Building the ultimate sleeper saw.... 46cc Craftsman into a ported 72cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments fellas. I'll do a better video once I get the bugs worked out of the saw.
Today was only the second time I ran it. This morning I tore it down to raise the transfers from 130 to 120. Everything inside the saw looked good. Once I got the transfers finished, I put the 20" bar back on it from earlier and buried in the big piece of Ash you see in the background by the shed. It was running great and I was able to lean on the saw a decent amount with the bar buried. About a 1/3 of the way through the cut it stuttered a couple times. I readjusted the carb and started back in the cut... seconds later I cut through a nail. :taped: I had the bar buried several times the 1st time out. It was fine. I thinking the carb has issues, everything mechanically with the saw is still sound. I've had several saws in the last couple months come in the shop with the welch plug sealant floating around in the carb.

[video=youtube;esUeFr5TYE0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUeFr5TYE0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here's a quick video. I believe the saw has a lot more potential with a better carb. The carb was new, but either has issues or too small of a jet. The venturi size is good, but something ain't right. In the video the L screw is 3 1/4 turns out and the H is 2 1/4 turns out. :msp_mellow: Tbone sent me a carb I might try tomorrow if I have time to play.

It sounds good but personally I bet the jet is too small. Not sure what has to be done to fix it, just let me know if you want to try the HDA 137 and I'll get it to you.

If you use it at a gtg with people there that do not know what you have done to the saw or if they know it will get there attention quickly. It sounded good to me. Glad to see you back. Tom PS I have some carbs from the big Pioneer saws. If you think one of them will work let me know.

It sounds good but personally I bet the jet is too small. Not sure what has to be done to fix it, just let me know if you want to try the HDA 137 and I'll get it to you.
I'd sure like to try it. I might try the carb John sent tomorrow.
If you use it at a gtg with people there that do not know what you have done to the saw or if they know it will get there attention quickly. It sounded good to me. Glad to see you back. Tom PS I have some carbs from the big Pioneer saws. If you think one of them will work let me know.

Thanks Tom, I can always use another SDC-80 if you have one.

I had know doubt it would run that well, and take your time. Holiday time and all, no sense of being out of the line-up for that. Glad you're feeling better, whatever is going around kicks ass as well as that saw, from personal experience.

Thanks for the comments fellas. I'll do a better video once I get the bugs worked out of the saw.
Today was only the second time I ran it. This morning I tore it down to raise the transfers from 130 to 120. Everything inside the saw looked good. Once I got the transfers finished, I put the 20" bar back on it from earlier and buried in the big piece of Ash you see in the background by the shed. It was running great and I was able to lean on the saw a decent amount with the bar buried. About a 1/3 of the way through the cut it stuttered a couple times. I readjusted the carb and started back in the cut... seconds later I cut through a nail. :taped: I had the bar buried several times the 1st time out. It was fine. I thinking the carb has issues, everything mechanically with the saw is still sound. I've had several saws in the last couple months come in the shop with the welch plug sealant floating around in the carb.

Damn ethanol.

I'll check the rpm with the tach tomorrow. I forgot today, along with checking the comp. Was in a hurry.
I'm only running one ring also.

Hey Randy, would this make a good candidate? :msp_sneaky: the one in the back that is
DSCF1301_zps7f2c4632.jpg

It's not really CRAZY.............................yet!

You boys ain't seen nothin' yet.
Wait until he's finished with it!!!

By the way have you seen his Wildthing?
Makes that Craftsman look like a Mini Mac!

Mike

Latest posts

Back