Building the ultimate sleeper saw.... 46cc Craftsman into a ported 72cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how the heck i missed this thread for couple a months i'll never know. totally amazing. i always thought something like this could be done. just not by me. way to go. btw, are the bugs worked out of the saw yet?

Holy **** man! That saw is just plain sick. Too bad it ain't contagious or I'd send my saws over for a while. Good job Ed. Well played sir, well played.

Loco

Ed
You did such a great job with this thread my friend copied you. View attachment 294898
Well almost. There is no port work.
Ran it for the first time today.
The carb is a hdb from a 3400 poulan
View attachment 294899
The choke works backward from the hda carb. Plus the choke arm has to be modified to fit. Flipped and shortened..
Running the three shoe clutch also from the 3400.
Thanks for such a great idea.

Okay, I gotta get in on this, I am looking for a very lightweight but powerful saw myself.

I have a china made Homelite "pro" 46 cc saw that is the perfect weight for me to handle, can I do a p/c swap on it to boost it up to something close to what is in the thread ?

Nope!

You have to have a split cased bolt on cylinder and your saw is a clamshell.

Mike

Ed
You did such a great job with this thread my friend copied you. View attachment 294898
Well almost. There is no port work.
Ran it for the first time today.
The carb is a hdb from a 3400 poulan
View attachment 294899
The choke works backward from the hda carb. Plus the choke arm has to be modified to fit. Flipped and shortened..
Running the three shoe clutch also from the 3400.
Thanks for such a great idea.

It was a fun project
View attachment 295052View attachment 295053View attachment 295054View attachment 295055View attachment 295056
Thanks for such a detailed thread and sharing your knowledge.
I am going to look for a deferent carb the backwards choke bugs me

Hey Arrowhead. How's she running?

I have all of the parts for a copycat build and was wondering what you ended up doing with the carb? I was able to get the mag cylinder and piston off of ebay and the saw was a local CL find in really nice condition. I was also thinking of tracking down a 038 crank and machining the journals to match the stock crank. This will give it the extra stroke to get her over 70 cc along with eliminating the need for the pin bushings. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MP5N

UPDATE....

I've been super busy lately. The last time I ran the saw was in the video I posted. Mark and John both sent me different carbs to try, but haven't had the time to mess with it. I've been really wanting to get it up to where it should be, but unfortunately I have more important priorities. I'm hoping to have time in a week or so to play with it.

As for the 038 crank, I've been thinking of that also. The biggest issue is the clearance inside the crankcase. I'll try to do some measuring of the lobes and crank ends, which would both need to be turned on a machine.

Ed, you gonna start marketing these bushing?? :msp_biggrin:

Not really. I could always make some for certain members though. ;)
Until I get the saw where I'm 100% happy with it (power/performance wise) and know it's going to hold up, I hate to make anything else for it or stuff for anybody else.

I have had a Poulan 3500 Timber master sitting on the shelf for two years+ now. It has a smoked piston. Just lack the time to alter and port a jug for it. When she does go on the chopping block I'm shooting for a quad port ported jug :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back