Chainsaw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrestlermatt9

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a chainsaw to cut some trees on my property. I'm going to be cutting 40 to 50 tree's to enlarge my yard. I have experience cutting with an older Husqvarna saw. I'm looking to get a saw of my own and would like to spend less than $500. Looking for opinions and recommendations on what saw to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How big your trees you def need a husq varna lol seriously are you just gonna cut up 50 trees or do you plan to burn firewood in the future I wouldn't spend 500 dollars to cut up those trees then set it on the shelf for 5 years give some more info and someone can help you narrow your choices down there's lots of good saws to be had

I should have been more specific. I will be burning the wood in my wood stove, and I'll be cutting firewood yearly. Largest tree maybe 30" across.

I use 50 cc saws always I don't own anything larger than 56 cc any of those will handle the work you're needing done and you can get a nice 50 for the type of work you are speaking are you wanting brand new or used I just bought a 346xp used for 425 it is 46 cc and can pull an 18 inch bar at 325 with authority nicest saw I ever had I have a lowes special 455 it's the 56cc it's been very good as well it's a homeowner model and I've used it more than most people who buy more expensive saws it sorta a matter of personal prefrence

30 inches is a good size tree, and if cutting firewood is going to be regular thing, a 60+ saw ought to be where you start. I stay with Husky and Stihl cause of local dealers, and neighbors that use the same.

Yeah you can do it with less then 60, but you'll wish for more in a year, guaranteed.

The 550xp husky gets a lot of pub and for good reason, it's at the top of the 50cc class IMHO.

If you go used you could stretch a little further into the 60cc range of saws if you're willing to roll the dice on a used saw.

I only have experience with huskys and stihl but there are many other options as well: jonesered, echo, makita, etc.

There are dealers on here who you could talk to as well.

I stalked fleebay and CL for a month or so and had a gently used husqvarna 555 for wellll under your 500 budget. Had enough left over to snag another bar and chain to make it even more versatile for my use. But I'm partial to husqvarna, been what I've run most of the time I've been on a saw.

Either way this is a great place to get input and learn a lot before you make your choice.

60 is a great size 70 is better and so on the reason I run 50s is I don't like cutting massive trees for firewood I'm referring to 56cc as a 50 but I honestly don't like lugging the heavy saws around when I personally don't need them I think for falling trees the larger saw is in order but I fall largish trees w my 50 cc stuff cause I just don't need more saws than what I own already I'm not trying to criticize your opinion Montana it is tough to recommend a saw it's all in what exactly you need I personally just like the light weight

I was able to get a Husqvarna 555 from my local for $550.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nobody likes extra weight, put compared to 10 tons of tree a saw weighs nothing. Dropping a big tree can be intimidating, and having to finesse around it can add to what is already a stressful endeavor. The bigger saw gets it done with less drama.

30" across or 30" around? 30" across and under $500 the echo 590 for under $400 all day long.
30" around a Dolmar 421 for $325, or polan 5020 for $200.
Don't let the husky fan boys talk you in to spending more thenergy you need.

I'm absolutely a husky fanboy but I also referenced other brands as well. Just not to the same degree because I don't know as much about them. Either way it was inside the budget he referenced.

I certainly agree with no need for spending more than you have to that's a fine point for sure husqy makes the best saw made though lol that was a fun comment that's what I like there are plenty of options just to make a point I know I cut more than 50 trees with a poulan wild thing it was my first saw

What brand do you have at local dealers? If you have a echo dealer get the cs590 for 400 and spend the rest on safety gear.

I'm looking to buy a chainsaw to cut some trees on my property. I'm going to be cutting 40 to 50 tree's to enlarge my yard. I have experience cutting with an older Husqvarna saw. I'm looking to get a saw of my own and would like to spend less than $500. Looking for opinions and recommendations on what saw to purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Are you a wrestler and if so, where.

I cut orange and avocado orchards, initially as a firewood business, now just for ducks. Some of the bigger trees will get up to the size you are talking, especially the avocados. Long ago, I realized that there was a need for two saws for comfy and efficient cutting...so I got a Stihl 025 and an MS290. For most of the work, the 025 is what I use...yes, not 'pro' quality, but that saw has NEVER given me one problem! But for about 20% of the work, it's a little light, so the 290 comes into play.

Could I make do with one? Maybe...but if I did, I wouldn't be using the best saw for the job, cuz the 025 is much handier and lighter than the 290, and the 290...now a 390 with a recently installed big bore engine...is so much more powerful and has a longer bar. So with one saw, I'd be compromising, I figure, about half the time.

Something to think about if you're gonna be doing a big job, and continue on cutting firewood. For me, the 'farm and ranch' range has worked well. I use Stihl cuz I drink the Kool Aid...and believe the Kool Aid, although I'm certain that Husqvarna is probably it's equal...plus there's a local dealer in my town. That last is the more important of the two.

Get the biggest saw that you can find in that price range. Find out what your local dealer options are and their reputation for doing repairs. That is most important if you are not a master saw mechanic.

Not true at all. Most chainsaws never have a problem requiring a master mechanic. Use it right, quality clean gas, clean the filters, new Spark Plug and the saw will never see the dealer again after it's sold.

Get the biggest saw that you can find in that price range. Find out what your local dealer options are and their reputation for doing repairs. That is most important if you are not a master saw mechanic.

Back