Dolmar PS-420 bar and chain recommendations (Noob)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but that is still the old version 420 with 2.7hp and not the new refind version with 3 hp. I am still waiting for a shootout with the new version.

It's hopeless - take a look at the engine design on the Zenoah, especially the intake area and the transfers. The Doormat has no chance!

It's hopeless - take a look at the engine design on the Zenoah, especially the intake area and the transfers. The Doormat has no chance!
I never assumed it would be faster or better or lighter, etc. It would just be interesting to see a comparison video. Similar like others that have shown that the dolmar saws have been similar to the major players in cutting speed.

So the little red thing on the H needle isn't a limiter? Looks like one but it doesn't move when I more the needle so I guess I have a fully adjustable carb now that I removed that little plus that was in the way. Too bad I don't know how to tune yet:rare2:. Any other Alaskan members out there?

Cat mufflers get H O T. Ditch the kitty ASAP and that will solve that problem.

56dl is the standard "16" bar. Stihl actually uses 55. Cut length is almost never advertised length.

I had a guy remove my limiter at a GTG, shoulda paid attention. Someone will help ya though.

Edit: oiler is adjustable. You can crank it down if you want.

I like the specs of the 6100 but the Home depot 6400's seem like a SCREAMING deal even if they need work. I'll have to decide between the 2 based on what falls in my lap or appears on the trading post first...
What does Home Depot sell those 6400's for these days?

You gotta love the prices on the new Dolmars. That's why I bought my 7900. I can't remember what I paid for mine but it wasn't a whole lot more than I sold a 3 year od Husky 576 at that time. I've had that saw a lot longer than 3 years so you know which saw got the thumbs up.

That is my deal with Dolmar. I sell them and yes i am biased on them.......correct me where im wrong on any of this because im sure i missed something
421-$320
241-$550

5105-$450
261- $600

6100- $525
362-$720
562/2260 $700

thats an average savings of $187 by getting a dolmar over the comparable models
You should be comparing 6100 to 555 as they both do not have a filled crank. 362?

I've read this shoot-out so many times that it is almost memorized. So where is the video comparing cut times of the PS421 and the MS241?
LOL - I dunno, I guess no one cares about 2nd and 3rd place.

Well Randy clearly remarked in that thread that, unmoddified, he liked the 420 better than the 241. That alone is for me quite a statement!

probably got deleted after they realized a $300 fat/heavy saw just beat their beloved stihl :D
But to be quite honest, I believe that to be the reel reason why we had the server breakdown! The Stihl fans had to take it into their hands and do something about it....

:dumb:

Anyone notice how few airflow holes there are in the carb/air cleaner housing in relation to the intake size? I'd be curious to run it with the cover off to see if it leans out indication a restriction in airflow.

I looked at the GZ4500 before i bought my 421, i wasn't crazy about the build quality and the fact its no longer made.

Just so that you know, you bought the "old" version 420 with 2.7hp. The new version has 3hp. Further they changed the airfilter and a few minor other things on the new version, so be careful what you order!

Personaly I prefer Stihl chain. You could even get PS3 chain for it.

I also have the "old" version and am VERY happy with it.

There are less changes 420/421, 350/351 on the USA models than the European models. It is pretty easy to figure out but do keep in mind. I thought the conversion was to 2.9 hp a lot of saws score 2.2 in metric.

I put a few pictures of the some bars, this is the 351 but I doubt one can tell. The one on it is a GB but from the prior distributor. I also have used that 18" 62 drive link 7 tooth nose one which balances about like the 16" 56 drive link 9 tooth nose. Note how many holes in the nose of that Oregon pro91 bar. One less on the GB, just a tiny hole on the other two and Stihl bars have none.

Attachments

• 4.91.class.041.bars.jpg
    4.91.class.041.bars.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 4.91.class.041.bar.tips.JPG
    4.91.class.041.bar.tips.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 26
There are less changes 420/421, 350/351 on the USA models than the European models. It is pretty easy to figure out but do keep in mind. I thought the conversion was to 2.9 hp a lot of saws score 2.2 in metric.

2.20 kw isn't a full 3.0 hp - so it really is about how the rounding off is done, at a couple of stages - i.e. what is 2.2 rounded off from, what is used for further calculation, and how the final rounding off is done. Calculating on already rounded off numbers is a risky "sport".....:lol:

I put a few pictures of the some bars, this is the 351 but I doubt one can tell. The one on it is a GB but from the prior distributor. I also have used that 18" 62 drive link 7 tooth nose one which balances about like the 16" 56 drive link 9 tooth nose. Note how many holes in the nose of that Oregon pro91 bar. One less on the GB, just a tiny hole on the other two and Stihl bars have none.

None of those bars are even close to the "called" length - as it usually is with 3/8" picco/lo-pro bars.
Exceptions are out there though, at least from Cannon, and from Stihl and Logosol in 3003 mount for Logosol setups.

I'm pretty sure the HP ratings are coming from chevy guys with a 1975 450hp carbureted 350 and the bars are measured by their wife's... Don't you round up to the nearest 10th at every mathematical step?

I'm looking at soming like this, 160GLGK041, it's 66 dl also but it looks like most are, not sure what it will tape at but hopefully at least 15.5 and it will have a real nose profile at least.

I'm looking at soming like this, 160GLGK041, it's 66 dl also but it looks like most are, not sure what it will tape at but hopefully at least 15.5 and it will have a real nose profile at least.

160GLGK041 is 0.325 bar with a 12 tooth nose not designed for NK but still 0.050 thick drive link slot. It is the picco/91 class/3/8 lo pro that are deceptively marked. The Dolmar 420 has a stroke of 30.6mm as I recall so bars on that most likely will have a bit more usable length than something with a longer stroke. There are most likely other design considerations in sprocket center to bucking spike.

None of those bars are even close to the "called" length - as it usually is with 3/8" picco/lo-pro bars.
Exceptions are out there though, at least from Cannon, and from Stihl and Logosol in 3003 mount for Logosol setups.
We have been through this before 15" 64dl 0.325 is actually a longer loop than 16" 56dl 3/8 (0.367 or 1640 drive links per 100 feet)

Any comment on all of those holes, at the sprocket, the extra square and round one on that pro91 bar. Within the last couple of weeks on that orange one and 91vx/h35 the little holes in the drive links were clogging and making it hard to go around. I believe it was white poplar though the bark looks like ash.

Back