cutting chaps and head gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started using helmet and chaps a couple of years ago-thanks to a gift from my daughter. Both are Stihl, although the brand I don't believe is as important as just using something, and both are comfortable to wear. Have either saved me from serious injury yet, No, but that is not the issue, the issue is that one fateful time when circumstances or carelessness could literally ruin ones life. I think approximately $100 for both is pretty inexpensive compared to the possible consequences.

Hugenpoet

I do not have any experience with chaps but I do have the helmet with shield and muffs. I do like the Stihl model better than the peltor. I have a melon head and the peltor just seems smallish. I have noticed that the ringing sound in my ears from the saw has gone away. Both are good models but try before you buy.

All it takes is 1 good brushy branch to pop you in the face on a cold day and you will appreciate the face shield. :cry:

Huck

Look over the pictures in the " Arborcultural injuries " forum on this site, graphic photos of what cutting devices do to skin/bone.

I've been using both the Stihl chaps and helmet for 7-8 years. I have a dealer just down the road, and the price was right without the shipping worries. Remember that the more comfortable a piece of gear is, the more inclined your are to wear it.

Do you guys wash your ballistic chaps?

By all means here the gear brother spent $400 at hospital because he was to cheap to but chaps and a helmet Baily's is pretty good no problems.

Chaps and Head gear

I glad I had found this thread. The Labonvill Inc. has some of the best prices on Chaps and Hardhats with Muffs I have seen. Never would have known Will be working with them. Already told them where i found about them( It was from this Arborist site)

I agree with peltor, I got the helmet with the muffs with the radio built in. After radio ones without the helmet for lawnmowing, I got so addicted I had to get them for wood too. I just use a labonville chaps, however the kevlar is 3/4" apart, I dont know about the other chaps, but if I ever hit my leg, I'm still getting a good cut, just not getting it cut off.

With the chaps I would try to match the protection level to the saw. Got the cheaper ones but the got a 2171 and upgraded the chaps. Cheap when you look at the price of a slip of the saw. My .02

I have 2 Stihl helmets both are made by Peltor, my son wears one and I wear the other. I like them real well, but I can't find a pair of chaps long enought to fit me. Well I should say at least to fit like I think they should. My jeans are 44" down the outside my leg and all the chaps that I find are 40" long. Am I measuring wrong or am I just out of luck? I am all for safety equipment but at my size I tend to not be able to find stuff to fit. :dizzy: One last thought how does everyone store your PPE? Backpack,toolbox or just let it ride in the truck? Thanks..:cheers:

With the chaps I would try to match the protection level to the saw. Got the cheaper ones but the got a 2171 and upgraded the chaps. Cheap when you look at the price of a slip of the saw. My .02

Yeah baby! My new 2171 made me buy ppe's also! That thing melts through 18" ash awful quick.
My local lumber guy just dumped 50 logs off in my backyard.:chainsaw: :givebeer:

hedge, i store my PPE in a plastic tote that i picked up at wal-mart, its great because then can through it into the bed of my truck and if i ride to work with someone else then i just grab the tote and throw it into there truck. i also keep my wedges file wrench and that type of stuff in that box, then when i get to work its all in one place

Hedge,
I guess the question is are they meant to be shorter because you should have the boots to go with the chaps. Seems like they are forcing you to buy the boots. Luckily I am a landscaper and can take the chaps only when needed, mostly only when I need to replenish the firewood pile.

I have 2 Stihl helmets both are made by Peltor, my son wears one and I wear the other. I like them real well, but I can't find a pair of chaps long enought to fit me. Well I should say at least to fit like I think they should. My jeans are 44" down the outside my leg and all the chaps that I find are 40" long. Am I measuring wrong or am I just out of luck? I am all for safety equipment but at my size I tend to not be able to find stuff to fit. :dizzy: One last thought how does everyone store your PPE? Backpack,toolbox or just let it ride in the truck? Thanks..:cheers:

Check with Labonville, their chaps come in different lengths, they give instructions on the website how to measure. Should be down the front of your leg from belt to boot. I wear a 34" inseam in normal pants, had to get the "Long" chaps from Labonville, they fit me perfectly.

They're not trying to "force" you to buy boots, you should get good boots anyway.

Latest posts

Back