cutting chaps and head gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on! i really need some help with this. Im lookin for a pair of chaps i can strap on the outside of my pants. and a helmet that fits nice and snug w/ muffs that stay on your ears and don't pull away from your face.
I need some help from the pros thanks.

Got my most recent ones at the local Stihl store. Helmet/screen/muffs for $60ish. Stihl chaps were another $70-80ish. I've used them before without any complaints :cheers:

I just ordered from a site sponser they have a video of a big Husky tearing up several pair of chaps, an interesting video I thought made my mind up! Other than that I know squat about chaps sorry. HTH
http://www.labonville.com/

The Peltor helmet system from Bailey's is extremely comfortable. I had a little trouble with the muffs, but have since gotten that straightened out.

The Labonville chaps are excellent. Very hot in the summer, but nice and cozy in the winter.

honestly i don't even use ear plugs much less the rest of the "safty equipment"

Man for instance and I am nobody there are some real storys here I am sure but-I cut my left kneecap a few years ago and am just now getting chaps because I am lazy for lack of a better description. I dont wear anything on my head either but a stocking cap. If you had seen my knee you would probably want chaps at least it was a mess, I pulled the jeans open after I got the saw untangled and my wife got woosey and had to sit down and all I did was touch my jeans for a split second and the saw was even idleing down no throttle at all I was tired and let the saw just hang. I cut some limbs in the yard, I should have been using my little saw but the chain was dull I had my 372 with a 20" bar and sharp chain it was ugly. I am not preaching but there is something too it.
be carefull is the main thing whatever you do :)

Man for instance and I am nobody there are some real storys here I am sure but-I cut my left kneecap a few years ago and am just now getting chaps because I am lazy for lack of a better description. I dont wear anything on my head either but a stocking cap. If you had seen my knee you would probably want chaps at least it was a mess, I pulled the jeans open after I got the saw untangled and my wife got woosey and had to sit down and all I did was touch my jeans for a split second and the saw was even idleing down no throttle at all I was tired and let the saw just hang. I cut some limbs in the yard, I should have been using my little saw but the chain was dull I had my 372 with a 20" bar and sharp chain it was ugly. I am not preaching but there is something too it.
be carefull is the main thing whatever you do :)

I know that I should I am just too much of a cheap a$$ to buy the equipment. I drove my dad to the hospital when I was 14 because he slipped when makeing "that last cut" and hit his left leg just above his kneecap as the saw was running out of gas.

I dont knock safty equipment at all. Just alot of the time I either dont have access to it or it is out of my budget at the time.

I dont knock safty equipment at all. Just alot of the time I either dont have access to it or it is out of my budget at the time.

No problem at all didnt really take it that way! If I could help someone avoid the recovery time of an injury by my example I have been a good neighbor.

Husky chaps at the dealer where $60. I got the helmet/screen/ muff thing at my contractor supply house for $27. Toasty warm stuff - hopefully I get all the cutting done when it's below freezing out.
I never used to wear any PPE's either, but now that I have a 2171 I could cut my legs off and still make two more cuts before my torso hits the ground.:dizzy:
Anybody have any good warm weather chaps?

Another vote for the Labonville chaps, I have the green 6-ply wraps.

I had a tree fall and hit me on the head when I was a kid, spent a few weeks in the hospital with a skull fracture. If they make PPE, I wear it. I can't see having 8 saws and a new pickup and won't buy 50 dollar chaps. I've seen enough people laid open by saws, they're ugly wounds that never heal right. Don't care if it's hot or I look like a dork with a helmet and facemask. Something's gonna get me someday, but I try to keep it from being the saw, today.

I have the Bailey's ones with the Cordura fronts (the orange ones). I wanted the extra durability when trudging through the brush. I am happy with them.

Don

Thanks

thanks i have definately been convinced i am going to be getting all the PPE. I have found a pair of chaps and a helmet i like from Amick"s Superstore. The husky pro chaps and the husky pro arborist helmet.

another vote for labonville chaps... I went with competition model which has more layers. a bit more bulky but worth it.

peltor makes the most comfortable helmet/ear protection system
tried on stihl's helmet and didn't like em... so try it before you buy it

Last cut?

I know that I should I am just too much of a cheap a$$ to buy the equipment. I drove my dad to the hospital when I was 14 because he slipped when makeing "that last cut" and hit his left leg just above his kneecap as the saw was running out of gas.

Of course it was the last cut. You kidding me? :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back