Can you fit a full cord in a pickup box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the last line, I was trying to point out they made fat pigs in 1988 to. Fat slow underpowered pigs, Chevy 3+3's.

I agree with you on the buy a bigger truck cause it's cheaper however

image.jpg

Gmc 6500 with a 3126b w/800lbs of torque cat, six speed, air ride seats and rear axle. 19.5 tires. Gets 15 mpg unloaded/ loaded (bed). About 10k cheaper than an equivalent age quadcab 2500/3500 pickup. To a while to find a manual quadcab however. Was going to do a semi, actually had a down payment on a western star but the buyer **** on our agreement when another guy showed up and offered more money a couple of hours before I showed up to take it home. Luckily I did get my money back. After looking at it more however the view and ride of someone in the sleeper converted to a bench seat was not pleasant so I went with the medium duty truck

The feel of a 2500/3500 versus a 1500 is night and day...I thought my dad was nuts for buying a 2500 after owning 1500s, after hauling one load with his truck, my next truck was a 2500 and I have never regretted it. I have owned no less than seven Cummins and several gassers since then, my next truck will be a 3500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I Believe the new single wheel 3500 are just different badges on the doors of 2500, If you go to dual wheels then you gain more springs and a few other goodies.

You guys miss my point. Read my last line again. Sure, they're better at towing with a big diesel, but those heavier axles and springs are just being used to hold up the fat that makes these cowboy cadillacs palatable to Mrs. Truck Buyer.

"Honey, I need a new truck. This one's got a cloth seat, 2-60 air conditioning, and will haul 4000 lbs".

"No, we need a minivan for the chillins."

"Well, how about this one, it's got 4 doors, room for 6, powerheatedleatherremoteeverything, and a stubby little box so it can fit in your garage."

"Sure dear."

My 05 Silverado I bought this fall is guilty as charged, but it's not primarily a hauler. Does pretty good with a 7K trailer back behind it though.

If you really gotta tow stuff, you can get a real truck a heck of a lot cheaper than a Cowboy Cadillac, and get a sleeper for when Mrs. Truck Buyer sends you to the doghouse for it.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=5709821

That's why you get the std cab rubber floor version 3500 dually. No bells, all whistle. LOL

I read the last line, I was trying to point out they made fat pigs in 1988 to. Fat slow underpowered pigs, Chevy 3+3's.

I agree with you on the buy a bigger truck cause it's cheaper however

View attachment 389383

Gmc 6500 with a 3126b w/800lbs of torque cat, six speed, air ride seats and rear axle. 19.5 tires. Gets 15 mpg unloaded/ loaded (bed). About 10k cheaper than an equivalent age quadcab 2500/3500 pickup. To a while to find a manual quadcab however. Was going to do a semi, actually had a down payment on a western star but the buyer **** on our agreement when another guy showed up and offered more money a couple of hours before I showed up to take it home. Luckily I did get my money back. After looking at it more however the view and ride of someone in the sleeper converted to a bench seat was not pleasant so I went with the medium duty truck

I cant argue with the medium truck stuff. But for me semi commercial. The plates and insurance per month on a med duty truck, was almost the same as the payment on a new crew cab diesel:cry: And then you have the scale thing and log books. You can fly under the radar with the 3500 dually. Because it is a mrs truck and everywhere.

I Believe the new single wheel 3500 are just different badges on the doors of 2500, If you go to dual wheels then you gain more springs and a few other goodies.

"IF" that's true, it's only true for the last few years, as one ton trucks have always had a heavier frame than a 3/4 ton pu.

I would check that out before I'd count on it being true...

SR

"IF" that's true, it's only true for the last few years, as one ton trucks have always had a heavier frame than a 3/4 ton pu.

I would check that out before I'd count on it being true...

SR
I think 5500 are a little bigger. It measures 14 inches tall behind the cab. :muscle:

MVC-009S_1.JPG

Only talking gm 2500 3500 crew cab pickup.

Just having a little fun. I do know one the late 70's Chevys the 3/4's had a smaller frame on the rear half of the truck compared to a 1 ton. The front frame was indeed the same. Both could be gotten with a dana 60 front and corp. 14 bolt rear.

IMG_0288.JPG

This is a one ton frame.

my 04 cummins 3500 CC srw has the same frame, same axles, etc as a dually, a dually does have a few extra leafs in their spring packs, but that's it, everything else is the same...

I cant argue with the medium truck stuff. But for me semi commercial. The plates and insurance per month on a med duty truck, was almost the same as the payment on a new crew cab diesel:cry: And then you have the scale thing and log books. You can fly under the radar with the 3500 dually. Because it is a mrs truck and everywhere.

Huh. Since this is a 2001 it's pretty much depreciated out and I pay I think 216 dollars for weight fees on the plates and another 30-40 dollars in property taxes on it. Insurance is about the same a year. I could get farm plates for half price(150 mile commercial radius) and indiana does allow you to use farm trucks for personal use outside that radius(or state) but talking with guys that do, educating Illinois and other states DOT cops about indiana law is a hassle I don't want to deal with.

Even though I am under 26000 on the truck any trailer over 10000 technically requires a cdl(except campers and farm plates). States out west require 1 tons to cross the scales now and as cash strapped states look for revenue they will stop ignoring the little guy. Illinois has taken it to the extreme. I live just 15 mile from the border and many farmers used go into Illinois for personal supplies and parts. Several have been stopped for driving 1 ton trucks will fuel or welding tanks in the bed and no hazmat cdl or hazmat placards. One guy it was a 5 gallon can of gas. According to IL any drw 1 ton is commercial unless you have a camper shell on it. Most farmers drive a little further now and stay out of IL. They were also ticketing farm plate semi truck drivers(IL residents) for not having CDL. CDL are not required for intrastate commerce. IL said because the grain elevator was selling it out of state it was interstate commerce.
:angry:
IL has lost so much business from border IN residence and IL residence moving here that it had to mean lost revenue for them compared to the fines collected

I'm pretty sure the frames are the same between a 2500 and 3500 as they are tubular these days (at least for a Dodge or GM, never had a Ford). Dodge went to the tubular frame in 2003, Chevy in 2011. The difference in feel between a channel frame a tube frame is night and day. The tube frame has it all over the channel frame except for ease of straightening. Until you get into the 450/550 and 4500/5500 series...and maybe the 3500 Dodge chassis cabs.

The 3500s in the Dodge got the second leaf spring pack that was called a camper package in the late 90s Dodge. I owned two 99 Dodge 2500 with the camper package, they were essentially SRW 3500s when there was no such animal. They badged the camper package as a SRW 3500 in the third generation (2003+). I think it was to try to corner that market that both GM and Ford already had a presence. The early Dodge 3500s actually had a higher rear GAWR than the rear tires could support...there was a big debate on that on TDR at one point.

As long as you use it for personal stuff, even a Semi can be used as a non-commercial truck. But as soon as you take $ to haul something. I was looking at the 4wd Mitsubishi trucks at one time in place of a pickup. Or even a 5 ton military 6x6.

Huh. Since this is a 2001 it's pretty much depreciated out and I pay I think 216 dollars for weight fees on the plates and another 30-40 dollars in property taxes on it. Insurance is about the same a year. I could get farm plates for half price(150 mile commercial radius) and indiana does allow you to use farm trucks for personal use outside that radius(or state) but talking with guys that do, educating Illinois and other states DOT cops about indiana law is a hassle I don't want to deal with.

Even though I am under 26000 on the truck any trailer over 10000 technically requires a cdl(except campers and farm plates). States out west require 1 tons to cross the scales now and as cash strapped states look for revenue they will stop ignoring the little guy. Illinois has taken it to the extreme. I live just 15 mile from the border and many farmers used go into Illinois for personal supplies and parts. Several have been stopped for driving 1 ton trucks will fuel or welding tanks in the bed and no hazmat cdl or hazmat placards. One guy it was a 5 gallon can of gas. According to IL any drw 1 ton is commercial unless you have a camper shell on it. Most farmers drive a little further now and stay out of IL. They were also ticketing farm plate semi truck drivers(IL residents) for not having CDL. CDL are not required for intrastate commerce. IL said because the grain elevator was selling it out of state it was interstate commerce.
:angry:
IL has lost so much business from border IN residence and IL residence moving here that it had to mean lost revenue for them compared to the fines collected

That is why the next "work" truck is going to be a class 8 motorhome conversion, 20ft living 20ft garage. It is a RV so exempt on everything commercial related. LOL Pretty sad when RV people get more pull than the farmer.

I'm pretty sure the frames are the same between a 2500 and 3500 as they are tubular these days (at least for a Dodge or GM, never had a Ford). Dodge went to the tubular frame in 2003, Chevy in 2011. The difference in feel between a channel frame a tube frame is night and day. The tube frame has it all over the channel frame except for ease of straightening. Until you get into the 450/550 and 4500/5500 series...and maybe the 3500 Dodge chassis cabs.

The 3500s in the Dodge got the second leaf spring pack that was called a camper package in the late 90s Dodge. I owned two 99 Dodge 2500 with the camper package, they were essentially SRW 3500s when there was no such animal. They badged the camper package as a SRW 3500 in the third generation (2003+). I think it was to try to corner that market that both GM and Ford already had a presence. The early Dodge 3500s actually had a higher rear GAWR than the rear tires could support...there was a big debate on that on TDR at one point.

As long as you use it for personal stuff, even a Semi can be used as a non-commercial truck. But as soon as you take $ to haul something. I was looking at the 4wd Mitsubishi trucks at one time in place of a pickup. Or even a 5 ton military 6x6.

All I was getting at Is a 3500 single wheel truck Is nothing more than a 2500 truck with different badges anymore. As long as they have the same powertrain.

What I think is funny is the dual wheel gas truck can legally tow/haul more than the same exact diesel truck.

Just having a little fun. I do know one the late 70's Chevys the 3/4's had a smaller frame on the rear half of the truck compared to a 1 ton. The front frame was indeed the same. Both could be gotten with a dana 60 front and corp. 14 bolt rear.

IMG_0288.JPG

This is a one ton frame.

What is that pretty thing under?

I was aware of the differences in the older trucks. I have had a few but true one ton's are rare/ expensive around here.

Well, the comparison is broad. looking up my '87 Ford with a 6.9 (about 820 lbs) versus a 460 Ford (640 lbs to 720 lbs) seemed apples to apples. And you get a cascade effect. My diesel truck has different front springs, additional fuel handling equipment... The point is accurate, diesel engine trucks have a lower payload and tow rating because their empty weight is higher than a comparable equipped gasoline powered truck.

I suspect my middle name should have been ad nauseneum... My wife is always after me to simplify instead of amplify.

Latest posts

Back