success with wood in the round for long periods of time, then split. I had a few cords of maple that sat a year before I split it thinking I could use it right away...nope would not stay lit....(dried up in a few months as soon as I didn't need it any longer in the spring). I don't consider time "on the round" as drying time anymore. Most firewood sellers here pile up the years worth of rounds then split at this time of the year and call is "seasoned". Don't work for me that way. I say 6 months or a summer season at least for most hardwoods, even after sitting on the round.

Well today being Aug 1st, the burning season is just two months away. First fire for me last year was Sept 20, but I only had 2 more that month. October I burned 14 times, and then by November I was burning most every day. Pretty much the norm for me, but I think Oct is usually more frequent than that. In the early part of the season, it's a matter of whether or not the sun's out during the day to give some solar gain to the house. Cloudy/rainy days generally mean a "get the chill out" fire.

So, who's ready, and who still has some work to do? My shed is full, along with a couple of other face cord racks that I have. Only thing left for me is to do my kindling rack, which always seems to be a last minute deal with me. The fun factor of cutting wood just never seems to extend to cutting up the mower crates for kindling. :msp_tongue:

We've had a couple of nights in the low 50's around here, so firewood sellers have been getting some calls, and some customers have been coming in getting chains/oil and such. I drive around and my eyes are always tuned in to noticing firewood piles. I've seen some recent deliveries and signs of people cutting. Starting to notice truck loads of firewood here and there on the roads. But most of what I see is just left over stacks from last year, so my impression is that those of us who are all set for the coming season are definitely in the minority.

It's probably 3-4 months away for me before I can start wood burning for heat! September is just as hot a August here! October is cooler...but not cold. It's usually the middle to the end of November before we start wood burning. I wish it was sooner, my family really enjoys the wood burner, and that time of the year!

We experienced a long cold winter last year. I started out with 9 cords, and by the end of the burning "season", I calculated that we burned about 7 cords.

As of a month ago, I have 9 cords cut, split and stacked. So, plenty for this winter, with a small start on the next one!

But, I'll continue to cut and split, for some friends, that are unable to gather enough wood.

Anyway, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to know my wood is cut, split, stacked and under cover for this winter! :rock:

It’s late October before I can even consider starting the fireplace.
Generally I have to wait till November before I start needing heat.

Got plenty for this winter and close to enough for the following one. Seems like I just quit burning a few days ago and not real anxious to start again for awhile.

I just checked my calendar, 9/18 was my first fire last year, and I burned until 6/4 (not 24/7). That might be a record for "longest burn season" for me. Normally I start in mid to late October, and run through early May.

I'm eyeballing my stacks of seasoned, and thinking of getting them inside over the next couple of weeks. Lining my chimney is still on the "to do" list as well.

Plenty to do, just need time and ambition. I seem to lack both in the middle of summer.

Pennsy,

Effort is a beautiful area. been through there a time or two.

I have not had success with wood in the round for long periods of time, then split. I had a few cords of maple that sat a year before I split it thinking I could use it right away...nope would not stay lit....(dried up in a few months as soon as I didn't need it any longer in the spring). I don't consider time "on the round" as drying time anymore. Most firewood sellers here pile up the years worth of rounds then split at this time of the year and call is "seasoned". Don't work for me that way. I say 6 months or a summer season at least for most hardwoods, even after sitting on the round.

I'm hoping I can "beat the clock" so to speak with splitting the last little bit of rounds. It's all softwood, and the splits will be thin, plus it will get a decent amount of sun, so hopefully luck is in my favor. I'll try some out when I start using the stuff that's seasoned. If it's still steaming once the fire hits it, then that's all the more for next year :msp_thumbup:

I went out where my firewood is stacked, intending to split for a couple hours, but there were so dang many deer flies I didn't even get out of the truck. Gonna have to wait a bit before I get back at it!

I have 63 cords all split and stacked with about 15 to 20 more needing split. But splitting goes fast if I can stay at it all day and not have to stop to go cut more, or deliver more.

Ted

I've got 3/4 of my winter's supply in the sshed and back porch now. Will complete that about Sept. Just needs moving from my stock of around 60+ cord of Black Locust and 4 cord of 'shoulder season'.

Have a small cart load of shoulder season outside the porch door and and an armful waiting by the stove for my first fire in aobut 1 hour when she gets up (disabled). Current temp outside 67 and my wife thinks 80 in the house is "chilly"

Harry K

Well, that was brilliant. Stupid is as stupid does. I parked that cartload of shoulder season outside the door, went out to get some last evening and found it soaked. Who coulda guessed that it would rain? Only been predicted for the past several days. Move what is left of that load inside today and get another load but park it inside also. Hope it dries out.

62 outside and burning my B. Locust which burns way too hot for this type of season.

Harry K

We usually start burning evenings around late September, early October. It's gotta get below 60 and damp before we need a fire.

Haven't noticed firewood/slabwood loads on the move but it's early for that. This is roadside veggie stand season. Nobody's working up wood for their own use just yet. Most folks around these parts get their wood laid in before spring. Stacks and piles in yards are commonplace.

The Amish neighbor across the road, he cuts every winter and stays ahead. Some days he'll take a break and come over to chat. That gives me an excuse for a break from splitting - or whatever. Neither of us gets any work done during these visits but we appreciate the chair time. Come to think of it, I gotta remember to take some garden veggies over there - if these darn maters and cukes ever decide to do something.

But I digress. The local firewood sellers usually hang their signs in late August. By September the wood trucks and trailers can be seen on area roads. One ol' boy I know in west Dover has his sign out already.

In winters past I'd be out there cutting. Pull a cartload of rounds to the yard, unload 'em and carry an armload of splits in the house. Gotta keep the SheWolf warm. :)

We won't need to cut this year. Busted arse last winter, cutting and pigging up the woodlot. We're bumped three years ahead... eight-plus cord be stacked out there. I have a full dance card of home and yard projects to do this fall.

But something tells me I will not be able to resist the siren's song of a brisk late fall day in the woods with the saw. :)

How many of us fireplace lovers that love burning fires can’t wait till its gotten really cool enough to light a fire,
finding ourselves opening a window or door so we can have that early fire and not cook from the heat?lol

I’m not talking a big roaring fire but just a small one for the ambiance.

On a average year we start burning about mid Oct.
Usually more towards Halloween.
I had about 1/2 cord left over from last year, got a lot last spring.
All Split, just waiting for you in AS land to come over and stack it for me.
I have enough for this winter, starting on next years this fall..

I don't usually start my OWB until about the week of Thanksgiving. My furnace also has an electric coil in it so if I need to just take the chill out of the air I use that until it's time to fire up the beast.

It used to be thanksgiving before the heat went on. Now it's more like Halloween. I swear the seasons have shifted a month earlier.

Latest posts

Back