Building the ultimate sleeper saw.... 46cc Craftsman into a ported 72cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to turn the jug bolts way down and grind on the jug some, just to get the heads to fit.
I used a pop-can gasket and ended up with a .019 squish. The comp was 150 after assembly, I haven't checked it after it ran.

IMG_8722-2.jpg

Bolt on kits ? :D Once your set up , you could put out a few a day ! :hmm3grin2orange:

I would take one !! :D

Way to much work with bolt on kits!!!

I think I will just stop by his shop someday and when he is not looking and steal the completed product...:rock:

You can see how little room there was for the bolt heads. The new holes are the larger ones.

IMG_8721.jpg

I used the factory 2 shoe clutch with a rim drum. So far so good. A heavier 3 shoe is available if needed though.

IMG_8744.jpg

I used Marks method of dual porting the muffler.

I cut a slot with the dremmel.

IMG_8731-1.jpg

Then I heated it up and lightly lifted the edge with an old screwdriver.

IMG_8732.jpg

Finished dual port. Factory look.

IMG_8736.jpg

I used Marks method of dual porting the muffler.

I cut a slot with the dremmel.

IMG_8731-1.jpg

Then I heated it up and lightly lifted the edge with an old screwdriver.

IMG_8732.jpg

Finished dual port. Factory look.

IMG_8736.jpg

You'd better do about 4 more of those. :clap::clap::clap:

I'm just thinking that anyone who hears it fire up is going to know SOMETHING is up. Heck, you'll be lucky if that saw doesn't just rear up and punch somebody in the face!!

Helluva project.

Last edited:
Everything about this build has come out so clean, I know it took lots of thinking and head scratching. This is the coolest saw I've seen in awhile.

I used part of an 036 air deflector to strengthen the back side of the muffler. I cut it and welded it on the inside. That also gave me the proper bolt pattern.

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

Here's the finished muffler. I port matched the opening.

IMG_8740.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg

IMG_8741.jpg

I had to trim a little under the cover. The plug is more angled with the Stihl jug. I had to cut a notch to make it fit.

IMG_8746.jpg

I had a new air filter I installed.

IMG_8747.jpg

Latest posts

Back