Can you fit a full cord in a pickup box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would have to stack the wood tight and high to fit a face cord let alone a real full cord in an 8' pickup bed.
Define Face Cord. As I cut wood, a face cord would be just over a foot deep in the bed of my truck. 128 cubic feet to a cord, 4x4x8. 1/3 of that with 16" wood, 43 cubic feet. 5 feet wide, 8' long, 1 foot 2 inches deep. Easy stacking. I used to use a Toyota as my wood hauler, it was perfect for a "Face Cord".

A face cord is a stack 16' long x 4' tall, 18" - 20" long splits. There is no way to fit that much wood in a long bed without side rails.

A face cord is a stack 16' long x 4' tall, 18" - 20" long splits. There is no way to fit that much wood in a long bed without side rails.
Wrong, according to nearly all who use face cord to measure wood, face cord and rick are interchangeable to most. 4 x 8 feet by 16 inches for the face cord.

Wrong, according to nearly all who use face cord to measure wood, face cord and rick are interchangeable to most. 4 x 8 feet by 16 inches for the face cord.
I am wrong on the terminology of "face cord", but around here firewood is sold by the 8' x 4' stack and is called a half cord, a 16' x 4' is called a full cord.

I guess there are obviously several different definitions of face cord and rick.
http://www.firewood-for-life.com/rick-of-firewood.html

Yep! That's why just on the forum here we like to use the actual definition of a cord when talking measurements. Locally, no one cares, rick/rank/face/bush cord, stack,craigslist "load".... but here, if we can stay on the same page it makes the discussions easier.

Two loads of oak I did this weekend in the chevy 1/2 ton were roughly 1/3rd cord easy apiece. I had room plus suspension leftover.

Now in my ratsun truck, those would have been wicked full loads heaped up high..wouldn't have done it. Quarter cord..maybe.

So which axle is this? I just looked at the diff, 14 bolt.

Attachments

• IMG_20141215_135246.jpg
    IMG_20141215_135246.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 114

Not free floating, regular used on 1/2 tons. Free floating axles have bolts and hub that protrude thru the middle of the rim,similar to the front axle "hub", only the look...like this

th

Not sure when they started putting full free float axles on trucks. Sometimes they called them a "heavy half" and used 6-8 lugs instead of 5.

That is a gm 9.5" ring gear semi float rear axle Plenty stout under normal driving. It dosent have the weight capacity of a 14bolt full float 73-00 gm were 10.5" ring gear

Not sure when they started putting full free float axles on trucks. Sometimes they called them a "heavy half" and used 6-8 lugs instead of 5.

Gm used the 14bolt 6 lug was used in the 88-98 truck's Light duty 3/4 ton

Actually gm made a 5 lug 14 bolt semi float for the 454ss pickup 89-91 If it came with a th400 trans they had 3.73 gears and the 4l80 trans got 4:10's

split.jpg 2PPacker, I think you might still be wrong. Earlier you said the splits were 18- 20" long. If that is correct then a stack of them 4' high and 16' long still wouldn't be a 1/2 cord. Still short the 4-6" of length on each split which is approx 16 to 25% short. Now if the splits were 24" long you would be correct.

It could be done. If you run the stacks the opposite way of the picture. 4 stacks 8 foot long 3 foot high. Plus a little extra for the wheel wells. You would need a 2x 10 rack. It would be heavy and your splits would have to be 16 inches or a little less to get em in there. 16 inches is standard around me if you cut them longer your just giving them extra.

Latest posts

Back