best 60 bucks spent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chaps have loose woven layers of Kevlar in them.
When you cut into the chaps with a running chain, the fibers are pulled out of the weave and stop the chain.
If the Kevlar is pulled out and you hit the same spot again, there's nothing for the chain to grab, so it keeps moving and cutting, right into your leg.
Consider yourself fortunate to have had the good judgement to wear chaps.
Don't negate that decision by wearing a pair that's been compromised.
Spend another $60 and buy yourself a new pair.

I think I'd like to have some chaps. Saw this video with this guy chainsaw charlie it's a safty video from the 70s when they were allowed to scare you. Is one brand of chaps better than another or are they all made to some OSHA standard like z87.1 on saftey glasses?

I like the Labonville full wrap.
They offer a lot of coverage and are very comfortable. They do get a little warm in warmer weather.
The amount of protection you get is dependent on the number of layers of Kevlar in the chaps.
Go to the Labonville website, they have a lot of good information.

I like the Labonville full wrap.
They offer a lot of coverage and are very comfortable. They do get a little warm in warmer weather.
The amount of protection you get is dependent on the number of layers of Kevlar in the chaps.
Go to the Labonville website, they have a lot of good information.

I took some advise and got the lebonville full wraps. They are hot in the summer, but on the plus side, you can cut while wearing shorts and still be protected.

Yeah I've been lucky I'm gonna go buy some chaps. I saw forester is selling a chaps and halo combo on eBay for $70 free shipping. Think I'll learn from the mistake of others on this one because you're only lucky until you're not.

A good decision. I've got 18 years as an arborist and run saws 6 days a week,50 weeks a year(2 weeks vacation) and I chose to start wearing chaps about 10 years ago. I have never had an accident to need them but I still wear them religiously. I've seen what saws do to flesh and it ain't pretty. Whether you chose to wear them or not, be smart around saws

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but does the effectiveness of the Kevlar in chaps diminish over time?
Not all chaps have 'Kevlar' - there are a variety of protective materials used. Regardless, it is those fibrous mats inside that get tangled in the chain and drive sprocket, and stall out the chain. Note that they are not 'cut-proof', or even 'cut-resistant'; they just stall out the saw. But they do this very quickly, so the chain has less time to work on cutting you. It may still cut through your chaps, and maybe your jeans, and maybe part of your leg. But without chaps, there is nothing to keep it from going, and going, and going. . . So they likely reduce the severity of a cut. They don't prevent it, and they should not be thought of as 'armor'.

When the cutter snags the protective fibers, it pulls them out of the mat all the way from the top to the bottom. If you look closely, there should be no sewing or seams that penetrate the mat, preventing this, only seams around the edges, outside of the protective mat. So, if you have snagged the mat once, you are reducing the protection all along that leg, not just at the same place. If you cut just the outside fabric, it is OK to sew or duct tape the tear, as long as you don't snag the inside material. Once you have hit the mat, it has done its job, and it's time to replace them. Save them for safety demos if you want by wrapping them around a log.

Some of the protective fibers can be damaged by certain types of washing. Never use bleach, which degrades Kevlar and some other fibers. I hand wash mine flat in the bathtub, or folded over in the laundry tub, if they are particularly dirty. Otherwise, just brush off the dirt and maybe hand spot the surface. Some types of oils or chemicals may also degrade the fibers. *'As always, read the recommendations from the manufacturer of your chaps'*.

There might be some aging issues as well. I got a perfectly good pair along with a used saw once, but they were dated '1985', and I just did not have confidence in them, so I used them for a safety demo at a GTG (caution, they can really jam a nose sprocket - use a hard nose bar if you have one!).

Philbert

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf04512324/pdf04512324dpi300.pdf

http://www.labonville.com/Chap-Specifications-Care_ep_55.html

I've seen it stated multiple times that "waterproofing" (like bar oil released by g-d flippy caps) reduces the effectiveness of chaps. Even the normal oil accumulation from spinning chain is not good for the protection-factor.

Thus, my Labonville full-wraps get a long, hot soak in detergent, in a bucket, a couple of times a year. Multiple rinses, natch.
Not a good idea to toss them in a washing machine either. The plastic fasteners make a hell of a racket hitting the agitator. :dumb:

I know that Kevlar exposed to UV degrades pretty quickly, they recommend a 5 year maximum lifespan on firefighters protective clothing. I got rid of my first set of chaps after 10 years, my second set needs to go next year. Even at $12 a year, it's pretty cheap insurance.

I have had to patch mine up a few times but not from cutting them, hot muffler contact. Also I have seen a few blokes drag the saw across their jeans as well. Saw was not running but cut them none the less. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I made it over 40 years heating my house without chaps then year before last got nailed in the leg. Made me wish I'd gotten a pair that day.

Mine wasn't too bad I seen it coming just didn't have room to boogie. I did get off the throttle almost in time but headed for home before I looked at it. Definitely had me scared.

Back