Do I need a warranty on a 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pole-line Paul

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here's the deal... I live in Canada and have been wanting to upgrade my current saw which is a Stihl 017. I only cut 2 cords a year at the moment but want to buy a saw which will last me a lifetime. Due to past back and wrist injuries, I need a saw that is both light and low-vib. Through reading countless threads on this forum, I have concluded that the 346 XP is the saw that would probably suit me best. I have visited both my local Stihl and Husqvarna dealers to handle both brands in the store and were not impressed by either of the dealers. The Stihl dealer didn't know the difference between any of his saws except for what he could read out of a catalogue. He told me that the 362 and 361 are identical because the cc's are the same. OK then.

Off to the Husky dealer I went, thinking I couldn't do much worse. Boy, was I wrong. This guy told me that all the Husky's had outboard clutches and that the 455 would be much better for cutting firewood because it had a 3/8 chain instead of the slower .325 on the 346XP. And, it had more cc. He also told me not to buy a Stihl 362 saw because it was only a semi-pro model. The last thing he told me before I walked out the door was that there was no difference in performance between the etech and non-etech 346XP. As a matter of fact it was downright impossible and he would know because he sells 300 saws a year and personally knows some lumberjacks!

The only thing that trip confirmed to me was that I really like the feel of the 346XP and that is defenitely the saw I want but certainly not from that dealer.

Are you starting to see my dilemma. With plenty of phone calls I managed to find a 346XP non-etech for $789 Canadian. I thought the price was nuts.

I think I found one in the US which would be a 4 hour drive for me to pick up for $499 US with an 18" bar. I just wouldn't have a warranty unless I drive back to the US. Does anyone think that I would actually need any warranty work in the first year except for really bad luck? I ask because I don't work on my own saws. $300 dollars is a huge amount of money to save so I'm thinking of taking the drive down.

Do you recommend this?

My wife is quite unhappy that I want a new saw when there are so many other important things that we need for the house. She's right but I WANT a new saw and I want a 346XP non-etech and they are disappearing quickly.

So, once again, any reason why I shouldn't go to the US to buy a saw.

Thanks in advance guys. I'm starting to understand CAD!!!

Personally I don't think you'll need the warranty. The key is keeping good clean fuel in the saw and not letting the saw sit with fuel in it for any lenght of time, say two weeks. If your an occaisional user, just mix a gallon at a time. We cut commercially selling firewood, we have actually used our 346xp about 45 sawing days, that is hard 8-9 hour days of sawing, getting used by a couple of different people as nothing but a tool. I don't worry about the mechanicals of the saw holding up at all, I've got bigger concerns with the case/controls in our useage enviroment. If it were me I'd go with the USA saw price. I believe they come with a two year warranty which is only as good as the dealer. The guys here on AS can get you advice/help on about anything that comes up. If it fried, you could always drive back to the dealer.

Unfortunately that delima is a common one in some parts of the US as well. I had a similar experience when buying mine. I actually had to put the chain on the saw in the workshop because the tech did not now how. Question is do u want those kind of people working on your saw under warranty? I know I don't, I would rather work on it myself. You could buy a lot of parts for the $300 if u had to, chances are you won't need to for the term of the warranty period anyway. The 346 will outcut a 455 in a heartbeat and do it with reduced wear on you as well. This is a great saw for your needs. I assume that you have seen Blsnellings thread on the cat/non-cat 346? The evidence is there to be reviewed. If you had a good dealer in your area it might be worth the extra money to buy there. It is apparent that either you already know more than the dealer or he just doesn't give a :censored: about you. Sorry for the ran't, these problems really :censored: me off and they happen more frequently than they should.

The bozo working at the saw dealer may not know how to put a chain on, but I'll bet he knows how to dial a phone and ask Husky for a new warranty saw. I would get one in the states, and make sure it is running properly before driving home. If it does go bad, it will right away and you can drive back for a new saw. Three hundred bucks is worth the hassle.

The better deals never happen at my dealers either. I've had a 372XPW and a 365 Special shipped to my door because I bought them both way better than right. Warranty did cross my mind. Havent needed it yet, but you never know. Mine both came from different, established, authorized, Husqvarna dealers. The worst that could happen if something catastrophic should occur is I'd be out some shipping. Nothing preventing me from shipping them back. Now any authorized Husqvarna dealer is supposed to honor a warranty but I dont believe that either. I did buy a 346XP recently from a local dealer, paid full retail, maybe he would help me out if needed but I'm not holding my breath. So take a drive and save some money, use the savings to buy some chaps. REJ2

Sounds like you have limited options on where you can get your warranty work done. It seems your warranty is only as good as the Bozo behind the counter. You could get a lot of work done on the saw for what you save initially so I think I'd go with saving the big bucks and taking my chances.

Personally I don't think you'll need the warranty.

+1 unless you are not very mechanically inclined. I bought mine BNIB on Ebay for $400 shipped. Check there to see if you can save some cash since you're not gonna have a warranty anyhow. Just be smart about who you deal with, plenty of horror stories on here about shady Ebay sellers.

I have never needed a warranty on a new saw that I purchased.

IMO you are not likely to need warranty work on the 346XP.

The 026 is a classic saw, and I think the 346XP will, in time, also be considered a classic as well. There is just nothing in it's class like it.

And you are hearing this from a Dolmar guy.

BTW, the guy that says the 455 is a better saw than the 346XP does not know what he is talking about.

Neither does the Stihl dealer, 362 same as a 361. yeah.. right.

Get the 346XP, you will not be sorry.:cheers:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. I too believe in supporting your local dealer if he doesn't have his head stuck up his $%#!! But the truth is, I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing back the saw to the local dealer if I had problems so I'm pretty sure I'll be driving to the States by the end of next week.

I had the same idea, buy some chaps with the money saved. Does anybody use the Husky chaps? If so, how do you like them?

After you mod the muffler and put a non limited coil on her you wont be able to get warranty work done on it anyways. Trust me, muffler mod her and put a non limited coil on it and you will have one hot rod saw.

I got my 346 new and I had some carb problems with it and I could have thrown a new muffler on it and sent it to the dealer, but I would rather do my own work on my saws. I know dealers are certifyed FWIW, but I personally trust my work.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies. I too believe in supporting your local dealer if he doesn't have his head stuck up his $%#!! But the truth is, I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing back the saw to the local dealer if I had problems so I'm pretty sure I'll be driving to the States by the end of next week.

I had the same idea, buy some chaps with the money saved. Does anybody use the Husky chaps? If so, how do you like them?

Best of luck on the 346!!!

The Husky Chaps are decent. No complaints on mine other than they are due for a change of stench.
I'd buy another set when these wear out, if it wasn't for wanting to try a pair of Labonvilles.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I thought about my warranty too before I sent my brand new NE346XP that never had been in wood to get Snellerized.I have had no problems with mine at all and it runs perfect:clap:

My wife is quite unhappy that I want a new saw when there are so many other important things that we need for the house...

+1 on the 346

Other than that your wife might find some nice things for the house cheaper in the US?! So a family trip were everybody gets to go shopping is always a good idea.

:laugh:

Greetings,

Back