Chainsaw meets jeans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, they just think it will never happen to them
same people that tell me they wear gloves while using a lathe "because they stop the metal shavings"

yeah theres people so stupid that they actually think jeans will stop a saw, and im not talking about people that think it won't happen to them

ive also met people who think boots will save them from a saw

When I was 16 I was cut by a chainsaw someone else was operating when he experienced kickback. I had on a pair of jeans. They offered NO protection whatsoever. It hit me in the calf and was over in about 1 second. I won't go into gory details. Suffice it to say it cut half way thru my calf.

I now wear chaps EVERY time I operate a chainsaw and I strongly encourage all of you do the same. They offer great protection and are way cheaper than even walking into the emergency room, much less when you include any surgical fees.

Be careful out there and please wear your personal protection equipment!
I don’t believe my STIHL chaps have protection in the calf area ? They go to the ground and zipper around my lower leg.

same people that tell me they wear gloves while using a lathe "because they stop the metal shavings"

yeah theres people so stupid that they actually think jeans will stop a saw, and im not talking about people that think it won't happen to them

ive also met people who think boots will save them from a saw
I was at a machine shop that this happened. Killed the guy.

He will learn, so why discourage him so much? That ain't the way to do it.
I put him on 'ignore' a long time ago. That way I don't have to read his arcane drivel and it don't clutter up my pages either. I see he changed his screen name as well. Candidly, I liked the original one better. Mr. Metsa or whatever it was, was a lot better. At my age, I don't suffer fools all that well.

I put him on 'ignore' a long time ago. That way I don't have to read his arcane drivel and it don't clutter up my pages either. I see he changed his screen name as well. Candidly, I liked the original one better. Mr. Metsa or whatever it was, was a lot better. At my age, I don't suffer fools all that well.
I also liked his old name better.

I was at a machine shop that this happened. Killed the guy.
Accidents happen in any workplace and it's usually from not paying attention or disregarding proper procedures. I own and operated a short run machine and fab shop and neither I nor my employees wear gloves when running machine tools like lathes and mills and never have, but then grabbing a piece of swarf coming off a lathe tool or milling cutter is begging to get injured. Don't happen here as myself and my employees are smarter than that.

Accidents happen in any workplace and it's usually from not paying attention or disregarding proper procedures. I own and operated a short run machine and fab shop and neither I nor my employees wear gloves when running machine tools like lathes and mills and never have, but then grabbing a piece of swarf coming off a lathe tool or milling cutter is begging to get injured. Don't happen here as myself and my employees are smarter than that.
I used to be proud of how tough my hands were when running a lathe. I could grab hot pieces right out of the chuck.

Apparently he was cleaning up threads on a 4” diameter pipe with sandpaper or something similar. He was told many times not to wear gloves. 21 years experience.

Apparently he was cleaning up threads on a 4” diameter pipe with sandpaper or something similar. He was told many times not to wear gloves. 21 years experience.
Sounds pretty shaky to me. Properly chased threads on any object, rarely need dressing, unless the threading tool was improperly aligned, or the coolant was not applied or something else was not correct. In my shop neither myself nor any of my employees would alter a thread profile with abrasive of any kind because that would compromise the sealing of the mating threads. Sounds wonky to me.

That is foolish. Not only are they hot, they have sharp edges. That will cut you quickly. A wood block or length of metal is much safer if you must.
We took pride in our Calais' , because of them we didn't get hurt.

That's the point. Get people thinking about safety. This video will help amateurs learn the importance of safety with saws.
Wait, WUT? You need to change your name to Mr. Pot! You may be learning to entertain, but you are not qualified to call anyone else an amateur.
We all know about you, I'm shocked your not running the country by now with everything you know.
Wait, you think politicians know things? Our system is so miserable anyone with any value chooses to stay away. I first heard that in school 45 years ago. Other than the volume of the arguments and the inability to compromise, nothing has changed.

Latest posts

Back