Bar combo for Stihl 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best combo for Stihl 441?

• 18" and 25" bars

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • 18" and 28" bars

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • 20" and 25" bars

Votes: 57 41.6%
  • 20" and 28" bars

Votes: 59 43.1%

• Total voters
You'll love the saw!! Congrats.:givebeer:

I cut an honest cord plus a little tonight with the 441. It was some dirty locust(been pushed around by a track hoe) so I had to sharpen the chain twice, but I never refueled the saw once. In fact, I'd say it's still got 1/4 tank or more. This is a ported saw.

I've never really paid much attention to how much actual wood I cut per tank, just that it goes for so long.

Even Erick had a bit of a grin when he he put it into a log today. When the rings get seated and it opens up a bit, we will put it through the paces against some of his stock saws. Should be fun :chainsawguy:

I have had a 441 since spring of 2007 it wears a 20" bar and an 8 tooth sprocket almost all the time and my cutting is similar to yours have cut about 40 cords since august and I LOVE my 441.:greenchainsaw:

Can't Vote..

I thought I would chime in as I seem to be the odd man out. I run a 16" on my 441. I have a 20" and a 25" in the truck just in case. In the year that I have been runing the saw, the 25" bar has only been on the saw 1 time. Generally I like to run short bars.

bclure

Can't Vote..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I would chime in as I seem to be the odd man out. I run a 16" on my 441. I have a 20" and a 25" in the truck just in case. In the year that I have been runing the saw, the 25" bar has only been on the saw 1 time. Generally I like to run short bars.

LOL.. I have a 260 PRO, It runs a 13" bar!

While I certainly would not classify the aforementioned quotes as a sin or wrong, as in morally "right and wrong", on the basis that a person can do whatever they want to do, provided they are not harming anyone else in the process.

But there is certainly something weird about it.

LOL,

Sam

i voted 25-28, no sense and running short bar on a saw like this

bclure

Can't Vote..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say that, "Generally you cut very small wood, and did't need a 441 in the first place, but you got one anyways."

Again I'm not saying its wrong, but it is weird.

My opinion,

Sam

A little off the main topic here but I just changed to a 22" bar. For the past year or so I have beem wondering why there was no bar between 20" and 25". I guessed there was no need for one. I generally had run a 25" bar on the 441 and on occassion a 20" bar. However the 361 pulls the 20" bar fine and weighs less. The 25" ES was heavy so when I found out about the 22" bar I ordered one up. I have not used it enough to form an opinion yet but so far I like it. I would love it if Oregon would continue their lightweight series down to 20".

A little off the main topic here but I just changed to a 22" bar. For the past year or so I have beem wondering why there was no bar between 20" and 25". I guessed there was no need for one. I generally had run a 25" bar on the 441 and on occassion a 20" bar. However the 361 pulls the 20" bar fine and weighs less. The 25" ES was heavy so when I found out about the 22" bar I ordered one up. I have not used it enough to form an opinion yet but so far I like it. I would love it if Oregon would continue their lightweight series down to 20".

I had a custom set of bars made for all my saws. They are in 1" increments from 6" all the way up to 60", that way I never have to carry a bar that is more than 1" longer than the diameter of the branch or tree I am about to cut. If it is I just walk back to the truck and change out the bar to the more appropriate size.

You can only imagine how easy this is on my back, not having to carry all that extra weight throughout the day. It has been truly life changing.

Sam

Sam

LOL.. I have a 260 PRO, It runs a 13" bar!

Man, you suffer from east coast Shrimpy Bar Disease. SBD. I run a 16 inch on my 025. I run a 20 and 25 on my 361, and a 25 and 28 on my 044. Out here on the west coast, we suffer from long bar disease. LBD.

IMO, unless you are cutting rocks, you are completely wasting the available torque in your saws.

What's the bar number for that 22 inch bar? I think that the 361 would be at home with a 22 inch bar. Stihl and GB do not make any that I am aware of.

16" is wayyyy too tiny for a 441, get a 260.

i just saw this (old) pre-release reveiw of the ms441

the reveiwer repeatedly says things about how much the 20" bar that it came with was too long. He put a 16" on it and said that it might could handle an 18" :hmm3grin2orange:

http://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/PDFfiles/MS 441.pdf

i just saw this (old) pre-release reveiw of the ms441

the reveiwer repeatedly says things about how much the 20" bar that it came with was too long. He put a 16" on it and said that it might could handle an 18" :hmm3grin2orange:

Ummm, another ********** with SBD.:dizzy: Unless you are racing, why in the heck would you use a 16" b&c on a 70cc saw.....:monkey:

What's the bar number for that 22 inch bar? I think that the 361 would be at home with a 22 inch bar. Stihl and GB do not make any that I am aware of.

The Circle of Life here on AS. LOL. I took the bar number that I got from this thread to my dealer and ordred the bar. It is 3003 000 9425. My dealer could not find a 22" bar by application but when they ran the part number it came back as a good number. It is an .063 ga bar and uses 76 drivers with a 7 tooth nose. Like I said I have not used this bar enough to form an opinion yet.

The 441 will handle a 25" or 28" bar with no problems in our softwood and tan oaks. It should pull a 32" bar well enough, just a bit slower than ideal. I did not like the 20" bar on it. Just my opinion.

Well I don't have a 441 but I do have a 7900, similar size saw. It came with a 24" bar. I tried a 20" and see no point in it.
To say you can cut a 50" tree or log with a 20" bar maybe true but it is not ideal. I had trouble cutting some of the up-rooted trees from hurricane Ike with my 24" bar because so much of the butt was down in the ground. I think I suffer from LBI.

He put a 16" on it and said that it might could handle an 18" :hmm3grin2orange:

I think you mis-quoted the article a bit. He prefers a smaller bar for dressing out trees once felled; in terms of bar length he only speaks to observations of balance and feel for work once the tree is down. His initial impression in terms of power with 20" he says was impressive.

Right now I have a 20" sugihara on my 441 and its makes for quick work of bucking and noodling. I will definitely be getting a bigger bar for it in the future as it has plenty of power.

Back