Ebay seller nightmare..Advice please..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r0858

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, I sold this echo saw on ebay almost a month ago., I personally tested the compression , it was almost 160 psi..

now the guy files a paypal claim and emails me saying the piston is scored and he wanted a full refund

the saw only sold for $225, but i really hate dealing with people like this, because they are dishonest.. he probably straight gassed it, or used the wrong mix, now trying to get some money back..

his feed back rating is only 5, mine is over 440, and I have sold twelve saws all with excellent feed back

i stated my case to ebays resolution center, but not sure how it is going to turn out.

what advice would you give about selling on ebay in the future vs. craigs list. i think i am going to be burned on this one, and im not going to let it happen again.

Always take pics of the piston through the exhaust port and post in the listing! Without proof you will most likely lose this one.

You can not take enough pictures to protect youself againist dishonesty, he could have said the tank leaks, or the bearings rattle, etc..... dishonesty goes to infinity..

You can not take enough pictures to protect youself againist dishonesty, he could have said the tank leaks, or the bearings rattle, etc..... dishonesty goes to infinity..

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

Ebay has it set up to favor the buyer. I went on a ride with an ignorant buyer awhile back. Good luck

While that is true, lots of pics in your listing are some protection. I've only ever sold one complete saw on Ebay which was a complete success, but have had other scamming buyers for other things. Sometimes you have to just suck it up and refund the $$ to save your feedback. To get a refund, they will have to return the saw, so at least that's something.

The good old days on e-bay are gone. I pretty much quit selling on there once they started that buyer protection bs. I have sold about 6-7 saws there in the past. Everybody was very pleased and most said better than described. Under this bs policy... a person can buy it, use it, wreck it and then you have to give them all their money back.

The good old days on e-bay are gone. I pretty much quit selling on there once they started that buyer protection bs. I have sold about 6-7 saws there in the past. Everybody was very pleased and most said better than described. Under this bs policy... a person can buy it, use it, wreck it and then you have to give them all their money back.

This is true, and once a seller has been burned, he wont get burned again. When a seller buys it , wrecks it, and wants a full refund, ebay will lose sellers in the end

Ok, I sold this echo saw on ebay almost a month ago., I personally tested the compression , it was almost 160 psi..

now the guy files a paypal claim and emails me saying the piston is scored and he wanted a full refund

the saw only sold for $225, but i really hate dealing with people like this, because they are dishonest.. he probably straight gassed it, or used the wrong mix, now trying to get some money back..

his feed back rating is only 5, mine is over 440, and I have sold twelve saws all with excellent feed back

i stated my case to ebays resolution center, but not sure how it is going to turn out.

what advice would you give about selling on ebay in the future vs. craigs list. i think i am going to be burned on this one, and im not going to let it happen again.

I refunded a saw (with shipping both ways), got the saw back, and it didn't have the same jug and piston as it left with. This was before I had a stamp and couldn't prove the parts had been swapped. If I ever catch this guy on the street I'll get my money back, you can bet on it.

I now have a metal stamp that I put into every saw I sell. It is only my initals but it is on every jug that goes out.

This is true, and once a seller has been burned, he wont get burned again. When a seller buys it , wrecks it, and wants a full refund, ebay will lose sellers in the end

I've been hosed as a seller as well, and the only thing you can do (to preserve your feedback rating at least) is to refund his money, right or wrong, the buyer wins.:mad:

I refunded a saw (with shipping both ways), got the saw back, and it didn't have the same jug and piston as it left with. This was before I had a stamp and couldn't prove the parts had been swapped. If I ever catch this guy on the street I'll get my money back, you can bet on it.

I now have a metal stamp that I put into every saw I sell. It is only my initals but it is on every jug that goes out.

How or where can i get a metal stamp made? I am aware of parts swappers, I listed no returns, but I see that means nothing

I have never SOLD anything on Ebay but have bought lots of stuff,
that would include 3 used chainsaws---2 from 2 different Stihl dealers.
Both have excellent reputation and had sold lots of "gone-thru and repaired" trade-in saws.
All were listed as "no returns accepted" because seller had "no control of how saw would be used after sell'.
This seems pretty clear to me--buy at your own risk.--Huh??--What's so hard about this?
Also have read about buyers changing parts and wanting to send back for refund. Lots of thieves out there.
But.."no returns accepted" should mean just that---and seller not responsible.
:cheers:
J2F

I've been hosed as a seller as well, and the only thing you can do (to preserve your feedback rating at least) is to refund his money, right or wrong, the buyer wins.:mad:

If the buyer wins, Im finished with paypal and ebay for good. I work hard to give my money away like that. Eventually, its going to be a free for all, buy something, say its not as described, put a piece of lead in the box and ship it back for a full refund. Who has time for all that.. just shift over to craigslist, and deal in person in cash..no ebay or paypal fees..

Excellent idea on the stamp. Photo documentation is also a good safeguard as has been already mentioned. Photos of the piston and jug are great, but none of these will absolutely protect you against people with no or low character. Another feature that may help safeguard is a reasonable return policy with specific limits. Studying some top sellers return policies can help you craft one that will guard against becoming an "ebay tool rental dealer." It is good to specify that the buyer also must pay return shipping. (Although Paypal may zap that because they guarantee a refund even of the shipping). Just some thoughts, I'm enjoying the posts in this thread, keep the information coming.

In some cases you are right about this. However, I sold an 029 super this past year to a guy who claimed it would not idle. He had a reasonable return period on the saw as specified in the list. He waited 2 weeks then tried to file a claim. The saw was practically pristine, and started on the second pull cold. It was THE nicest 029 super I have ever had.

We went through the claim process, and Paypal denied his claim. Come to find out he had done this before (actually very recently to almost the exact same tune, and on a chainsaw at that). He slapped me with the negative feedback which they eventually removed. Thanks for posting.

HI Guys,
Consider the b/s I went through with that Echo 8000 buyer I dealt with from here. I had asked the guy to send the saw back numerous times and he would not. He wanted a concession from me but to keep the saw as well? That was the dead giveaway that he was lying. JJ found the saw listed on Ebay the day it was received from me, I had the tracking information so I could see the dating with my own eyes. The seller quickly took his first listing down when this was discovered. Possibly trying to make money on the deal, buyers remorse or a mad wife-who knows... The buyer later listed the saw on ebay a second time, and it sold for a loss. Dishonesty surely did not help that d/b, so hopefully your case will have the same outcome.

Best wishes,
Bob

when i sold a sweet 2150 on ebay, my payment arrived to paypal very promptly. also did a weird letter from paypal in my email explaining that the money was in my account but unavailable till the customer received the saw and was totally happy, we know this is differernt but something new we are doing i was like w.t.-?? my feedback is 100% youve got to be kidding me! he could kill the saw in minutes! they are shipped empty of liquids. i immediately went to my ebay messages and sent him a detailed mail telling him to refill the saw with 40-1 premixed fuel and bar oil . he was happy when he tried the saw and everything went ok but i still didnt like the whole idea one bit.

HI Guys,
Consider the b/s I went through with that Echo 8000 buyer I dealt with from here. I had asked the guy to send the saw back numerous times and he would not. He wanted a concession from me but to keep the saw as well? That was the dead giveaway that he was lying. JJ found the saw listed on Ebay the day it was received from me, I had the tracking information so I could see the dating with my own eyes. The seller quickly took his first listing down when this was discovered. Possibly trying to make money on the deal, buyers remorse or a mad wife-who knows... The buyer later listed the saw on ebay a second time, and it sold for a loss. Dishonesty surely did not help that d/b, so hopefully your case will have the same outcome.

Best wishes,
Bob

Bob, I remember that well. It was a definite CF situation for sure. You handled yourself well, IMO.

I've never sold on the bay, but have bought lots and lots and lots of stuff there, and have so far always had at least good experiences, and mostly excellent experiences.

In fact, I've only had one really bad experience buying anything used through an online forum, and that wasn't chainsaw related.

Back