Dolmar PS-420 bar and chain recommendations (Noob)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess, This is a 1 chain saw, ran it until it wouldn't cut, forced it and threw a chain and cracked the clutch cover and traded it in.
I'm happy, only wish it was a few PSI higher in compression.
Your saw is probably not even broke in yet. Sounds like you'll be happy with your purchase:clap:

You will understand better if you compare it to a 550xp.

Look here; http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...xp-ready-to-cut-pictures.269815/#post-5133169

I'm with the Troll when it comes to Dolmars small line up of saws. Same weight as a 50cc saw with power numbers of the average 40cc saws. This is coming from a guy who's a big fan of Dolmars big saws.

While you were trolling Ebay, you should've checked out the Red Max GZ 4500. Same power less weight and already equipped with .325.

I looked at the pics of that saw again and I'm wishing you the best of luck here but along with the broken clutch cover, I'm seeing a lot of missing paint in critical areas. Mainly around the muffler and the front of crankcase. To me that means that saw was running smoking hot enough to burn off the paint around the muffler, and was twisted hard enough to crack the paint on the case while the user was yanking it out of a pinch and breaking the clutch cover. I've been running lots of saws for lots of years, and have thrown a few chains on bigger saws than that. The only time I remember blowing out a clutch cover from a chain throw was on an old mag covered Mac. The only time I've ever smoked a chain was when I sawed into a pipe that was inside a stump. The fact that the chain is smoked is another sign that confirms my suspicions. I would check that saw over real close before I would go buying lots of parts. Deffinately do a leakdown test on it.

Another suspicion I have, is the seller appears to be a Pawn Shop. Pawn shops around these parts are filled with clapped out tools, and shoplifted new tools. The tree guys and roofers are notorious for dumping tools at the end of the season. I have my eye on that guys new in box Dewalt radio and 20 volt battery. I just called my x boss to ask him what he's willing to pay me for a spare battery. I told you I'm a cheapskate and the ultimate bargain shopper.

That being said, I would come up with some story and send that guy back the Dolmar and pick up one of those NEW Red Max 4500's. My guess is after you equip this saw with new bar and chain, and if you want, a clutch cover, you'll have a pretty well used up saw for the price of new. Not hatin, just sayin!!! It may be fine also but it may be a money pit and "not as described" ask a lot of ebay sellers on tis site how easy it is t return an Ebay saw.

I'm with the Troll when it comes to Dolmars small line up of saws. Same weight as a 50cc saw with power numbers of the average 40cc saws. This is coming from a guy who's a big fan of Dolmars big saws.

While you were trolling Ebay, you should've checked out the Red Max GZ 4500. Same power less weight and already equipped with .325.

I looked at the pics of that saw again and I'm wishing you the best of luck here but along with the broken clutch cover, I'm seeing a lot of missing paint in critical areas. Mainly around the muffler and the front of crankcase. To me that means that saw was running smoking hot enough to burn off the paint around the muffler, and was twisted hard enough to crack the paint on the case while the user was yanking it out of a pinch and breaking the clutch cover. I've been running lots of saws for lots of years, and have thrown a few chains on bigger saws than that. The only time I remember blowing out a clutch cover from a chain throw was on an old mag covered Mac. The only time I've ever smoked a chain was when I sawed into a pipe that was inside a stump. The fact that the chain is smoked is another sign that confirms my suspicions. I would check that saw over real close before I would go buying lots of parts. Deffinately do a leakdown test on it.

Another suspicion I have, is the seller appears to be a Pawn Shop. Pawn shops around these parts are filled with clapped out tools, and shoplifted new tools. The tree guys and roofers are notorious for dumping tools at the end of the season. I have my eye on that guys new in box Dewalt radio and 20 volt battery. I just called my x boss to ask him what he's willing to pay me for a spare battery. I told you I'm a cheapskate and the ultimate bargain shopper.

That being said, I would come up with some story and send that guy back the Dolmar and pick up one of those NEW Red Max 4500's. My guess is after you equip this saw with new bar and chain, and if you want, a clutch cover, you'll have a pretty well used up saw for the price of new. Not hatin, just sayin!!! It may be fine also but it may be a money pit and "not as described" ask a lot of ebay sellers on tis site how easy it is t return an Ebay saw.
That is the same problem with every used saw. Finding the right line between price and quality is always difficult. Although for me the only thing that saw needs is a new chain.

Although I must admit that the specs of the red max are kind of disappointing. 44cc and 2.7hp sure are a kind of sad. My Solo 644 made out of 44cc/3.5hp or my Hitachi/Tanaka CSxxEK/3801 only has 38cc but 2.4hp! So for me the discussion which saw is the best in this class is always funny.

Stick with option 1. Don't buy a bar yet unless the one on it is trashed. My 420 is still wearing the stock Dolmar/Oregon bar after a lot of use.

Learn to tune and ditch the cat asap. World of difference.

Skip the 5105. The 420 is reallly that good, my 5100 is basically a backup saw between my 420 and 7300. Once the wood gets too big for the 420, you'll be reaching for the big saw. Save the $ for a 79cc P/C down the road.

Again, I haven't seen pics, but I'll bet the busted clutch cover is from the one really cheesy design on those saws, chain catcher molded into the cover.

Troll, nice of you to compliment the little Dolmar by comparing it to the 550.

Troll, that 550xp does have some nice specs but not $200 worth in my opinion. Even the used one on this site is $465. It's $100 over the 5105 too but 1 pound lighter, that's an expensive pound. Now compared to the 261 that 550 makes sense, a pound lighter, a slight loss of power and a little cheaper.

The weight thing is obviously questionable since the 420 and 250 spec the same but I swear this one is a pound or two lighter and there is no way my 290 was only 2 pounds heavier. Someone should compile a real world list lol.

Vibes, the redmax never hit my radar as I was looking for pro grade (or near) and there was very little mention of redmax or the Johnny's. That saw though is either 2.5 or 2.7hp, conflicting data even on Redmax's site and a pound lighter, is it a mag case as built as well? It's a few dollars shy of the new 421, those 259 ebay ones don't ship to AK.

Make sure to at least take before pics so we can see the difference. I love before and after pictures. I think you did good. I never even thought of Dolmar until joining this site. Its sad how long I was missing on on such a great lineup of saws. Now I have one new one and am working on a redtop 7900 thats in need of some TLC.

Troll, that 550xp does have some nice specs but not $200 worth in my opinion. Even the used one on this site is $465. It's $100 over the 5105 too but 1 pound lighter, that's an expensive pound. Now compared to the 261 that 550 makes sense, a pound lighter, a slight loss of power and a little cheaper.

That is my deal with Dolmar. I sell them and yes i am biased on them i will admit that but for a lot of people putting up with a 421 that is .5 lbs heavier and an inch wider than a 241 is a compromise me and many other people are willing to make. We get the same quality level for $250 cheaper. Same can be said for the about everything Dolmar makes. Yep it is slightly heavier. Yep in most cases its slightly bigger(taller or wider) but make the comparison and for most people that extra weight or size dont really mean anything.
421-$320
241-$550

5105-$450
261- $600

6100- $525
362-$720
562/2260 $700

thats an average savings of $187 by getting a dolmar over the comparable models from other brands and quality level is the same between them IMO.
im not a fan of the 261 or 362 but i do like running the 2260. do i like running it enough to pay an extra $200? No
You can of course get everyone of these saws cheaper than i have them listed but i used prices that the average guy could just walk in a shop and buy one for.
7900/7910 is the one exception to the heavier/bigger debate. it is on par in every aspect except you can still save $200 over a comparable model.

correct me where im wrong on any of this because im sure i missed something

The weight thing is obviously questionable since the 420 and 250 spec the same but I swear this one is a pound or two lighter and there is no way my 290 was only 2 pounds heavier. Someone should compile a real world list lol.

Vibes, the redmax never hit my radar as I was looking for pro grade (or near) and there was very little mention of redmax or the Johnny's. That saw though is either 2.5 or 2.7hp, conflicting data even on Redmax's site and a pound lighter, is it a mag case as built as well? It's a few dollars shy of the new 421, those 259 ebay ones don't ship to AK.
The RedMax GZ4000/4500 have very choked up mufflers stock, although there is no cat. Once opened up they really wake up. Not much in that displacement class that can keep up with one.

I like the specs of the 6100 but the Home depot 6400's seem like a SCREAMING deal even if they need work. I'll have to decide between the 2 based on what falls in my lap or appears on the trading post first...

That is the same problem with every used saw. Finding the right line between price and quality is always difficult. Although for me the only thing that saw needs is a new chain.

Although I must admit that the specs of the red max are kind of disappointing. 44cc and 2.7hp sure are a kind of sad. My Solo 644 made out of 44cc/3.5hp or my Hitachi/Tanaka CSxxEK/3801 only has 38cc but 2.4hp! So for me the discussion which saw is the best in this class is always funny.

Never assume that Solo specs are anywhere close to the truth - and the Solo 644 and 650 power specs are more "optimistic" than most.....;)

That is my deal with Dolmar. I sell them and yes i am biased on them i will admit that but for a lot of people putting up with a 421 that is .5 lbs heavier and an inch wider than a 241 is a compromise me and many other people are willing to make. We get the same quality level for $250 cheaper. Same can be said for the about everything Dolmar makes. Yep it is slightly heavier. Yep in most cases its slightly bigger(taller or wider) but make the comparison and for most people that extra weight or size dont really mean anything.
421-$320
241-$550

5105-$450
261- $600

6100- $525
362-$720
562/2260 $700

thats an average savings of $187 by getting a dolmar over the comparable models from other brands and quality level is the same between them IMO.
im not a fan of the 261 or 362 but i do like running the 2260. do i like running it enough to pay an extra $200? No
You can of course get everyone of these saws cheaper than i have them listed but i used prices that the average guy could just walk in a shop and buy one for.
7900/7910 is the one exception to the heavier/bigger debate. it is on par in every aspect except you can still save $200 over a comparable model.

correct me where im wrong on any of this because im sure i missed something

Very good post - but obviously a lot of people (myself included) are willing to pay the extra money to get the neater saws (usually Husky/Jonsered).

I've looked but cannot find a video that compares the current PS421 Dolmar for $325 to the MS241 Stihl for $550. Their specs seem quite close, I wonder how their cut times compare.

Never assume that Solo specs are anywhere close to the truth - and the Solo 644 and 650 power specs are more "optimistic" than most.....;)
Since you have never had a saw from them, I allow myself the comment that my Solo 644 new version(44cc/3.5hp) was hardly slower than my Makita 5001 = Dolmar 5000(50cc/3.9hp). Of course it is only subjective because I never did a one on one comparision cutting. But I have cut a lot with both for a few years so in my experience you have no clue what you are talking about. And if we see how the Solo 667 has been embraced by those who have used it here and on other forums, I believe that it is time to readjust your viewpoint.

Well she starts and runs good, oils good (probably too good), and sounds good. Sadly I have nothing to cut, the chain is trash, and it's near 0 outside so I can't test it further. It did seem to get pretty hot for such a short run, 200 at the muffler and was smoking at the muffler when I was done.

But this isn't a 16" bar, 14 1/2 to the end of the bar and 14 7/8 to the tip of the chain however you are supposed to measure so the 9 sprocket pro 91 bar will be even shorter. Doing a quick look on the 18" it adds 6 drive links, which is 4 3/8 ish, so it would add a little over 2 inches per side minus a little for the rounder nose profile making it close to a 17?

Would the .325/16 actually be closer to a true 16" bar? I kinda want a 16" bar and regular nose profile since I will have to do some plunge cuts in ice.

Yeah but that is still the old version 420 with 2.7hp and not the new refind version with 3 hp. I am still waiting for a shootout with the new version.

Back