Can you fit a full cord in a pickup box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red97

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A full std cord is 4x4x8 correct? I chopped a couple limb off of a field oak and I think I am close to 3/4 cord in this load.

Does that sound about right?

This is my 2nd season of burning I am trying to keep track of wood used this year.

Thank you
Joe

3/4 cord in that truck sounds about right. iv'e stacked a cord in an 8 ft bed already but it's over the roof and the thing is way overloaded.
It shouldn't be stacked that high to get a full cord.

4x4x8=128 cu ft

Pickup truck is about 5.5 wide

5.5x8 times X=128. X=2.9 feet.

Stack it a little higher to make up for the wheel wells and slope of the interior sides.

I can't get a full cord on mine without racks. I figure 5 feet (inside of the bed rails) by 7 1/2 feet (I always have a gap at the tailgate). If I'm careful, about 3/4 of a cord. With my cab high racks, well over a cord. Glad it's a one ton, I would have destroyed a flanged axle by now.

I can't get a full cord on mine without racks. I figure 5 feet (inside of the bed rails) by 7 1/2 feet (I always have a gap at the tailgate). If I'm careful, about 3/4 of a cord. With my cab high racks, well over a cord. Glad it's a one ton, I would have destroyed a flanged axle by now.

That's a good point.

There's definitely something to be said about loading to what the truck should carry versus what it can carry.

I'm pretty sure I can get 1.5 cords in my truck and it handles it just fine!

That's a good point.

There's definitely something to be said about loading to what the truck should carry versus what it can carry.

I was asking my boss about this, he's had numerous trucks over the years. At his shop/store/warehouse in town, he sells some farm chemicals that are palletized. He said he loads on some guys trucks, two, one ton loads and they squat and drive away. I said I wouldn't do that in a regular truck, he agreed, but some guys do that. When he hauls big stuff like that for himself he uses the f450 flatbed dump.

I know I am not gonna overload the trucks I have, I might push it a scosh, say half ton rated, and put estimated 3/4 ton, but that's it. Proly shouldn't even do that, but just started hauling the other day and it's only a mile away.

Well... I have the same truck as in your Avatar. A full load of green Doug fir is lighter than my camper. A cord and a half, true measured volume would probably put me over my RAWR. But, I'm old and cautious.
I'm sure it's more weight than my truck is rated for but like I said it handles it just fine. I'm running beefier springs and I'm not worried about the axle. Those big sterling axles are tough. Just make sure you have good breaks! When fully loaded I don't push it over 45 mph.

I know I am not gonna overload the trucks I have, I might push it a scosh, say half ton rated, and put estimated 3/4 ton, but that's it. Proly shouldn't even do that, but just started hauling the other day and it's only a mile away.
I push it too. Really, the most critical point of the system is different on every truck. Flanged axles on a half ton suffer from flexing at high speeds, and you end up with metal fatigue, and then a rear tire/wheel assembly goes left on the freeway. It bounces twice, and goes through the windshield of a bus full of nuns and schoolchildren going the opposite way, suddenly you're on national news. I dislike being on the news.

I push it too. Really, the most critical point of the system is different on every truck. Flanges axles on a half ton suffer from flexing at high speeds, and you end up with metal fatigue, and then a rear tire/wheel assembly goes left on the freeway. It bounces twice, and goes through the windshield of a bus full of nuns and schoolchildren going the opposite way, suddenly you're on national news. I dislike being on the news.

Ya, I am switching to a farm trailer soon anyway. There's one I use but his other goofs are using it right now, so I loaded the truck up instead.

I really want a nice cap and just haul the saws and gear in the truck and use the trailer for wood.

Most all axle shafts have flanges. The term your looking for is full floating(good) and semi floating(not as good). For those novices who don't understand

A Full floating hub rides on bearings on the axle tube. The hub itself bolts to the wheels and the shaft bolts to the hub. The axle shaft only provides the torque to the wheels and carries no weight.

A semi floating axle has no hub but just a flange that the wheel bolts to. The bearing is inside the axle tube that the shaft rides in. Shaft takes all abuse, twisting, weight, and shock loads.

Nearly all 1/2 tons are semi floating. Some 3/4 ton trucks are semi and others are floating. Easy way of telling is look at the center of the back wheel. Does a hub come out(newer trucks mount a chrome cover)? If so it's full floating. I have never seen a 3500 with semifloating axles

Train
I suspect the OP considered that, since his photo shows a DRW truck. I remember the other truck he showed a load of wood in, it may or may not have had a full floating axle. Makes a huge difference. I hate seeing half tons on the freeway with an empty hole in the end of the axle housing.

My normal wood haulers are 1 ton duallys my newest one is getting injectors today. STD cab 1 ton duallys duramax and 4x4. Should be easier to get in the woods. The other truck your are talking about is my fun/ nice truck. It has a Dana 60 front with 1.5" outer shafts and a sterling 10.25 rear. And 1410 u joints top bottom front and rear driveshafts. Not worried about the drivetrain there. Now the springs are just half tons so she squats easy.

Back