E10 Burns Dolmar 5100 Jug, Fact or Fiction?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Addendum

I just got through talking with a pro logger I know. I asked him if he'd had any problems with E10 in his saws and he said that, so far, he hadn't, but that of late he's had to adjust the idle down on all of them. That made me remember that I had to do the same thing to my saws when I started bucking firewood again a couple of weeks ago.

I told him my tale of woe, and he said he was going to re-tune his saws to let them run a bit richer and that he would be adding Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment to his mix from now on. He found out about the stuff from a snowmobile dealer who has a bunch of machines with blown heads from E10 sitting on his lot and a 500 gallon fuel tank full of spoiled (separated) E10. My logger friend has been using it in his snowmobile and is satisfied that it is doing the job for him. So, I went out and bought a bottle of it at NAPA. This is not the pink Sta-Bil stabilizer we are all familiar with, but rather dark blue and has "Marine Formula" on the label. The store I went to didn't have it on their shelves, but was keeping it under the counter because the supply wasn't keeping up with demand, and they were doling it out one bottle at a time to known customers.

Moving from 50:1 to 40:1 or lower only leans out the fuel mixture even more. There will be less fuel and more oil making it leaner.

You nailed it..... :clap: :clap:

I raced 2 strokes for years, and it was so hard for me to convince the others that running a 20:1 vs a 40:1 mix will make the top end run hotter with-out re-jetting the carb. :cheers:

I just got through talking with a pro logger I know. I asked him if he'd had any problems with E10 in his saws and he said that, so far, he hadn't, but that of late he's had to adjust the idle down on all of them. That made me remember that I had to do the same thing to my saws when I started bucking firewood again a couple of weeks ago.

I told him my tale of woe, and he said he was going to re-tune his saws to let them run a bit richer and that he would be adding Sta-Bil Ethanol Treatment to his mix from now on. He found out about the stuff from a snowmobile dealer who has a bunch of machines with blown heads from E10 sitting on his lot and a 500 gallon fuel tank full of spoiled (separated) E10. My logger friend has been using it in his snowmobile and is satisfied that it is doing the job for him. So, I went out and bought a bottle of it at NAPA. This is not the pink Sta-Bil stabilizer we are all familiar with, but rather dark blue and has "Marine Formula" on the label. The store I went to didn't have it on their shelves, but was keeping it under the counter because the supply wasn't keeping up with demand, and they were doling it out one bottle at a time to known customers.

I have been studying the e-10 situation and recently e-mailed Stabil and asked Marcel "Does Stabil PREVENT phase separation in e-10 gasolene".

Here is their answer:

"No product can prevent phase separation. Phase separation is nothing more than too much water in the gas. Theonly way to prevent it is to prevent moisture from getting in there inthe first place. Keep the tanks and equipment full of gas duringstorage and that should eliminate phase separation. Moisture is foundin the empty space of the tank, the less empty space = less water = noseparation."

and for e-10, regular vs. Marine Stabil: "Both will work fine. If you use a lot of gas, use Marine STA-BIL as it gives more bang for the buck."

It's my "opinion" that the Marine Stabil might just be more concentrated and/or have a bit more anti-corrosives to protect metal tanks...don't know this for fact, but compare the dosage rates for the two.

Just FYI

Pri G claims to lessen phase separation and also that it can reclaim 5 year old stale fuel.......lofty claims.

Last edited:
I have been studying the e-10 situation and recently e-mailed Stabil and asked Marcel "Does Stabil PREVENT phase separation in e-10 gasolene".

Here is their answer:

"No product can prevent phase separation. Phase separation is nothing more than too much water in the gas. Theonly way to prevent it is to prevent moisture from getting in there inthe first place. Keep the tanks and equipment full of gas duringstorage and that should eliminate phase separation. Moisture is foundin the empty space of the tank, the less empty space = less water = noseparation."

and for e-10, regular vs. Marine Stabil: "Both will work fine. If you use a lot of gas, use Marine STA-BIL as it gives more bang for the buck."

It's my "opinion" that the Marine Stabil might just be more concentrated and/or have a bit more anti-corrosives to protect metal tanks...don't know this for fact, but compare the dosage rates for the two.

Just FYI

Pri G claims to lessen phase separation and also that it can reclaim 5 year old stale fuel.......lofty claims.

Yeah. When my initial enthusiasm began to crumble under the weight of thought, I started coming to the same conclusion. :(

How much of an adjustment?

I have a 5100 and was wondering how much richer I should run it? Are we talking about a 1/4 turn on the H adjustment or what? Thanks.

Stihl issued a technical bulletin on E10

listed following guidelines

- make sure the carburetor is adjusted properly for the fuel that is being use. Oxygenated gas and gas containing ethanol has a tendency to "lean out" the carburetor mixture when compared to standard fuels. A slight carburetor adjustment may be needed.

- use a good quality two-cycle oil in the gas/oil mix

- keep your fuel fresh. Only buy enough gas that you can use up in two months.

- shake your gas can well, not only when you mix your fuel but every time you refuel

- drain the fuel if your equipment will be stored 60 days or more

- water or condensation in a fuel storage can or fuel tank can cause the ethanol to separate from the gas/oil mix. If this occurs, the ethanol will settle to the bottom and will have little or no lubrication mixed with it. Using this mixture will cause engine problems and damage

I hope this helps - I know my stuff is still running on the e10. I keep the fuel 60 days or less.

No problems from this 5100 owner @ 40:1

I'm making sure to mix only as much as what will be needed. I'd rather mix more frequent in small quantities to be on the safe side knowing it will be gone before any water accumulates.

I have a 5100 and was wondering how much richer I should run it? Are we talking about a 1/4 turn on the H adjustment or what? Thanks.

Whatever it takes. Just keep adjusting it richer a little at a time untill it make the best power in the cut, it won't be to lean set there. Keep in mind that in hot weather they need a little less fuel than when it's cold. Steve

wouldn't restart after running out of fuel the previous day

I wonder how much this had to do with it. I've read it is bad to let them run out since it can cause a saw to sieze due to lack of lube, especially if at high rpm when the gas runs out.

I'm surprised none of you smartypanties who work in the industry picked up on that.

Could have been one if the the contributing factor eh?

Seems to me a while back someone on here was having trouble with Stihl doing warranty work. Another case of: thanks for buying our product, we now have your money, now pi$$ off. Warranty, what warranty? My saws are void of warranty the day they get home anyway as the muffler gets done ASAP but you would think these companies would have better customer relations if they ever want people to buy their product again. At least the dealer is willing to work with him.

I wonder how much this had to do with it. I've read it is bad to let them run out since it can cause a saw to sieze due to lack of lube, especially if at high rpm when the gas runs out.

I'm surprised none of you smartypanties who work in the industry picked up on that.

Could have been one if the the contributing factor eh?

I don't work in the industry, still, I considered that possibility. Carrying my brains around in my drawers makes that happen. ;-)

I run that saw quite a bit richer now than before it burned out and I try to shut it down as soon as I notice it speeding up before running out of fuel. Of course, I don't catch it every time, but so far no further problems except for the occasional hard start from flooding - mostly due to the extra richness, I suppose.

Back