Can you fit a full cord in a pickup box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see the problem. I get at least 12 cords on my truck.

transportation-madness-part2-34.jpg

I think anybody would be hard pressed to get over a cord in a regular pickup . Most people are not accounting for the big wheel wells or the slope of the sides . That's a lot of volume left out in your equation. Is it possible yeah is it safe no

I am thinking he got stepside confused with dually.

Ya, I am switching to a farm trailer soon anyway. There's one I use but his other goofs are using it right now, so I loaded the truck up instead.

I really want a nice cap and just haul the saws and gear in the truck and use the trailer for wood.
That's my preference, haul all the weight on the trailer. My trailer has more weight capacity than the truck and its got brakes...less stress on the truck, and me. No worry about where to put the saw with a full load either...

If you stacked a full cord of green locust, oak, hickory, hedge, or mulberry in a 1/2-ton pickup that's racked up to hold the load, I doubt you would want to drive the truck. Figure 4,500 lb and take it from there (but not in the truck).

One thing to remember is that 1500/150 is not 1/2 ton, 2500/250 is not 3/4 ton, and 3500/350 is not 1 ton.

My 2500hd is rated at 3400#s in the bed IIRC...most 1500s are rated over a ton. I think the last rating on a DRW Dodge 3500 I saw was 5300#s...the single rear wheel Dodge 3500 was actually rate higher on the rear suspension and axle at one point than the e-rated tires would carry.

Not saying 4500#s is safe in a 1500, but they haul more than 1000#s!!

One thing to remember is that 1500/150 is not 1/2 ton, 2500/250 is not 3/4 ton, and 3500/350 is not 1 ton.

My 2500hd is rated at 3400#s in the bed IIRC...most 1500s are rated over a ton. I think the last rating on a DRW Dodge 3500 I saw was 5300#s...the single rear wheel Dodge 3500 was actually rate higher on the rear suspension and axle at one point than the e-rated tires would carry.

Not saying 4500#s is safe in a 1500, but they haul more than 1000#s!!
You have made my point very clearly. It is rather easy to overload a pickup truck and destroy it while doing so.

I have a one ton junk truck I use to haul tossed wood in. A fellow had a tree cut down but the crew never came back he called me if I would want it. I went over we loaded half on the truck I went to the scales and weighted 2800 lb went home split it put it in the kiln. Eat super watch a little tv went to bed why would I want to load the truck till it's running over it this a macho game or something to see who can get the most on a truck got me.

Attachments

• my helper.jpg
    my helper.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 27
Yep! That's why just on the forum here we like to use the actual definition of a cord when talking measurements. Locally, no one cares, rick/rank/face/bush cord, stack,craigslist "load".... but here, if we can stay on the same page it makes the discussions easier.

Two loads of oak I did this weekend in the chevy 1/2 ton were roughly 1/3rd cord easy apiece. I had room plus suspension leftover.

Now in my ratsun truck, those would have been wicked full loads heaped up high..wouldn't have done it. Quarter cord..maybe.
In the area I live it is a rank people on here some times want to argue that. I delivered some firewood to a elderly couple as a favor He wanted to know if that was a rank I told him I would be back in about a hour and a half. I went home and took 2 half rank stand bolted them to gether returned to his house. Stacked the wood in the frame had trouble getting it to stay on top because it was way over a rank. I told him that was a rank at the top of the six byes. He said I have never got that much befor I said one time shot tell your grand son don't call me for you I don't do bulk firewood thats for the beer drinkers and this rank plus is free I left. His grandson called me this winter ask if I could help his grandpa out with a little wood I just hung up no answer. Thats one of the reasons I don't sell bulk people have problem believing you. I sell only bundled firewood when you deliver it they glad to see you and pay you.

In the area I live it is a rank people on here some times want to argue that. I delivered some firewood to a elderly couple as a favor He wanted to know if that was a rank I told him I would be back in about a hour and a half. I went home and took 2 half rank stand bolted them to gether returned to his house. Stacked the wood in the frame had trouble getting it to stay on top because it was way over a rank. I told him that was a rank at the top of the six byes. He said I have never got that much befor I said one time shot tell your grand son don't call me for you I don't do bulk firewood thats for the beer drinkers and this rank plus is free I left. His grandson called me this winter ask if I could help his grandpa out with a little wood I just hung up no answer. Thats one of the reasons I don't sell bulk people have problem believing you. I sell only bundled firewood when you deliver it they glad to see you and pay you.
Can you post a picture of the bundles that you sell?

You would have to stack the wood tight and high to fit a face cord let alone a real full cord in an 8' pickup bed.
Yup.
1/2 cord in a full-size standard bed is tightly stacked/packed from cab to tailgate (no dead space) and 4" above the sides (flat, not domed center). This is how we sold almond out of the field (U-pick up/haul) in the San Joaquin valley for a lot of years. Since we (cutters) got paid by the cord you can bet we didn't let a load go out with a stick more than what was paid for. You cannot get a full cord on that same truck w/o rails...at least w/o losing a lot of wood driving down the road :p
green oak/almond weighs nearly 6,000#/cord...not recommend

Back