Building the ultimate sleeper saw.... 46cc Craftsman into a ported 72cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same thoughts with the crank

UPDATE....
As for the 038 crank, I've been thinking of that also. The biggest issue is the clearance inside the crankcase. I'll try to do some measuring of the lobes and crank ends, which would both need to be turned on a machine.

I'm thinking the same with the clearance. I'm not so much worried about the radial clearance as much as I am the width of the counter weights. If it looks doable I'll either set it up in a lathe and if it seems like it's cutting good I'll finish it there. If not I'll rough it in then finish it on a cylindrical grinder. as soon as I find a crank I'll have a better idea of what I'm up against.

I have had a Poulan 3500 Timber master sitting on the shelf for two years+ now. It has a smoked piston. Just lack the time to alter and port a jug for it. When she does go on the chopping block I'm shooting for a quad port ported jug :hmm3grin2orange:

The 60cc 3500 is probably a better candidate for the conversion then the 46-49cc saws. The cyl bolts are spaced a little bit wider to begin with and you can use the heavier duty double pawl starter assy on it.

It also has a wider cutout on the front of the case to use the wider muffler.

The 60cc 3500 is probably a better candidate for the conversion then the 46-49cc saws. The cyl bolts are spaced a little bit wider to begin with and you can use the heavier duty double pawl starter assy on it.

It also has a wider cutout on the front of the case to use the wider muffler.

Spot on and I'm shooting for the 80's. I need heft in the bottom.

Hi Matt, honestly... I still haven't messed with it since I did the video. I think about it quite a bit, and look at it almost everyday sitting on the bench. :)
I've just had sooo many other projects / priorities I have to get finished. I hoping to have time soon.

I need to make time for this project. I had everything waiting to do it with no time. Picked up another 2700 yesterday. Real shame these air filters are NLA. If there really is some interest in the bushings send me a pm. When I make mine I could buzz out a few more sets, but don't expect that to happen tomorrow!

I tried to google the youtube link to find his video. Can someone help me out?

I already told Ed soon as the job I'm on is over I'm going over to his place. I'll personally give him a boot to kick start him back on this one.

I sent him a good HDA 137 carb to try on it, but I really don't think it will change anything as I found those carbs need to be base set at least two turns out to begin with so I think he is fine with the one he already has, but we will see.

I need to make time for this project. I had everything waiting to do it with no time. Picked up another 2700 yesterday. Real shame these air filters are NLA. If there really is some interest in the bushings send me a pm. When I make mine I could buzz out a few more sets, but don't expect that to happen tomorrow!

While you got everything tooled up,make me set and just PM me when your done. I check the site daily.

I'd like to thank Ed for taking the time to think outside the box in masterminding the ultimate sleeper IMO,kinda like adapting small block chevy vortex heads to a mopar where it's a win win solution in building a very robust saw. Hat's off to Ed :bowdown:

After watching the video,I see no signs of the saw having carb issues.

Interesting this is the Ron Hartil designed Baird poulan 2700-3300 series Made in the 80's we had this unit to 65 cc back in the late 80's wen hot saws were really taking off Ive stated for years the Hartil 3.3 cube units could run circles round a wood boss stock and it always did at less than half cost .. the Black Pro craftsman model added twin ring piston . and nikasil coatings My two were burnt in a garage fire all that survived was the engine assy all plastics melted .. mine were all found in trash or being thrown out at a sears service center once yearly Had a friend at sears who'd call me in Jan to let me know throw out days coming theyre hard to find now days . I used rim sprocket at 325 pitch solid roller bar 16-18. and it could also pull a 404 setup but the 325 was much more fun . its interestin to see this Revisited again .. Thanx anyone have an old baird 5-7 cube power head theyd like to sell maybe in orig green?

Interesting this is the Ron Hartil designed Baird poulan 2700-3300 series Made in the 80's we had this unit to 65 cc back in the late 80's wen hot saws were really taking off Ive stated for years the Hartil 3.3 cube units could run circles round a wood boss stock and it always did at less than half cost .. the Black Pro craftsman model added twin ring piston . and nikasil coatings My two were burnt in a garage fire all that survived was the engine assy all plastics melted .. mine were all found in trash or being thrown out at a sears service center once yearly Had a friend at sears who'd call me in Jan to let me know throw out days coming theyre hard to find now days . I used rim sprocket at 325 pitch solid roller bar 16-18. and it could also pull a 404 setup but the 325 was much more fun . its interestin to see this Revisited again .. Thanx anyone have an old baird 5-7 cube power head theyd like to sell maybe in orig green?

I got one o' them 'frankensaws' it's not what I would call a sleeper since it is based off a 116si.

Them were pretty good ones stock.

I put a 272 top end on one and came out to damned near 77 cc!

I'm going to do another and use an OEM 7900 top end.

Perhaps I will start a thread on that one.

Latest posts

Back