Clutch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roofgunner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I realize most people do alot more work on saws than I do, but I stopped at Baily's in Woodland, CA. to get some stuff. (Maybe this will save some guys from ruining a flywheel.) One thing was a clutch removal tool for my 445. The fellow behind the counter, and like the other Baily's staff I've talked to in Laytonville are really nice smart people. He asked me if I had an air wrench. I said yes. He said don't use it with the clutch removal tool. Since the flywheel has the key cast into it an air wrench can ruin it which will ruin the flywheel. That makes sense but I never thought of it. His suggestion was to move the piston to almost TDC andput some starter rope in there for a cushion and just use a wrench to loosen the clutch. I tried it and it works fine.

Me either......I've removed dozens, maybe into the hundreds, without a problem. I also don't use anything stuffed into the cylinder. The compression of the saw usually provides enough resistance. On the rare ocasssion it doesn't, a short piece of rope will do the trick.

Howdy,
I wasn't there so I'm not sure what was said but, I think he might have been talking about using a piston stop while using a clutch tool / air wrench combination. I've used the air wrench forever without issue. All though if you don't know what you're doing, you can certainly cause damage with an air wrench.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
I wasn't there so I'm not sure what was said but, I think he might have been talking about using a piston stop while using a clutch tool / air wrench combination. I've used the air wrench forever without issue. All though if you don't know what you're doing, you can certainly cause damage with an air wrench.
Regards
Gregg

Especially when you are tightening the flywheel or clutch for installation. Removal is good but if your not sure what you are doing, you will snap a crank in a second.

Makers and clutch

Fish: that's a really beautifulpart of the country and Bill Samuels is a really nice fellow and makes good stuff down there.

As to the clutch removal tool, I agree with all of the above. I don't know how I did it or if it was wear and tare after 17 years of orchard use, but I have an old Husky 36 that got the "key" sheired off. This winter, I'll replace the flywheel and put in new seals just to get the old girl going again. It's a handy saw. But I have a Snap-On 3/8's inch air wrench that could do damage if used improperly on removing the clutch. So, from now on I will ere on the side of conservatism with regard to clutch removal.

i hold the fly wheel with my hand and us a 3/8 impact to take them off,, i have never had any problem

Back