Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah....a minty new to me MS261 is on my bench! Trying to wade through the hundreds of pages of info on this saw to figure out what to do to her.

Have you started batching jobs? Makes a lot of sense, fewer setups on the lathe for example. Like it!

I've been doing that for quite awhile....

Oh yeah....a minty new to me MS261 is on my bench! Trying to wade through the hundreds of pages of info on this saw to figure out what to do to her.

Send me a PM.

Everybody knows Randy is a Stihlhead and he swears by the 064 so we will see. My favorite saw is my 288xp and I know the 064 was it's direct competitor so it will be fun to run both side by side.
I don't own or have never ran a 064,but I got that 650 and I'm sure the 288 is faster sound better,but I think I could hook a wench truck to it and it won't stop it:muscle:

Nothing on my bench today. Got either food poisoning or the stomach flu. So much for finishing the 2nd wheel horse.

261 checking squish to get the jug cut. Who can tell me how to get the black wire cam attached to the choke/ign part off without breaking it?
IMG-20150103-00711.jpg

261 checking squish to get the jug cut. Who can tell me how to get the black wire cam attached to the choke/ign part off without breaking it?
View attachment 391739
I literally just had the same problem. I did what you did....just left it, a real PIA.

You got any tricks for dealing with the fuel line once you pull the carb other than stuffing a screw driver in it. This saw dumped out more fuel than most do.

Put a new coil and fuel line on the 262xp today. It runs awesome!! Cut up a big Doug Fir today and the 20" bar wouldn't reach even cutting from both sides. Those are 40" diameter..:
image.jpg

View attachment 391739
If you put the master control switch up in the "off" position, you will notice on the side there is a place to put a screw driver so you can pry the master control lever out of the housing. Then you can pop the black wire/connector off the post. Here's my attempt at a picture....lemme know if this helps...I can try and take more.
image.jpg

Yea if I do another one I'll leave it. The 261 there in the pic I just recently rebuilt has a new filter housing...I got a little burly reinstalling it and snapped the damn thing off. :laugh:
But it can be taken apart if you want.

All ive done to that one is open the exhaust exit in the muffler. Anything else a guy without access to a lathe or porting tools can do to those to get a little more powa. Besides replacing a broken filter housing?:omg:

Latest posts

Back