Dolmar PS-420 bar and chain recommendations (Noob)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been measuring to the saw body, take another inch off if we are talking actual usable bar length. 14 1/4" from the flat of the bucking spike, talk about some optimistic measurements, at least call it 15"...

There are less changes 420/421, 350/351 on the USA models than the European models. It is pretty easy to figure out but do keep in mind. I thought the conversion was to 2.9 hp a lot of saws score 2.2 in metric.
Do you know or believe that the us and european models are not the same? I donot know but I can hardly believe that a company as small as dolmar has the muscle to push two different production lines for different continents.

Further I only took the h.p. numbers from the homepage.

And last there is a test done in a german magazin, where they used the engine testing equipment from Stihl and proved the numbers. Here is the link. Might be interesting for number crunchers like Sawtroll! :p:D Weil ich weiss das Du auch deutsch lesen kannst!;)
For those with difficulty in german (Messwert = measured value)

http://www.shindaiwa.de/presse/motorsaegentest.pdf

And last, quite a interesting comment from above article, is that the Dolmar, although "old fashioned classic" engine design, needed less fuel than the modern engine design Husqvarna 445! That would go in hand with what Dolmar "officials" commented in another magazin that the engine "had a redesign" so that it reaches much better emision results, so that for them the cat is the simple answer.

We have been through this before ......

Oh yes, some of you surely have, and some have found out themselves - but you have to repeat yourself some times, to have any hope at all that the message is getting trough to a reasonable amount of members. Not everyone reads everything that is posted.....;)

Do you know or believe that the us and european models are not the same? I donot know but I can hardly believe that a company as small as dolmar has the muscle to push two different production lines for different continents.

Further I only took the h.p. numbers from the homepage.

And last there is a test done in a german magazin, where they used the engine testing equipment from Stihl and proved the numbers. Here is the link. Might be interesting for number crunchers like Sawtroll! :p:D Weil ich weiss das Du auch deutsch lesen kannst!;)

http://www.shindaiwa.de/presse/motorsaegentest.pdf

And last, quite a interesting comment from above article, is that the Dolmar, although "old fashioned classic" engine design, needed less fuel than the Husqvarna 445! That would go in hand with what Dolmar "officials" commented in another magazin that the engine "had a redesign" so that it reaches much better emision results, so that for them the cat is the simple answer.

Yes, I can read German, and often do - but I don't approve of the close relations between KWF, the magazines and
Dolmar in particular, but to a degree also Stihl - so I don't value the results very high. Using equipment provided by one or more saw manufacturers for so called independent testing is not good practice - to say the least.

In the linked up test, they tested the 420C (=421) vs. mostly plastic cased "homeowner" class saws - hardly what they should have tested it against.

It's the best resource we have sofar until chadihman finally builds a measuring setup for small saws...

But even then, having Stihl not in first place for quite a few numbers, is at least for me an indication that not everthing is forged as you quite often imply. Further the numbers and comments on testing are also quite different. But then everyone has to make his own conclusions when reading a source of information.

..... Do you know or believe that the us and european models are not the same? I donot know but I can hardly believe that a company as small as dolmar has the muscle to push two different production lines for different continents.

Any differenses usually are about mufflers and carb adjustment limitations/rpm limiters - and some times exterior things like dawgs and even color. Nothing that takes much resourses to do.

It was more extensive with the PS5000 vs. the 5100S though - even the crank was different, and the handlebar was metal on the 5100S.

It's the best resource we have sofar until chadihman finally builds a measuring setup for small saws...

But even then, having Stihl not in first place for quite a few numbers, is at least for me an indication that not everthing is forged as you quite often imply. Further the numbers and comments on testing are also quite different. But then everyone has to make his own conclusions when reading a source of information.

Tests for woods or consumer magazines can become really funny - but for the most part they are a tragedy, as the testers often value features that reasonably experiensed users don't value at all highly.
I saw the Husky 445 was involved in that test, which reminded me of a test in a Swedish woods magazine a few years ago, where that model (and the 2245) were "compared" to the PS4600S and a collection of other saws. The winners then where the 445/2245, and the 4600S was rated behind several more saws around 45cc. That "test" was of course totally irrelevant, and totally missed the mark - and so are most other such "tests"!

I have viewed the parts sheets and some has been discussed on here. I thought the coil was an issue but it appears the same by the parts sheet, might investigate further.

I put a screen capture of the manual which I downloaded from our Dolmar site and is similar to what was delivered with the saw. States 2.9

Attachments

• dolmar.351.421.manual.clip.jpg
    dolmar.351.421.manual.clip.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 17
Tests tests tests. I gave up on magazine tests when Road and Track or some such magazine rated the Renault Alliance as compact car of the year in like 1979. I was driving a 78 Corolla and my dad had a 79 Subaru. You see what I think of magazine tests.

tests are great if your the one doing them and collecting the paycheck. generally speaking most tests are done by people that already have a winner/loser picked out or they give credit to product A for having a feature that product B doesnt have. even if that feature just adds to the cost and does nothing useful. Remember consumer reports testing Suzuki Samari and saying how awful and dangerous they were? they killed the sales numbers of it so much that Suzuki dropped it a year or 2 later only to discover through a lawsuit that consumer reports purposely tried to make the vehicle appear unsafe and dangerous.

As long as all data is published(as in above test), the tests then have a certain validity. As soon as "impressions, etc." are quoted the objective side gets lost quite quick!

Back a the original discussion here. What bar and chain did you settle on? I was looking through an old Baileys add and they have their brand of Woodsmans Pro bar and chain combo's for 041 mount with the 30LP chain. They are advertised as having a rounder nose more so than the usual Oregon smaller tipped bars for the small saws. Seems like pretty good package.

I like 30LP on my smaller saws. I holds an edge well. It is pretty bouncy at the beginning of the cut but seems to settle down as the chips start flying. I'm wondering if a bar with more nose to it will reduce that jumping? Has anyone ran 30LP and the Oregon non safety LP chains. Which do you prefer if you have. The 30LP really throws chips. I don't see such a huge advantage over .325, but have nevr run smaller saws equipped with it.

Back a the original discussion here.

I like 30LP on my smaller saws. I holds an edge well. It is pretty bouncy at the beginning of the cut but seems to settle down as the chips start flying. I'm wondering if a bar with more nose to it will reduce that jumping? Has anyone ran 30LP and the Oregon non safety LP chains. Which do you prefer if you have. The 30LP really throws chips. I don't see such a huge advantage over .325, but have nevr run smaller saws equipped with it.

The baileys chain you mention is essentially carlton N1C as best as I can tell. Compare it to Oregon vxl. The oregon has oil distributing holes in the drive links and more sled like bottoms to the tie straps. They seem to be pretty comparable, both sharpen easier than the Stihl 63 class picco probably because there is less thickness in the cutter and perhaps due to the chrome plating. There are 7 and 9 tooth noses in Oregon so unless the Woodsman pro bars have more than 9 tooth nose there isn't anything to discuss. I bought one of those bars in 0.325NK and it seems to have hammered out on the top where the chain comes off the sprocket drive more than I would think is normal so don't be surprised if you find similar. Usually the wear seems to be coming off the bottom of the nose sprocket on that Oregon 91 class stuff. I am actually liking the smaller Stihl chain 61pmm3 it is very smooth and sharpens easy though not as many times. I have yet to experiment with longer than 44 dl loops, Baileys seems to have just recently gotten competitively priced on that stuff, the bars may be more reasonable at the local Stihl dealer though.

FordF150 is putting a package together for me but it'll be .325/.050 16" on the bar, something like this 160GLGK041. It's a 12 tooth nose I think but I'm not sure how that compares to a 9 tooth .365 chain in size. I'd like to stay away from the Chinese and Taiwanese stuff if possible and support my fellow Americans, or at least our allies and neighbors.

I was gonna buy a GB bar for my 421 but they have the weird drive link count. They didn't have a 16" so i was gonna get an 18" just to use as a spare. The bar i have now is the 16"OEM Dolmar and is 56dl and the 18" should be 62dl....nope the GB is 67 drive links and its not a common size[emoji33]

Ford f150, I saw those on your page and noticed they are of a bigger profile. I'm looking for a 12 inch bar for my Tanaka if you come across one. I know that the old Pro 91 bar in 16 inch needed a 57 driver chain. I had one on my Red Max GZ4000 and the chain were old by the link and were expensive compared to the 56 DL chains.

Latest posts

Back