Can you fit a full cord in a pickup box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned a LOT of Dodge Cummins 2500 and a Silverado 2500, not one has ever weighed more than 6400#s. Seems that would be a waste of 3000#s when competing in a similar class/market?
they must have been 2wd.
the 4wd I own weighs right around 7500lbs with me in it (200lbs)

Just ain't buying a stock F250 weighs 10k empty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I just looked it up...a 2012 F250 (regardless of configuration) is a max GVW of 10k and a curb weight of about 7500 (crew cab/diesel)...that's from Ford's site. Even the SRW F350 is only 10500 GVW. That's more in line with all the others...

If you're scaling empty at 9800 pounds, you have 200#s of capacity left...hopefully you have a light saw.

Back on topic, while firewood is our interest; ever see the guys with loads of the small hay bales? That stuff ain't light and they stack it well over the cab.

I was at the store 2 days ago and there was an s-10 with 2 round bales and about 400 lbs of sack feed in the bed. The bumper was just about rubbing the dirt!

I was at the store 2 days ago and there was an s-10 with 2 round bales and about 400 lbs of sack feed in the bed. The bumper was just about rubbing the dirt!
That's what I'm talking about!

The best overload I ever saw should be a Chevy DuraMax commercial...I was heading south on I44 towards Tulsa and here comes a SRW crewcab Silverado (either a 2500HD or a SRW 3500) with a triple axle (dual wheels mind you) trailer with not only a triaxle dump truck on it, but a FULLY LOADED triaxle at that!

I ran the numbers roughly through mind two brain cells and figured 7k for the truck, probably 15k for the trailer, and probably 80k for the dump? Over 100k pounds!

I was glad he was going north, and was back there, and not in front of me.

Tri axle dump as in 10 wheeler or 14 wheeler?

Most 10 wheelers are good for 45-50k, a 14 wheeler could be around that or a bit more. I don't think you'd legally sit at 80k.

None the less... lot of weight!

Some years back there was a farmer that drove through town. Had 2 full size John Deeres, I forget the model, but they were articulating tractors and duallie tires on all 4.
He had TWO of those loaded on a trailer, towing with a duallie Dodge 3500. No flags, no pilot cars, no overside (well over 10ft wide). I was eating lunch at MacDonald's and I hear a diesel working HARD. I looked over to see and I saw that whole crapstorm pulling away from the stoplight. He was headed North which mean 10-14% grades, roads with lanes barely 10ft wide, no shoulder, mountain cliffs, with minimal guardrails, etc.... I hate driving that section even in my car!

The-Most-Overloaded-Truck-11.jpg

my 04 Cummins 3500 CC SRW only weighs around #7600, GVW is #9900...

Thats a lot of bloat there. 88 K1500 is rated for 6400, across the scale empty at 4400. You're draggin over 3000 pounds more around to carry 300 more pounds.

I'll grant you more towing capacity, but my point is trucks these days are fat pigs.

Thats a lot of bloat there. 88 K1500 is rated for 6400, across the scale empty at 4400. You're draggin over 3000 pounds more around to carry 300 more pounds.

I'll grant you more towing capacity, but my point is trucks these days are fat pigs.

Steve, how can you really compare a diesel crew cab to gas powered regular(or maybe extended cab) cab truck. Compare the PP dodge to a 88 3+3 k20 with a 6.2l turd of a diesel and the specs would be a lot closer

The feel of a 2500/3500 versus a 1500 is night and day...I thought my dad was nuts for buying a 2500 after owning 1500s, after hauling one load with his truck, my next truck was a 2500 and I have never regretted it. I have owned no less than seven Cummins and several gassers since then, my next truck will be a 3500.

Yep, I agree and will not own another 1500, bought my '05 Dodge 2500 Hemi and hauling loads, trailers, anything feels so much more stable than 1500's. Granted growing up we loaded our old '76 chevy 1/2 ton to the max every weekend with scrap iron, wood, and anything else. NEVER had any spring, tire, or suspension problems. But, I hate the feeling of front tires just touching the gravel. Ride is not the best, but oh well. Father in laws '08 3500 Dodge cummins actually rides better than mine. With gas prices dropping like they are, I may be waiting on getting a cummins for a few years. And when I do it may be running red fuel

You guys miss my point. Read my last line again. Sure, they're better at towing with a big diesel, but those heavier axles and springs are just being used to hold up the fat that makes these cowboy cadillacs palatable to Mrs. Truck Buyer.

"Honey, I need a new truck. This one's got a cloth seat, 2-60 air conditioning, and will haul 4000 lbs".

"No, we need a minivan for the chillins."

"Well, how about this one, it's got 4 doors, room for 6, powerheatedleatherremoteeverything, and a stubby little box so it can fit in your garage."

"Sure dear."

My 05 Silverado I bought this fall is guilty as charged, but it's not primarily a hauler. Does pretty good with a 7K trailer back behind it though.

If you really gotta tow stuff, you can get a real truck a heck of a lot cheaper than a Cowboy Cadillac, and get a sleeper for when Mrs. Truck Buyer sends you to the doghouse for it.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5709821

Kinda getting off track a bit?
Any 1 ton truck will handle a cord of wood way better than a half ton.

Damn, I must be a year ahead of myself. Swore the first post said Dec of 13 when I looked. I was probably thinking of another near identical thread with the same arguments and the same suspects in it.

I'm gonna have another swig and go to bed...

Most 1 tons run the same drive train whether it's gas or diesel powered.

My small dump is a one ton and it hauls 2 cords just fine. Hardly even notice just one cord.

I have a half ton with helper springs and 10 ply tires. I have never tried to haul a cord of wood in it. I pull a cord plus on the trailer with no issues. 10 miles round trip. I can haul 1.5 tons of coal with no problem and it has room for me an a few of my kids when we go to the woodlot. The best part is it cost me all of $500 and is actually a pretty nice truck!

When I stepped UP to a 3/4 ton pu from a half ton, waaaaay back when, it was a BIG step UP... And, when I stepped up to a one ton "dually" it was another big step up,

standard.jpg

especially when pulling heavy trailers, the duals really help with stability,

standard.jpg

SR

When I stepped UP to a 3/4 ton pu from a half ton, waaaaay back when, it was a BIG step UP... And, when I stepped up to a one ton "dually" it was another big step up,

standard.jpg

especially when pulling heavy trailers, the duals really help with stability,

standard.jpg

SR
That's a bad @ss truck. I love the old 1st gen cummins.

Latest posts

Back