Chainsaw photography

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing special... first post of a pic from D2H MS660
still experimenting of course... two shots below compared, both shot with flash

D2H set a low grade jpg and a Raw image per shot.
BXP_4173.jpg

Sony DSC P73 shot at VGA
DSC08230.jpg

Last edited:
QUOTE=mdavlee;3170389]Does any one use a 5d mark II? I've been looking at it as an upgrade from a t2i.[/QUOTE]

I would like to get one,but $$$.Ive got a Canon EOS 40D for the moment,but next buy is the 5D.I checked this week at Adorama,but they are cheaper here in Canada ,now at 1999. here today,still dropped from 2249.00.I guess a new model is coming to replace it.

I've seen the 5ds on sale in the past week. I would be happy with the mark II. My wife likes bird watching so a faster camera will work better for her but I want the full frame for landscape photos. I like the 60d better than the 7d holding them but haven't sed them so i'um not sure which is the better one. I'm thinking we really need 2 bodies and more lenses.

I've seen the 5ds on sale in the past week. I would be happy with the mark II. My wife likes bird watching so a faster camera will work better for her but I want the full frame for landscape photos. I like the 60d better than the 7d holding them but haven't sed them so i'um not sure which is the better one. I'm thinking we really need 2 bodies and more lenses.

Glass before bodies...;)

Glass before bodies...;)

I can't agree more. In the right hands an old dino tank like my D1x, or the D2h mentioned above can do every bit as good as a fancy new gizmo filled toy. Can't remember for sure but I think the D2h was only around 4MP and with a properly exposed shot you can print 20X30 all day long from it. I have gotten some amazing 20X30 prints from my D1x as well.:rock:

As for the D2h shot above with the flash. Try stepping back a bit to get some room between the lens and the subject and bounce thew flash off a white ceiling. This will fill in a bit more and lessen the harsh flash glare on ther side of the saw. Not sure what you are using for a flash unit on there so that is just a quick tip.

Glass before bodies...;)

I know that's what everyone says. I just want another body so both of us can shoot at the same time and not have to share.:msp_biggrin: the thing I was trying to do is get the bodies that we plan on keeping for a good while and build up the lens es as needed. She wants a 400mm or bigger telephoto and i'm wanting a ultra wide angle lens.

A cheap alternative to long glass is a good quality tele converter. I have a TC14B that I use on the 500 that takes it out to 750mm. If you add that to the 1.5 crop effect on my D200 you hit 900mm f/5.6. I have to shoot that sucker wide open, on the tripod, with ISO set around 400 just to get a steady shot, and my tripod is no slouch.:laugh:

A cheap alternative to long glass is a good quality tele converter. I have a TC14B that I use on the 500 that takes it out to 750mm. If you add that to the 1.5 crop effect on my D200 you hit 900mm f/5.6. I have to shoot that sucker wide open, on the tripod, with ISO set around 400 just to get a steady shot, and my tripod is no slouch.:laugh:

I've just started researching the tele converters (for long range chainsaw shots ya know).

Months ago, I ordered a Tamron 18-270 lens. When it arrived, turns out it was a refurb so I returned it. Bit the bullet a couple days ago and picked up a new one in store. So far I'm pleased with the ease of use but it does distort a bit at short distances.

Just remember the loss of light using them. If you are starting out with an f/5.6 lens and get a 1.5X converter you have an f/8 lens and a 2X converter will get you an f/11. Need lots of light for those numbers.

yup D2H is only 4mp ... flash is a Vivitar 285 ... bounced flash off ceiling, took care of washout. looks much nicer!

taking my time to find ... nice glass is everything. Lots of old Nikkor manual & AF lens to be found for not much $$$ compared to new micro-Nikkor lens.

it'd be the pits to have a mint $$$ invested in DX lens, only to do it all again after upgrading to D3X's full frame sensors.

BXP_4258.jpg

I can't agree more. In the right hands an old dino tank like my D1x, or the D2h mentioned above can do every bit as good as a fancy new gizmo filled toy. Can't remember for sure but I think the D2h was only around 4MP and with a properly exposed shot you can print 20X30 all day long from it. I have gotten some amazing 20X30 prints from my D1x as well.:rock:

As for the D2h shot above with the flash. Try stepping back a bit to get some room between the lens and the subject and bounce thew flash off a white ceiling. This will fill in a bit more and lessen the harsh flash glare on ther side of the saw. Not sure what you are using for a flash unit on there so that is just a quick tip.

Last edited:
Husqvarna 450 - it's not much but it's my only saw and has served me well. Hope to get a larger saw soon.

I have a Canon DSLR but this is just an iPhone pic.

5f9e9b0d.jpg

Latest posts

Back