Ebay seller nightmare..Advice please..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay is fine if your the buyer. Now, if your the seller you better worry after every sell.
Ebay has changed drastically over the last couple years. You guys remember when you could find anything you were looking for half the price as any store? Well, now everything there is higher than about any store out there. The only deals you can get are buying from a "ordinary" person, not a career seller.

Like here lately I've been buying some new carhartt work clothes. The pants that I got from Dungarees.net were 34 bucks with free shipping. Same ones on Ebay were 44.99 plus 8 bucks for shipping! Five years ago you would have found them for 25 bucks and 5 for shipping.

That plus the way buyers are in control of all situations, turns me on Ebay. It's bad when you have a listing for a saw with "as is" clearly stated, then they make you refund a guy with no proof (other than his word) that anything was wrong with it to begin with.

I think they need to change thier little rules and regs or be forced to by boycotting! :cheers:

I sell a bit on ebay, always show a valid compression check, a crankcase pressure check if the seals have been changed and a vid of the saw starting, running, cutting and a chainbrake test.

I also state no returns and offer prior testing - can't do much more - most of my sales have been 100% fine - if people pick up kit, I always demo it - had one non starter but I had started it in front of his son - seems the lad hadn't told his father how to put the throttle on fast for cold start up - ended up ok after a telephone conversation!

Now, some of the saws I have purchased off eBay..........:cry::mad:

Spud

Ebay is fine if your the buyer. Now, if your the seller you better worry after every sell.
Ebay has changed drastically over the last couple years. You guys remember when you could find anything you were looking for half the price as any store? Well, now everything there is higher than about any store out there. The only deals you can get are buying from a "ordinary" person, not a career seller.

Like here lately I've been buying some new carhartt work clothes. The pants that I got from Dungarees.net were 34 bucks with free shipping. Same ones on Ebay were 44.99 plus 8 bucks for shipping! Five years ago you would have found them for 25 bucks and 5 for shipping.

That plus the way buyers are in control of all situations, turns me on Ebay. It's bad when you have a listing for a saw with "as is" clearly stated, then they make you refund a guy with no proof (other than his word) that anything was wrong with it to begin with.

I think they need to change thier little rules and regs or be forced to by boycotting! :cheers:

Well, I've been buying on ebay since 1998, and IMO it's ALWAYS been a seller's market price wise. By that I mean people have for may years been getting new prices for used gear. Take the Ambassaduer 5500 series reel, for example. Just one of many possible examples. A LNIB 5500 would sell 10 years ago for $5 more than you could buy a new one on sale in a big box store, and then you add another $5-$10 for shipping.

Insane. It's been that way for a long time, and remains that way for many classes of items.

Policies that favor buyer over seller that have cropped up over the last couple years are a different matter.

I am surprised that I have never heard any anti-trust action being taken against e-Bay for being a monopoly. The government certainly went after Bill Gates and I bet he held a smaller share of the software market than e-Bay does in the Internet auction space. As the only game in town, you have to play by their rules in order to reach their customers.

Last edited:
I am surprised that I have never heard any anti-trust action being taken against e-Bay for being a monopoly. The government certainly went after Bill Gates and I bet he held a smaller share of the software market than e-Bay does in the Internet auction space. As the only game in town, you have to play by their rules in order to reach their customers.

I think they have expended some funds to defend a few and I know currently there is a class action filed in NY based on the way they are operating, with escrows, returns, rulings etc. I'll look for that link.

you said you sold this about a month ago,and hes now saying it doesnt work?! whats the time limit on claims i would say once its in his hand for 48hrs thats it,a month, thats rediculous.

Trimmed thats one reason why im in the process of adding a payment solution to my store front E- Checks that will be available as soon as i get approved thru quickbooks merchant services 0.23 cents per check plus $ 9.95 a month is well worth it if it will boost customer satisfaction also i have three items on amazon check it out

be nice if they did

That's kinda what a class action suit is. Problem is that these big companies have mega-lawyers and will stall the judgment out for years if the court lets them. I hope the judge has enough guts to stand by the original ruling of default. Sellers shouldn't have to do anything unless they DON'T want to be part of the suit.

Well, I've been buying on ebay since 1998, and IMO it's ALWAYS been a seller's market price wise. By that I mean people have for may years been getting new prices for used gear. Take the Ambassaduer 5500 series reel, for example. Just one of many possible examples. A LNIB 5500 would sell 10 years ago for $5 more than you could buy a new one on sale in a big box store, and then you add another $5-$10 for shipping.

Insane. It's been that way for a long time, and remains that way for many classes of items.

Policies that favor buyer over seller that have cropped up over the last couple years are a different matter.

Ebay may appear to be a sellers market buy some of the prices that some of the auctions fetch. However, when you subtract the 12-14 percent that the Ebay/Paypal combo takes from your purchase, then the money you may possibly lose in underestimating shipping cost, you really could come out just a few dollars to the good. And that sometimes is not worth the sale. Fees and cost are getting to be HUGE on ebay.

Ebay may appear to be a sellers market buy some of the prices that some of the auctions fetch. However, when you subtract the 12-14 percent that the Ebay/Paypal combo takes from your purchase, then the money you may possibly lose in underestimating shipping cost, you really could come out just a few dollars to the good. And that sometimes is not worth the sale. Fees and cost are getting to be HUGE on ebay.
Yeah, that's why most of us here have gone to Craigs List or other forms of selling. Just look at the chainsaws, for example, on ebay. About the only saws that consistently bring decent money are Stihl, some Huskys, Echo, and Dolmar but when you subtract the ebay and paypal fees they really aren't fetching that much. I know I'd like to have some of mine back if I'd known they'd only net me about $20 after everything was taken out. If someone on the street came up and asked me if I'd take $15 or $20 for a good running chainsaw I would probably say no, but it happens all the time on ebay.

Sometimes I just feel plain stupid - $700 tied up!

I have "purchased" two saws this month from Ebay and both times I've been burned.
The first one was a Stihl 361 that Ebay removed from the listing immediately after I won the bid and paid for it. Literally it all happened in the space of probably less than a minute! The saw I received was NOT the saw pictured. The seller just cut & pasted from a previous auction and sent me one very heavily used in a commercial operation, still dirty with metal chips out of the bottom of the guard, saw.
In the second auction I purchased a Stihl MS200t and it was the same thing! This time the seller had the audacity to state that his neighbor used it once a year to trim two trees, even used the word "nice". You guessed it, commercial use saw that had obviously been dropped, had parts broken off and the muffler was just kind of dangling in place! As soon as I received this saw the pictures magically disappeared from his listing. Wow what a coincidence.
In both instances I took pictures immediately, didn't even start the saws, opened dispute cases and contacted Ebay right then. As a buyer I'm pretty ticked off and believe I have a right to be.
One these guys purports to have a shop, and said he gets saws all the time. Yeah he has a shop alright, it's a car stereo shop in Culpeper,VA.
Think I'm gonna lurk a bit more here and try to understand the ins and outs of getting my saws through this site. What do you guys think? Don't seem to see too many 200t's or 260's etc. in the for sale section. Am I once again missing the obvious? Several someones I should be contacting directly?
Steve
Then again maybe it's a moot point and I'm gonna get stuck with both of these saws and end up having to rebuild em both!

This is a great thread. I can understand the sellers experience better.

I've only been a buyer.

I bought a Husky 2100 parts saw -- turned out it was a 285. I bought a 288 parts saw with a "good body" -- had a crack and missing chunk on the clutch side. Bought a 2100 top cover which looked new in the picture -- was covered with orange runny enamel.

On each of these I looked at what I had, what I'd paid for it, the possibility that incompetence rather than bad intents were involved and gave good ratings.

On others however where the part was acknowledged by the seller to be the wrong size, I returned it on my dime, and the seller didn't respond; I've raised bloody hell and have had ebay reimburse me.

It's a process involving give and take. For every bad one above there's been a good one.

I have had bad experiences with ebay as both a buyer and a seller but it usually wasn't ebay's fault. It is generally the dishonesty or the incompetence of the other party. The only complaints I've had with ebay management is their increasingly high fees when they advertise lower fees and their insistence on us using pay pal with their fees also. The feedback on ebay works only for the buyers anymore so the sellers don't have much say so when they get stiffed. Ebay blocks out addresses of sellers so the buyer can't get a hint of whether they purchased from the person before. Remember, a seller can close their account and open up a new one with a different user name but if they'd show their address we would have a clue that it might be the same guy.

Ebay blows, no other way to put it. Not to bad for a buyer but plain retarded to use as a seller. The old Ebay was decent and kept the game somewhat honest. Now they can keep your money until the buyer is happy and they can do whatever they please for a refund. Best thing is to not use them and let it die.

:censored: Fleabay!

According to http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

I can request money order only. I would have to list the saw in the category Business & Industrial > Agriculture & Forestry > Tractors & Farm Machinery

I see a guy in canada does that to sell his saws and he request money orders only

I've never had PayPal hold any of my funds, but they can whenever they feel like it. :cry:

This seems like something I may look at trying as well, like Trimmmed said, thanks for the link.

when i sold a sweet 2150 on ebay, my payment arrived to paypal very promptly. also did a weird letter from paypal in my email explaining that the money was in my account but unavailable till the customer received the saw and was totally happy, we know this is differernt but something new we are doing i was like w.t.-?? my feedback is 100% youve got to be kidding me! he could kill the saw in minutes! they are shipped empty of liquids. i immediately went to my ebay messages and sent him a detailed mail telling him to refill the saw with 40-1 premixed fuel and bar oil . he was happy when he tried the saw and everything went ok but i still didnt like the whole idea one bit.

They consider outdoor power equipment a "high risk" category. I had set up a 2nd ebay account to separate the 2 stroke stuff I sell from the plow pumps. If I sell a saw from my primary acct. (feedback 816-100%) I get my $$ immediately. If I sell from the 2nd acct. (feedback around 20-can't remember), the $$ get hijacked until the buyer leaves a pos. Needless to say, I never use the 2nd acct.

Back