Ebay seller nightmare..Advice please..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i sold a sweet 2150 on ebay, my payment arrived to paypal very promptly. also did a weird letter from paypal in my email explaining that the money was in my account but unavailable till the customer received the saw and was totally happy, we know this is differernt but something new we are doing i was like w.t.-?? my feedback is 100% youve got to be kidding me! he could kill the saw in minutes! they are shipped empty of liquids. i immediately went to my ebay messages and sent him a detailed mail telling him to refill the saw with 40-1 premixed fuel and bar oil . he was happy when he tried the saw and everything went ok but i still didnt like the whole idea one bit.

Good point. If paypal is going to do a hold on your money while the buyer decides if the saw will hold up for 45 days or until they destroy it, then selling on ebay is pointless. This experience has taught me a lesson for sure.

when i sold a sweet 2150 on ebay, my payment arrived to paypal very promptly. also did a weird letter from paypal in my email explaining that the money was in my account but unavailable till the customer received the saw and was totally happy, we know this is differernt but something new we are doing i was like w.t.-?? my feedback is 100% youve got to be kidding me! he could kill the saw in minutes! they are shipped empty of liquids. i immediately went to my ebay messages and sent him a detailed mail telling him to refill the saw with 40-1 premixed fuel and bar oil . he was happy when he tried the saw and everything went ok but i still didnt like the whole idea one bit.

I have a good buddy who sold a piece of camera gear and was PayPaled the money. He went to turn around and use it right away to buy a different piece of camera gear and PayPal wouldn't allow the transaction. They said they put random holds on a very small percentage of transactions as system/security tests. My buddy wrangled with them for a full day, and they finally lifted the hold, but the piece of gear he was after had already sold.

Who knew?

I've sold about 40 saws on ebay, some as runners, and some for parts. I've mostly had good dealings with the buyers, but a few try to renegotiate the deal after they receive the saw. I've refunded a few bucks to keep my feedback at 100%. I've not been hosed yet, but the environment seems to be getting worse. In the last two weeks I've had buyers ask for partial refunds, one I was OK with, (I didn't check and note compression in the listing, so my bad), and the other I felt I was being jerked around so I told him so and he went away. I am getting more wary about ebay, but this area is so remote it's about my only option.

I've sold about 40 saws on ebay, some as runners, and some for parts. I've mostly had good dealings with the buyers, but a few try to renegotiate the deal after they receive the saw. I've refunded a few bucks to keep my feedback at 100%. I've not been hosed yet, but the environment seems to be getting worse. In the last two weeks I've had buyers ask for partial refunds, one I was OK with, (I didn't check and note compression in the listing, so my bad), and the other I felt I was being jerked around so I told him so and he went away. I am getting more wary about ebay, but this area is so remote it's about my only option.

I do feel like im being jerked around. But all it takes is for you to lose one time on a saw, and thats it. I been doing some research and I read accepting postal money orders is they way to go rather than paypal if you use ebay.

I do feel like im being jerked around. But all it takes is for you to lose one time on a saw, and thats it. I been doing some research and I read accepting postal money orders is they way to go rather than paypal if you use ebay.

The worm turns both ways.

As a buyer on ebay, using PayPal gives you a certain level of protection. I recently bought a laptop using PayPal off a guy on an online forum that he said was in "perfect working order." Well, he shipped it wrapped in three thicknesses of the thinnest bubble wrap and rattling around in a USPS flat rate box that was too big for it.

Wouldn't even boot up, no surprise.

He refused to take it back, and PayPal denied my claim. Had I bought it on ebay with PayPal, I'd have my money on its way back. Happy ending is it only cost us about $50 to buy the operating system and troubleshoot the laptap back to life. Well, it took a couple days, too. :(

Anyway, I know this is really a thread about seller ebay pitfalls. Just wanted to point out there are two sides to everything. I can tell you that I'd been considering doing a lot of ebay selling very carefully, and now I don't think I'm likely to go to the trouble, based on the experiences recounted in this thread.

You want advice, OK

Ebay seller nightmare..Advice please.. ... blah blah .... more blah blah..

I'll give advice. Two basic approaches:

1. Don't screw around on eBay, or

2. Take any amount of money you're prepared to spend or sell for and put it the trash can. If this does not bother you, proceed with your eBay odyssey, otherwise don't screw around on eBay.

That about covers it,

joat

I'll give advice. Two basic approaches:

1. Don't screw around on eBay, or

2. Take any amount of money you're prepared to spend or sell for and put it the trash can. If this does not bother you, proceed with your eBay odyssey, otherwise don't screw around on eBay.

That about covers it,

joat

Kind of harsh....

You sound a tad "bitte r"....

Kind of harsh....

You sound a tad "bitte r"....

he's actually giving sound advice..maybe I could buy dozen or so small items off you to completely prove his point.

To the OP, if the buyer does not have a "screw over" history, you are more than likely gonna get screwed.

As for the rec to take pictures......ok, but the pictures have to be used in the actual auction to be used in a dispute, same thing with invisible marks etc. If not part and parcel to the auction, i.e. in the auction photo's.......inadmissible.

Anyone caving on a deal to "preserve their feedback" is a sissy and part of the problem. The more of that kind of ass kissing that goes on, the more you are going to see.

I think of Ebay as I do gambling, don't bet more than you can afford to loose. I don't think ebay has ruined it, or bad buyers, or bad sellers, it's just what it is, and that is the best online auction business going. I really do not think it's as good as it was 5 yrs ago, but it's still going strong. I'm not really that impressed w craigs list either, and I've bought good saws off of both. I've never been taken on either, but I think a guy was trying to get me on a piece of 3/4 double braid line one time, but he never got my money in the long run, thanks to paypal. What's the choices? gamble a little, or not?

I think of Ebay as I do gambling, don't bet more than you can afford to loose. I don't think ebay has ruined it, or bad buyers, or bad sellers, it's just what it is, and that is the best online auction business going. I really do not think it's as good as it was 5 yrs ago, but it's still going strong. I'm not really that impressed w craigs list either, and I've bought good saws off of both. I've never been taken on either, but I think a guy was trying to get me on a piece of 3/4 double braid line one time, but he never got my money in the long run, thanks to paypal. What's the choices? gamble a little, or not?

Ebay is a gamble, just like anything else. But it will be my choice if I choose to use them to sell again. I see alot of sellers requesting money order as payment rather than paypal. I am glad I havent sold any of my large stihl power heads, 460s, 660s, etc..I feally could have gotton screw on those. I mean how crazy is that, someone has 45 days after they make a paypal payment to make a claim??!!

I understand what you're sayin, I don't make the rules, and I don't agree with all of them. But it is the best auction system on line, at least that I've seen. Craigs list is more like the old classified adds in the paper. Hopefully someday there will be a better choice, but there will always be cons out there on both the buying and selling side.

he's actually giving sound advice..maybe I could buy dozen or so small items off you to completely prove his point.

To the OP, if the buyer does not have a "screw over" history, you are more than likely gonna get screwed.

As for the rec to take pictures......ok, but the pictures have to be used in the actual auction to be used in a dispute, same thing with invisible marks etc. If not part and parcel to the auction, i.e. in the auction photo's.......inadmissible.

Anyone caving on a deal to "preserve their feedback" is a sissy and part of the problem. The more of that kind of ass kissing that goes on, the more you are going to see.

Good post Trimmed, you sound well informed on the ebay game.

Although I'm sittin here feelin like a sissy ass kisser now......... :cry:

I do not currently sell on ebay for several reasons
very seldom visit that site anyhow ebay has there own guidelines so even if a dealer goes on there and sells electronic parts and the buyer says it dont work guess what happens then

but if you have your own site and that happens it simply says it no returns on electrical parts in the guidelines on the store site

so i can see where you are coming from on this

Good post Trimmed, you sound well informed on the ebay game.

Although I'm sittin here feelin like a sissy ass kisser now......... :cry:

Don't let Ebay force you into THEIR mold. Everything they preach is simply for their own benefit and at your expense, they have no regard or loyalties to you ( or me or anyone), just the almighty buck. Feed back is bullcrap, you can have another ID by just changing your email. You can use the same paypal for as many ID's as you want . Ebay allows this.......just like they allow up to 10 instances of being caught shill bidding, that's being caught mind you, not how many times you've done it. How freaking honorable is that??? Yet if you charge a nickel more on shipping than actual cost..... you're a criminal according to them.

Plus don't feel bad, I have 1 neg in close to 1300 deals or so and I have protected my feedback as well in days gone by, but I do not do that anymore, que sera sera, I treat folks as buyers the same way I would like to be treated as a buyer and let the chips fall where they may. I don't sell crap or anything I would not be happy buying myself and my view is if I am going to be beat by an unscrupulous buyer, so be it, but I will be damned if I'm kissing any ass about it. Ebay creates these creep buyers in their attempt to be more like amazon.com......who happens to kick their ass btw.

Don't let Ebay force you into THEIR mold. Everything they preach is simply for their own benefit and at your expense, they have no regard or loyalties to you ( or me or anyone), just the almighty buck. Feed back is bullcrap, you can have another ID by just changing your email. You can use the same paypal for as many ID's as you want . Ebay allows this.......just like they allow up to 10 instances of being caught shill bidding, that's being caught mind you, not how many times you've done it. How freaking honorable is that??? Yet if you charge a nickel more on shipping than actual cost..... you're a criminal according to them.

Plus don't feel bad, I have 1 neg in close to 1300 deals or so and I have protected my feedback as well in days gone by, but I do not do that anymore, que sera sera, I treat folks as buyers the same way I would like to be treated as a buyer and let the chips fall where they may. I don't sell crap or anything I would not be happy buying myself and my view is if I am going to be beat by an unscrupulous buyer, so be it, but I will be damned if I'm kissing any ass about it. Ebay creates these creep buyers in their attempt to be more like amazon.com......who happens to kick their ass btw.

You are right on the money. I did not kiss the buyers ass. I called him out on his bs and told him he was lying about the scored piston. I am forcing his hand, and in turn forcing ebays hand to make a decision. If they wish to rule against me so be it, but that will be the end of paypal, and moving to postal money orders for sure for my own protection. Id rather get taken for this $200 saw rather than a $800 saw. In this economy people are doing this more and more. A friend of mine works in Dallas Tx at a pawn shop, and b/c of fradulent bidders they quit selling on ebay in March of this year. They had been selling on ebay since 1999.

i was going to make amazon as a affiliate on my items but they will not sell for people in north carolina for some odd reason

i take and modify that above comment they wont allow affiliates but they will allow businesses to sell there products on there i just put a part on there so i will see how this works

Last edited:
You are right on the money. I did not kiss the buyers ass. I called him out on his bs and told him he was lying about the scored piston. I am forcing his hand, and in turn forcing ebays hand to make a decision. If they wish to rule against me so be it, but that will be the end of paypal, and moving to postal money orders for sure for my own protection. Id rather get taken for this $200 saw rather than a $800 saw. In this economy people are doing this more and more. A friend of mine works in Dallas Tx at a pawn shop, and b/c of fradulent bidders they quit selling on ebay in March of this year. They had been selling on ebay since 1999.

I hope the guy has a history of scamming and you win. Keep in mind that you do not have to offer paypal.......but........you do have to offer some form of electronic payments. You cannot, (like in the old days) just say money orders only. IT'S AGAINST EBAYS RULES! They actually have software that searches listings for words to that effect. You are however, allowed to take any form of payment, you just can't say so in your auction. And yes, some get away with it until they get caught, the feebay pulls the listing.

I hope the guy has a history of scamming and you win. Keep in mind that you do not have to offer paypal.......but........you do have to offer some form of electronic payments. You cannot, (like in the old days) just say money orders only. IT'S AGAINST EBAYS RULES! They actually have software that searches listings for words to that effect. You are however, allowed to take any form of payment, you just can't say so in your auction. And yes, some get away with it until they get caught, the feebay pulls the listing.

According to http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html

I can request money order only. I would have to list the saw in the category Business & Industrial > Agriculture & Forestry > Tractors & Farm Machinery

I see a guy in canada does that to sell his saws and he request money orders only

Hope it works out for you. I've only had a couple issues with ebay fortunately, and in both situations I was the buyer. You seem to be well spoken and well educated with Ebay- and that definitely plays a strong role in the dispute.
One of the guys that I had trouble with, claimed that parts must have rattled loose in shipping- and also mentioned that the saw leaked fuel (after he sold it to me, but not during the auction). I won that deal (who'd a thunk it).

Back