Been playing with a MS400C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's not accurate?

NYH1.
If you go by a single, sometimes biased, Consumer Reports it is accurate. Truthfully I don't put much weight in what they say.
You can look at 10 different reliability reports and get 10 different answers - I've done it.

For me, this is the tale of the tape. Where people put their money.
It's not like any of these trucks are new. They've all been on the market long enough to let their reputation speak for themselves. It's not even close.

Screenshot_20230307_174048_Chrome.jpg

What does 2020 and 2021 sales have to do with the 2023 Tundra not being recommended? The 2023 Tundra is a newly designed model.

I usually couldn't care less about Toyota and Nissan trucks as they don't make a truck I could use. I just noticed it when I saw it because Toyota's are usually pretty good and recommended.

NYH1.

Ask Mechainics Techs and long Auto store owners what is the most reliable. For me reliable means a lot.
Like I said, the thing that caught my eye was it was the Tundra. I know a few guys with pre-2023 Tundra's. Most are more then happy with them, no real issues that I know of.

If I was going to buy a compact truck, the Tacoma would be the first one I'd look at.

NYH1.

Ask Mechanics Techs and Auto store owners what is the most reliable. For me reliable means a lot.
Is one person (a mechanic) a reliable source vs hundreds of thousands of owner reviews?
Here is my take as an owner of multiple manufacturers. My wife has had either an Explorer or a 4runner for the last 20 years. She loves both and really it has come down to what we could get a better deal on at the time. We are lucky enough to have a dealer that sells both Ford and Toyota, in the same lot. So we have bought her last 4 vehicles from the same dealer. The only time our vehicles have ever graced the service bay is for a recall or warranty work. Other than that I would just assume fix it myself. I'm a pretty astute observor of what is in the service bays each and every time I have had a vehicle in there. And guess what? For every 3 to 4 Fords in the bay there is at least one Toyota. That's a consistent observation and a pretty fair assessment being Ford outsells Toyota 8 or 9 to 1. What does that mean? Probably not alot - it's just one person's observations over the years.
Which is why I feel that Overall sales numbers are a good indicator. People will only get burned so many times before they cross over to something else.

Like I said, the thing that caught my eye was it was the Tundra. I know a few guys with pre-2023 Tundra's. Most are more then happy with them, no real issues that I know of.

If I was going to buy a compact truck, the Tacoma would be the first one I'd look at.

NYH1.

Is one person (a mechanic) a reliable source vs hundreds of thousands of owner reviews?
Here is my take as an owner of multiple manufacturers. My wife has had either an Explorer or a 4runner for the last 20 years. She loves both and really it has come down to what we could get a better deal on at the time. We are lucky enough to have a dealer that sells both Ford and Toyota, in the same lot. So we have bought her last 4 vehicles from the same dealer. The only time our vehicles have ever graced the service bay is for a recall or warranty work. Other than that I would just assume fix it myself. I'm a pretty astute observor of what is in the service bays each and every time I have had a vehicle in there. And guess what? For every 3 to 4 Fords in the bay there is at least one Toyota. That's a consistent observation and a pretty fair assessment being Ford outsells Toyota 8 or 9 to 1. What does that mean? Probably not alot - it's just one person's observations over the years.
Which is why I feel that Overall sales numbers are a good indicator. People will only get burned so many times before they cross over to something else.

What does 2020 and 2021 sales have to do with the 2023 Tundra not being recommended? The 2023 Tundra is a newly designed model.

NYH1.
Do you feel that Toyota screwed the pooch so bad that that is an honest reflection of the new Tundra?
CR has been fairly biased over the years. It is a very specific audience that subscribes to them and fills out their reports.

Personally, I think it is one of 2 things.

Either growing pains of a new platform which has happened to every manufacturer, since forever.

Or, Toyota is suffering from a case of value engineering, which has happened to every manufacturer, since forever.

Time will tell which it is for better or worse.

Full sized NA trucks are rarely sold elsewhere in the world period, Tundra included. The rest of the world has a different idea of what a full sized truck is.
Big three makes smaller trucks though... and the rest of the world has different reliability expectations, which the big three fails miserably at.

I always take this stuff with a grain of salt. In the past 20 odd years I can only think of two vehicles I haven't taken past 200k without major repair. 2011 Ford edge, it was just too small for a car seat in the back and me to sit in the front seat. Had to go. Second vehicle is the 08 escape we got this past summer. Has 167k on it. I don't see why it wouldn't go past 200k tbh. Everything else in my fleet is well over 200k, and the expedition will see 300k before the years out. Unfortunately the crv has met its time 285k and it burns as much oil as it does gas, and is rotten to the core. Other wise it runs and drives just fine. Original engine and trans in it. Heck even my big block turned 200k last year, but I can't claim to put moat of those miles on it. Rot is the biggest reason we get rid of vehicles, and believe me when I'm done with them they are ready for the scrap yard. I mostly credit this to decent maintenance, but surely there has to be some quality in the vehicles them selves as well.
If we look at the other side of the coin, I know a lot of people that regularly trade in vehicles before 100k. There are also people that won't take a vehicle much over 150-180k before getting rid of them. Doesn't nessisarily mean the vehicle is bad or worn out, but does show a trend for people to need (want really) something shiny and new to them. I've worn out a lot of vehicles between personal and service trucks and can tell you it's pretty clear right away which ones are going to be junk and which ones will last. Don't much care about the make of the vehicle just that they stand the test of time with minimal to no major repairs.

Do you feel that Toyota screwed the pooch so bad that that is an honest reflection of the new Tundra?
Don't know and don't really care sense they don't make any vehicles that fit my needs. Saw it on the news.

I was replying to....
"I stand by my previous statement offshore vehicles are 100% more reliable than what we produce within NA"

CR has been fairly biased over the years. It is a very specific audience that subscribes to them and fills out their reports.
Biased to who? CR seems to sides with foreign brands.

Personally, I think it is one of 2 things.

Either growing pains of a new platform which has happened to every manufacturer, since forever.

Or, Toyota is suffering from a case of value engineering, which has happened to every manufacturer, since forever.

Time will tell which it is for better or worse.
We'll see.

NYH1.

Don't know and don't really care sense they don't make any vehicles that fit my needs. Saw it on the news.

I was replying to....
"I stand by my previous statement offshore vehicles are 100% more reliable than what we produce within NA"

Biased to who? CR seems to sides with foreign brands.

We'll see.

NYH1.
The Tundra expiereanced a complete redesign. Most of the issues the 23 has suffered are minor in nature.

Just was talking with the guy that has it. Said he had it at a shop and they said the compressor clutch wouldn't engage, but it had power to the clutch. He didn't want to foot the bill since he knew he wasn't keeping it long. Guess I'll pressure test the system first to make sure there are no leaks then go from there.

At least you got this to look forward to (trip meter vs fuel gauge)

20230307_161241.jpg

Winterized fuel and longer idle times for warm up don't help. Generally will easily clear 600 on a tank without pushing it to the low fuel light. These tanks are small @ 14 gallons.

I have owned every truck manufacturer & after 1990 as indicated previously the big 3 really have gone down hill . As for rust perforation , all vehicles suffer . The Japanese vehicles were terrible for yrs with their boxed frames . American made had shoddy rocker panel & box panels . Religious cleaning & rust proofing is all that will protect your investment up North here . I stand by my previous statement offshore vehicles are 100% more reliable than what we produce within NA . It's shameful !
yup had two subaru legacy wagon, '92& '96 HAHA I was the true definition of a redneck, showed up to do a tree job, and my saw cost more than my car.😁🤣. But with living only 5 mi from New York border, the salt destroyed the frames before the motors crapped out.

Back when I was young and dumb (old and dumb now) saws would sit for months with mix in them. Never had any problems. Prolly the dreaded stihl 2 stroke oil kept them running. :crazy2:
Ya i would use 87 with stihl HP ultra in my weed hackers and saw (obviously my saw got yr. round use) but my weed hackers and leaf blower and edger, i would store all winter long with fuel in them in a shed that would get hit by the sun and they would start no problem come spring time

Back