Been dying to buy a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJHillbilly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Echo CS-440 and a Husqvarna 345. They're both about 10 years old. The Echo has been great since day one. The Husqvarna just the opposite. It's actually been possibly the worst mechanical thing I've ever owned. Either way I need something bigger. I cut firewood to heat my home so I use a saw quite often and I cut down problem trees for friends and family. My friend was a professional cutter for about 6 years and as a Stihl 362 which easily outruns both my saws like nobody's business (which it should). I'd like to sell the Husqvarna and buy a bigger saw, something with a 24" bar or better. I find myself cutting down bigger and bigger trees and burying an 18 inch bar isn't safe. Locally I have an Echo, Husqvarna, and Stihl dealer. The prices I've gotten so far are, Husqvarna 460 $400 Echo 590 $400 Echo 600 $580 Stihl 362 $693 Stihl 391 $540 Stihl 311 $530. So what's the professional opinion around here on all this? I will most likely keep whatever I buy for a very long time and I'm very mechanically inclined; I'm a Harley master tech.

Check out some of the saws on the trading post here. That is unless you gotta have new.

I have an Echo CS-440 and a Husqvarna 345. They're both about 10 years old. The Echo has been great since day one. The Husqvarna just the opposite. It's actually been possibly the worst mechanical thing I've ever owned. Either way I need something bigger. I cut firewood to heat my home so I use a saw quite often and I cut down problem trees for friends and family. My friend was a professional cutter for about 6 years and as a Stihl 362 which easily outruns both my saws like nobody's business (which it should). I'd like to sell the Husqvarna and buy a bigger saw, something with a 24" bar or better. I find myself cutting down bigger and bigger trees and burying an 18 inch bar isn't safe. Locally I have an Echo, Husqvarna, and Stihl dealer. The prices I've gotten so far are, Husqvarna 460 $400 Echo 590 $400 Echo 600 $580 Stihl 362 $693 Stihl 391 $540 Stihl 311 $530. So what's the professional opinion around here on all this? I will most likely keep whatever I buy for a very long time and I'm very mechanically inclined; I'm a Harley master tech.
It sounds like you keep your saws for a long time. I would stay away from anything that has a plastic crankcase(311,391,460). I just bought a Jonsered 2260 (Husqvarna 562) from a sponsor on here (Left Coast) for $575 (power head). It's an awesome saw!!!!!! Just a little too quiet and smooth though.

you really are talking a 2 saw plan. 2 is better than 1. if you are cutting big stuff,362-441 or a 372 . and a smaller saw 260, etc. its good to have a good back .

I plan on keeping the Echo just looking for something that'll run a 24" bar when I need it. I think I'm leaning towards the Stihl 362 based on the luck my buddy has had with his

Doesn't sound like you cut a ton of wood every day. I would just get the Echo 590 or Dolmar 6100 or a Husqvarna 555(in that row) and be happy for the next twenty years! All the expensive high line Stihl and Husqvarna saws will not cut anything really faster for you, just take more money out of your wallet!

I don't cut it everyday year round. Almost everyday in the winter. I love my Echo but my Husqvarna runs sssooooo much better (when it runs). I have an Echo Husqvarna and Stihl dealer all within 20 minutes and they're all very similar, fairly nice people, some willing to work on price some not

I am running a 20 inch with .050, 3/8 pitch, full chisel chain. Be sure to get an extra chain or two and a way to sharpen it because the other saws will just sit at home.

My 026 also wears a 20 inch bar but it stays in reserve unless I manage to pinch the bar on the 555.

From what I have gathered, 562 would be a good compliment to your Echo. Having 16" and 24" bar options would be a good setup on a saw with that power, weight, and chassis size.

The Echo 620 seems interesting. Stihl 362 is a good saw by all accounts. The homeowner saws (Husqvarna 460, Stihl 311/391) aren't my cup of tea. Regardless, though, for getting in and running a 24"+ bar, I'd want more power than either of those saws offer. I'm definitely keen on maintaining the 3:1 cc:bar length(inches) ratio.

Latest posts

Back