buyer beware

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry your had a bad experience. I have had a bad experience thru buying off of craigslist. i ended up getting my money back thru him paying restitution. I had a guy scam me on a set of wheels and tires that were not his to sell. he scammed several before he got cought. the Knoxville police department has me on video chasing him thru a bowling ally with a bat. he was lucky that he could run faster scared than I could mad. when the cops cought him he asked them for protection from the guy in the red and black ford truck(me). he knew when I got him cornerd I was gonna get my money in the form of a beat down being handed out. the cops really laughed about me having him so scared for his life. the cop told him ,son you don't steal from a good ol country boy like that, they tend to get a bit more than even.

Making a blanket statement like that is probably not the best way to make new friends. It would be sort of like me saying all dozer operators only took the job 'cause they couldn't finish high school and like to sit on their butt all day. Are there lazy cops? Sure. Crooked ones? Not in my department.

I hate it that you've had a bad experience with my kind, but don't think all of us are like one idiot you came across. If your experience was anything recent, call in and talk to his boss. Everybody in my profession works for somebody, some of us actually believe we can make a difference.

dd

Hey,..I resemble that remark!!...LOL
I passed up on a steal of a deal just before Christmas. We do some excavating and I got a call offering a TopCon rotary lazer level, new in the case , just missing its rechargable battery. It got lost somewhere, seller had no use for it. They run around $1000. new but this smoking deal could be had for $150. cash, money needed urgently to buy Christmas gifts. Sounded too good

I got a echo chainsaw that was won in a raffle on the shelf right now. Friends dad won it at a street fair years ago.
Some of those raffle stories do hold water. :rock:

There's several members on this forum that don't want to hear that. If it doesn't happen to fall within the guidelines of what they think can happen to others, it can't, cause it's never happened to them. A case of small minds at work obviously.

Last edited:
I was a Police Officer for 31 years until I retired.

The problem with police work is that you end up dealing with the 2% of the population that no one else wants to. That 2% can make one mighty cynical. The average person has no idea just how bad a person has to be to get incarcerated, and just how many times they have stepped "over the line". The rap sheets some offenders acquire and amount of innocent people effected is just sad. When the courts finally sentence someone to a State or Federal prison, these are truly bad people.

I am so thankful to be retired.

Let me thank you for your service Sir. :bowdown:

I got in some trouble when I was a young man.......spent some time behind bars too. I've never stolen anything in my life......but wild women, self medicating, and booze got me in trouble more than a few times. I just picked up 8 years clean and sober back in November, and can't believe I wasted so many years of my life......

What I'm saying is this, I've seen all this stuff from both sides of the street, and I thank God everyday for guys like yourself that are willing to do that job. In my past I've met some really bad guys, without men like you, those bad people would run rampant in the streets, taking what they wanted from the weaker folks.

Thank you again. Most people really have no idea what you guys go through to do that job.

Last edited:
Hey,..I resemble that remark!!...LOL

Jerry that was just a dig for the negative poster. I looked at his profile and saw he did stuff with dozers. No offense intended for you or any other heavy equipment guys out there. My Dad loves to "play" with his little JD 450. I probably should have addressed it through a PM. I figured one of the things that has made this site so comfortable for me was the camaraderie, friendship and goodwill between people who have never met and I wanted to speak my mind in a civil manner for everyone to see that adults can agree to disagree. It didn't work but at least I tried.

By the way, close the door up there, will ya? I live in Arkansas and the weather man says -5° F for Monday?!?!? Are you exporting the cold?

There's several members on this forum that don't want to hear that.

I was entered in 6 drawings this past holiday season to win a saw, or something simar (did not win any of them BTW). But they were all through sources I knew and trusted.

When it is on the street, and they are offering to sell it for a ridiculously low price, you have to ask what's going on. Especially if it is brand new.

Philbert

Jerry that was just a dig for the negative poster. I looked at his profile and saw he did stuff with dozers. No offense intended for you or any other heavy equipment guys out there. My Dad loves to "play" with his little JD 450. I probably should have addressed it through a PM. I figured one of the things that has made this site so comfortable for me was the camaraderie, friendship and goodwill between people who have never met and I wanted to speak my mind in a civil manner for everyone to see that adults can agree to disagree. It didn't work but at least I tried.

By the way, close the door up there, will ya? I live in Arkansas and the weather man says -5° F for Monday?!?!? Are you exporting the cold?

Of course you know I was just funnin on that post of mine.
It was not chainsaw related but meant more to make others aware that if an item seems too cheap then be very cautious about buying it. Now if that seller had asked $500 - $600 for that lazer level I would have thought differently but the price and story just did not add up, at least for me. Someone bought it and maybe they got the deal of a lifetime, maybe not.
Don`t you know, we export a lot of natural resources, we have plenty of cold air.

Good to be seen......

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the whole sponsorship thing. No matter whether I'm a site sponsor or not, people are gonna be talking about me, and the saws I've done. It is only fair to Darin that I continue on as a site sponsor. I'd feel bad about doing business with AS members and not paying that fee.
Smart move!

Looks like the truth hurts,typical cops. No one is entitled to an opinion execpt for the police, i think i hate cops even more now.

Looks like the truth hurts,typical cops. No one is entitled to an opinion execpt for the police, i think i hate cops even more now.

Mr. C SAW 090,

From you responses, I am curious if the answer to how many of the following questions is yes;

1. Does the local Police know you by name?
2. Do the local Police know your address?
3. Do the local Police recognize you on the street?
4. Have you ever been arrested and how many times?
5. Have you been incarcerated for any length of time?

Whenever I investigated a situation and talked two different people, we'll for the sake of discussion call A & B. Without fail the truth would lie somewhere between the two stories given. However, often it would much closer to one persons version than the other. On occasion one version would be a complete fabrication. Take it for what it's worth, an observation.

They will be back to flame you but there ignorance will precede them. You are fully entitled to your opinion.

Well Hamish, you are talking about ignorance. In the contest of this sentence structure, the proper spelling is their.

And the proper word would be context...;)

Perhaps we can get back on topic...?

OK, OK, you got me there. The phone rang and I was talking while typing.:bowdown:

Back to the topic.

TO OP, for the second time, how much did you pay for it?

Mr. C SAW 090,

From you responses, I am curious if the answer to how many of the following questions is yes;

1. Does the local Police know you by name?
2. Do the local Police know your address?
3. Do the local Police recognize you on the street?
4. Have you ever been arrested and how many times?
5. Have you been incarcerated for any length of time?

Whenever I investigated a situation and talked two different people, we'll for the sake of discussion call A & B. Without fail the truth would lie somewhere between the two stories given. However, often it would much closer to one persons version than the other. On occasion one version would be a complete fabrication. Take it for what it's worth, an observation.
Actually the awnser to ALL of yr questions is NO! I do not expect you to belive it because of who you are. See you are being a typical cop, you know better then everybody else. I bet if you had your way id be in jail right now. Chainsaws

Back