Best fuel cans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any opinions on today's fuel can options?

The spouts on those cans suck! Plus, the rubber deteriorates quickly. Aside from that, the cans themselves are great. For saws we use older 1-gallon blitz jugs that are NEVER used for anything other than mix. For straight gas we have a varied assortment of 5 gallon cans (mostly plastic) that have been accumulated over the years. A neighbor gave us a combo-can for saws but the bar oil side's never worked great for us so it is just treated as a 1-gallon mix can. You can wedge a scrench between the tanks though, so it has that advantage. In my opinion the best can is the one that works best for you. One thing my dad does, though, is he puts a self-tapper in the handle so the can vents better.

I have a little 2.5 gal (10L) NATO can. Metal cam lock spouts, my 5 gallon cans are old rail road cans my pop got from a friend, that's inherited. Cant use those crappy plastic cans, been too spoiled with good ones.

I use one of these galvanized Eagle cans (without the plastic spout)

Best-Gas-Can-for-Lawn-Mower.jpg

Looks like my approach for carrying within a pack. I use old tube socks to add cushion and a cloth if needed.
View attachment 895467View attachment 895468
My wife used her Cricket machine to make stencils. I tried to leave as much of the original labels as I could and I had to put the cans in the oven on low heat to cure the rustoleum paint. Those safety caps are hateful. MSR makes expedition caps to replace them, but they only fit the MSR bottles. I tried them on Primus bottles because the Primus were a bit cheaper. Lesson learned: go with the MSR.

I use a round black metal can with a large screw on fill cap and a small spout 2 gallon capacity.t in the days of old these cans were railroad issue to an employee whose duties were filling all the signal lights in the yards with coal oil.
Here is my tip for all of you who hate the plastic cans with no vents
Drill a 1/2 inch in hole in the handle at the back of the can push a wire threw the 1/2 hole out the pour hole.Buy a tubeless tire rubber valve stem take out the valve core tape the rubber valve plug on the wire pull it out the 1/2 hole the groove in the rubber valve will seat in the 1/2 hole remove the valve core put a valve cap on it and your set with a vented leak proof can.
Now for the legal stuff
Do this at your own risk
Putting this on a gas can could be illegal
Installing valve stems in plastic gas cans has been known to cause cancer in the testicles of weasels .
Using five gallon with this modification has been known to severely cut down on the amount and level of cuss words uttered by the user.
Kash

I always assumed gas would eat an old vinegar jug or whatever. Not true?
i have used those plastic jugs for gas for years. some of them were windshield fluid some for other chemicals some had maple syrup. some of them drip and some dont. if they drip i try to fix it with a knife and if it doesnt work i just get a different one

I use a round black metal can with a large screw on fill cap and a small spout 2 gallon capacity.t in the days of old these cans were railroad issue to an employee whose duties were filling all the signal lights in the yards with coal oil.
Here is my tip for all of you who hate the plastic cans with no vents
Drill a 1/2 inch in hole in the handle at the back of the can push a wire threw the 1/2 hole out the pour hole.Buy a tubeless tire rubber valve stem take out the valve core tape the rubber valve plug on the wire pull it out the 1/2 hole the groove in the rubber valve will seat in the 1/2 hole remove the valve core put a valve cap on it and your set with a vented leak proof can.
Now for the legal stuff
Do this at your own risk
Putting this on a gas can could be illegal
Installing valve stems in plastic gas cans has been known to cause cancer in the testicles of weasels .
Using five gallon with this modification has been known to severely cut down on the amount and level of cuss words uttered by the user.
Kash

I like that... how about just tapping a hole in the handle and putting a nylon bolt in it? Haven't tried it, might do it now

I'm a convert. My local Menards has these and I retro fit 4 of my old plastic cans. Nice kits really. Filling a JD 4020 without a vented can sucks when standing on the front steer tire!

https://ezpourspout.com/?gclid=Cj0K...6P4AnAc1Msfs-MyGeLDJqoMQLmZFqJWgaAhojEALw_wcB

You can’t get these in Canada so when I was in the USA I picked up a couple of these. One was the High Flow one. Makes filling the snowmobiles way better. Cans nowadays have the vent back on them here.

Retired guy from SE Manitoba

Oh man. I’ve had good luck so far with the No-Spill cans. I have a couple of the Sceptre 5gal cans as well. Had high hopes... The cans are solid, but the epa spouts are complete garbage.

For chainsaws I splurged on one of the Husky dual cans. Overall I like it. The spring loaded cap on the gas side sticks open a bit now. Not ideal, but easy to slide it shut as you lift the can away. I keep a spare sqwench, round and flat files and a couple small wedges in it. It was $38 when I bought. At current prices it’s not worth it (IMO).

Here is another great item for super easy spill proof filling of gas tanks .There is no lifting the can once you place it.I have used the shaker syphon hoses and they work good but the can has to be higher than the tank you are filing.I bought one of these 4 years ago and now have three these are super good for filling tractors snow mobiles etc
At our Canadian Tire Store in ThunderBay On it is called a Pocket Pump made out of plastic it is about two feet long and 1 inch or so on the suck tube part there is a flexible discharge hose it uses two D batteries you insert the pump tube into your five gallon jerry can hit the switch and in about two minutes your can is empty shut it off and the hose self drains back in the can.
This pump is a god sent sells for 35.00 Canadian
Invented by a Canadian guy from Quebec
Kash

Latest posts

Back