Buying First Gas Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3 best PRO saws in that size would be a Stihl 026, Shindaiwa 488 and Husky (Husqvarna) 357. Not totally positive on the Husky model number, is that right guys?

I still think you would be better off with an 025 or the saw you got already, though.

ROFL! Tundrotto is the one fool idiot I put on 'ignore' in over a year on this site!

BUNYYAN JR, Where in NJ do you live? I'm in Dutchess county NY. If you're close enough I'll bring my 026,064 and one of my old Jonsereds so you can see wht size saw will do the job.

Sedanman Reply

I live in Ocean County....by the Seashore!!! but inland a little bit where all the trees are!!!

Treeclimber...ok...lets get one thing right now...Otto happens to be a friend of mine...he has an opinion and if I remember right....is allowed to express it...you dont have to agree with it....difference of opinion is what makes the world go round...and makes these sort of debates interesting...just cause he has a different style of voicing his opinion, doesnt make him a bad guy...

Bunyyan, Otto, like myself, gypo logger, rotax robert...kdhotsaw...myrb..rbtree...dbabcock...man I can go on here....anyway..we like to have some fun...do some ribbing...and boast our favorite saws...Otto's happened to be Husky..yep Husqvarna...so he liked to slag stihls..and that is what he was doing...was making some fun at Stihls expense...not a biggie..but not true either...lol....you will get used to who tells the most BS (hint..gypo)

By the way...
Welcome!!

Husqvarna, there brotherman. The 55 and 357 will spin 20" chains. The 357wxp will make it fun. Belive me brother, I buried my 20" 357 in a Hickory stump this weekend and it just ate. Walked around and cut the other side and finished. Very quick, Just a vew seconds. If your just limbing, go with something lighter. IMHO, the 357 will seve as an all around, if there is such a thing.

Thanks Dennis

Dennis...thanks for the welcome. I tried using search engines to gather info on what saws to buy didn't find them to be nearly as informative as this message board. I am definitely enjoying it and learning a lot in the process. Thanks for the heads up on the BS. I thought David(DDM) was the only guy on here with a sense of humor. Guess I was wrong!! As far as what I am going to do with the saw after I cut down my ten trees, maybe will go into part time business. Anybody want to give me a good deal on a used bucket truck???

Bunyyan.. you prolly got the best of the bs in that Greffardized thread, but there is some other good stuff in the "pre clearwater" thread...umm..well...ya know what? take some time and read all of them...lol..do a search on "gypo logger" and that is where the bs usually starts...oh yeah dont forget to search "rotax robert" he is a good bs'er as well...pretty much what I am saying is you can only trust me....:rolleyes:

Husky 357 vs. Stihl 026.

Do you think the Husky 357 or the Stihl 026 is a better saw when considering price, performance, ease to get replacement parts, saw features, warranty, ability to run different size chains etc.????

Hey, ya bum,

Why didnt my lil green machine keep up with the Rotax tonite? Maybe cause u forgot to tell me where the nitrous switch is?

Well, anyhow, tomorrow I run it against Mike's stock Cman, his 044, my 036, and my Madsenized 372. You better hope it wins 3 outta four, if ya wanna sleep good..........

......and what about that pipe.............

Hey bunyan, do i have a saw for you!!!! PM or email me!!

Roger B,

Ex Paul Bunyan Forest Co tree climbin' fool...uh, worker.

To you newer guys...You will always get your serious question answered sooner or later, but you gotta take the ribbin' & humor that comes with it. Thats just the way it is around here. Nothing is meant to hurt anybody...
By the way, what pissed Walt off this time Or has he gone extended fishin'?...Rick

Creep on loggin'

bunyyan,

The 357 and 026 are not in the same class, but the 346 is. For what you are cutting, the 357 would be a better saw. Dennis will sell you one mighty cheap!! Or a 2159 Jonsered, methinx.

If price is important, the 55 Husky is good, or one of my used 036 Pro Stihls, in great shape.

Email me, I may have a 4 hp brand new 10.8 lb saw for you, but it is green.

Hi Bunyan,

Saws aside, take this as friendly advice. No matter what saw you get get yourself some safety and work knowledge. Your profile says that land clearing is a hobby. Nobody clears lots with an electric chainsaw! your dealer should have been aware enough to warn you off of buying a second one never mind a third. (Find a New Dealer)I read your post last night before anyone had replied and didn't know whether to laugh or get hot like treeclimber did. This can be enjoyable work or hobby but first and foremost it is DANGEROUS if you don't have an understanding of what can happen when working around trees. I make the assumption that you are lacking a lot of this basic knowledge as your posts seem to be devoid of pretty basic stuff (like Husky & Stihl being the 2 largest manufacturers of pro quality saws) Find a new dealer who will take care of you and your saw and will answer your questions without looking cross-eyed at you. get a book or two or three on timber falling and tree work. When you are done having a heart attack because of all the silly things you have been doing, read the books again. Dent's "professional Timber Falling" is pretty good about safety and technique.
I don't offer any of this as some kind of know-it-all, because I'm not, I learn every time I cut and everytime I come to this forum. I was probably a lot like you a couple of years ago, where I was so ignorant of the basics that I kind of figured I knew what was what. I offer this as friendly and concerned warning.

As for saws, I think Poulan used to be a good saw(and I used to think that my little Home Depot 16" was a good saw) but buying a real saw will show you how much easier this can be. Stihl has a good reputation and Husky makes a good saw. I run Huskies. If I were going to buy only one saw I would get a 357xp or a 372xp(both Huskies). You are looking at $500-$600 for a saw in that range, give or take. But you are getting so much more saw that will last more than a couple of years.

If I've assumed too much and stepped on your toes, I apologize in advance. I would rather ruffle your feathers than have a tree squoosh ya!

Newfie, I think he bought them at Home
Depot. Enough Said?:blob2:
Bunyun? How many Freakin extension cords do you have? :D

Newfie Response

Hallelujiah!!!!......Finally, some straight talk from a direct guy!! Let me respond in turn.
I came to this site to get valuable information. What I have seen from some of you, is you're good at making assumptions rather than simply providing information. Pretty judgemental don't you think? A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing(that street runs both ways, in case you missed the subtlety). I don't apologize for the fact that taking down trees for me is not my full time job. I started out buying saws at Home Depot and I don't apologize for that fact either. I also don't apologize for wanting to upgrade the saws I have had in the past and in doing so learn more about tree felling. I suppose that considering how many stores Home Depot has open in this world, I might not be alone in buying my first saw there. Some you seem to come across like you are amazed that anyone would even consider buying a saw from Home Depot. It's he same concept as McDonalds. When you have that many stores open, large numbers of people are always passing through. Maybe it's time for some of you to make a reality check and stop the "Home Depot chainsaw snobbery" bit. Dale Carnegie might have been onto something when he wrote a little book titled, HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE!!!!
Regarding the statement, "Nobody clears a lot with an electric chainsaw", well I started to do just that. The reason I have SUCCESSFULLY begun that process with an electric saw is because NOBODY told me I couldn't to it!! Imagine, I didn't come out of the womb knowing the little factoid that "Nobody clears a lot with an electric chainsaw."
P.S. Newbie, thanks for recommending the Huskys.
I really am grateful even though I sound just plain disgusted. And by the way, Dennis, thanks for welcoming me to this forum. Everything considered, you have impressed me the most.

Originally posted by DDM
Newfie, I think he bought them at Home
Depot. Enough Said?:blob2:
Bunyun? How many Freakin extension cords do you have? :D

Ummm I was referring to the As usual Unknowing Help at Home Depot that kept exchanging your electric chainsaws.Apparently un knowing or caring what you were attempting to do with them and that if you do not know what size saw you need the Help at HD probably wont be much help.Because chances are the help is probably filling in from plumbing because someone in garden layed out.
And all anyone is saying in this forum is that HD sells mostly junk saws except for a few echos. If you want a Real Saw Go to a reputable Dealer.

;)
You Never answered how many feet of extension cord you have?
:D

David,
Maybe all YOU are saying is that HD sells junk saws...Look at the tone of some of the postings. Some people in this forum make a lot of assumptions(translation=jump to conclusions). And like I said, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Don't you think one function of a forum is to attract new people, grow your ranks and share knowledge, opinions, point of view etc?? The obvious answer is "yes." I don't think people at any forum attract new people by jumping to conclusions etc.
I have learned by reading postings at this site(because I am willing to study) and I have learned by asking questions and hopefully getting some intelligent answers. You have a good sense of humor which tells me that you are an intelligent guy. I think you realize, as do I that there are probably some chuckleheads on this site, that maybe should avoid consuming alcohol prior to logging on to arboristsite.com(due to the fact that they might be down to their last few remaining brain cells) and posting anything.

By the way, my extension cord is a 200 feet long and I purchased it at, you probably guessed it, HOME DEPOT.

Hey Bunyon, Leave the Drunk Canucks out of this Speaking of Drunk canucks....
Where is Gypo! :D
Hey dont get me wrong I spent quite a bundle at HD But I guess Most of us know that they sell inexpensive Home owner model saws. There was a post on here a while back i cant remember who posted it the About sized it up. They were asked while browsing the Saws at HD by another customer which saw there was best he told the fellow none and told him to go to the HD rental department and see what brand was rented there. and assured him it wouldnt be a model sold by HD.

did that make sense?

LOL Bunyon Guess you decided to buy a gas saw because you got tired of rolling up the 200' of cord! :D

Yes David..that made sense....And I get what you mean about Home Depot and their saws. All I'm saying is that ignorant people at this site should not try to make newcomers feel ashamed for buying their first saw at Home Depot. Hundreds of thousands of people shop there every day. Maybe even some chainsaw gurus on this site made that same mistake when they were first starting out!!!
I will definitely be returning the John Deere J3816 saw to Home Depot(unused!). Will look to get a Husky 357xp or a Stihl 026. What do you think?
One other point..just because I started clearing my lot with an electric saw doesn't mean I dont' know what hinge wood is...you know what I mean?? I am tired of hearing from guys who assume I am only one cut away from driving myself into the ground from a falling tree, like some cartoon character!!

Back