Buying First Gas Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUNYYAN JR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking for my first gas saw. Have trashed three electric saws clearing a lot with 24" pine and oak trees. I still have at least ten trees that I want to take down. I received a new John Deere 16" saw that is still in the case and was made in Mexico according to the box. Stihls and Poulans have been recommended to me with Stihls sounding like the better saw. I am willing to return my John Deere and and go with a better saw that will last several years. Any recommendations with approximate prices??

A few saws to consider; in the $300-350 range
makita 520
baileys b52

in the up to $400 range: stihl02

OTHER TO LOOK AT; STIHL 036, HUSQVARNA 357,AROUND $500
AND 346 HUSKY IS WORTH LOOKING AT.THESE ARE SOME OF THE SMALLER SAWS I HAVE USED AND LIKED,:D Dan

I'd think someone who has destroyed 3 electric saws, and calls himself 'Bunyan Jr.', needs a little less saw than he thinks he does. Whatever you buy will be destroyed just like the electrics, without proper care and use. Do you know how to sharpen and tension your chain? Do you know to fill the oil tank with bar lube EVERY time you fill the fuel tank? Do you know how to cut without sticking the chain in the dirt? Or does your chain hang an inch below the bar as you gnaw away at a limb?

Sorry for sounding so pessimistic, but the majority of people buying saws have no clue how to recognize the difference between a Stihl 026 and a Homelite Home Depot Special!

Go to Home Depot, and buy the cheapest saw there.

Here's a good site for you to read. http://international.husqvarna.com/node51.asp

Excuse me, is my EGO showing????:eek:

Last edited:
Brian, I enjoyed that Link.Very informative. I never New you were Supposed to start the Saw before attempting to cut with it! Man I bet i can Fly thru a log now! :D

GO Easy Treeclimber

When I say I "destroyed" three electrics, what I meant was that according to the dealer I bought them from, I was told that I was using too small a saw for the job. I know about sharpening the chain with a file and have done it several times. I also use the chain bar oil by the gallon. I don't let the flats of the chain show when I am cutting, so obviously I know how to properly adjust the chain. The last electric saw I returned was a Remington and the chain tensioning adjuster broke. It is a piece of metal housed inside of a piece of plastic. A poor design in my opinion. Hope this post clears up any confusion.

saw

I am a big Stihl supporter, But I am also thrifty (OK, cheap.) What size is the JD? Will it run a longer bar? Who is the closest dealer with a good reputation?
As far as the electrics, where they the 49 dollar Wen or Remingtons? You may have just wore them out. They were never intended to do this kind of service.
Do a little research and read the owner's manual. Maintenance is what keeps any saw running. Remember, the saw does the work, NOT you.

Sorry, Bunyan. I guess I'm a lil off beam tonight.
Anyway, I think something like a Stihl 025 would be a good first saw. Will run a 16" or 18" bar, and they seem to be a good value for less than $300.
I dug an old one out of the shed a month ago, hadn't run it in 5 years. Thought compression was shot, but discovered that the sparkplug was loose! Some fresh gas, new chain and sprocket, and I got another saw working! Leaks bar oil, but runs good for a 10 year old POS!

John Deere saw info

Stihltech...the John Deere is a 38cc 16inch gas saw. Some features listed on the box are: quik-fire advanced starting, vibration isolation, and quik-tight chain tensioning. It is model J3816. Cost was around $180. However, I have been reading posts on this site, and have not seen much info on ANY John Deere saws. I guess that is not a good sign??

Thanks Treeclimber

Treeclimber, thanks for the info. I did check out the link you posted and it had a lot of good info. but most of it was not news to me. I do have a question that maybe you could answer. When people refer to a "Husky" saw do they mean Husqvarna?

Too much confusion, at least for my feeble brain, What size tree are you cutting and how many. Anything 16 or under , I would recommend a wxp346. Over that, the 357wxp. You can buy cheaper saws, but why would you want to? Buy a good saw guy and be happy.

For River Mike

I am cutting at least 10 oak and pine trees. Some are 24 inches in diameter. I am looking for a good first gas saw. I have a brand new John Deere J3816 in the box. Never been used yet. It is a 16 inch with safety tip, quik-tight tensioning, and quik-fire advanced starting. I don't know if it is a good saw with a good reputation. I read on another post just a few minutes ago that Stihl has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy?? My cousin who lives in Indiana highly recommends Stihl saws. Other people have advised me to get a Poulan???

Bunyyan...what are you going to do with the saw when you are done? Are you going to throw it in a closet or shed and never use it again? Or are you going to continue cutting..cause you enjoy it so much?? lol...I am not joking..you will enjoy it...Take this into consideration...if you will never use the saw again...go for cheap and beat the heck out of it...otherwise seriously consider these other semi pro to pro saws...you will be happier in the long run...

I have no clue who would say that Stihl is filing for bankruptcy, unless it was the idiot who owns all that Pull-On stock and is trying to get you to buy one of their crappy saws. Where did you hear such nonsense?

Dennis I Plan To USe the Saw!!

Dennis...I plan to use the saw for a lifetime if possible, depending on how long I live!!!!!
I have used cheap saws in the past and got my money's worth out of them. I am now shopping for a respectable saw!!! One I can fire up so there will be no doubt in my neighbors minds that I am awake and cutting wood on my lot!!!! I need a saw that will cut down a 24 inch tree(pine or oak) and that I can use to cut into logs after I have the tree down. I don't know if I should keep my new John Deere or return it and buy a Husqvarna, a Poulan or a Stihl or something else!!! What do you recommend in the 16" or 18" range???

a 55 will cut what you have and be around after the job. $325 delivered is hard to argue with. I my opinion , get the rancher, I don't use the compression valve on my 357.

Stihl was going bankrupt....but I bailed them out. Every thing will be alright now with them....Rick:cool:

Checkout Tundrotto

treeclimber....check out tundrotto's post under the greffardized post thread. He is the one who said that Stihl filed for Chapter 11.

Back