Echo CS-440 Clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolGarage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Echo CS-440. It became virtually impossible to pull the starter rope. Based on past experience, I was thinking it is the clutch. Bar and chain removed, same issue. I removed the spark plug and the cord pulls very easily. Seems to me that if it was the clutch that the issue would remain even with the plug out. Any thoughts on what the issue could be? Thank you.

Hey coolgarage, take a look at a similar post about the very same issue.
It appears that the saw is difficult to start but someone suggested giving it 1/8 ccw more fuel on the L needle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Do you know if you have spark? Maybe it's starting to hydolock, hard to pull w/ plug in easy w/o. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Its hydrolocking. Take out the plug, pull the saw over 20 - 30 times to expel the excess fuel in the crankcase, let it dry up a bit then try with the plug back in, too much fuel mix in the crankcase will stop them up dead. Most likely cause is a seeping past the metering valve seat carb.

Its hydrolocking. Take out the plug, pull the saw over 20 - 30 times to expel the excess fuel in the crankcase, let it dry up a bit then try with the plug back in, too much fuel mix in the crankcase will stop them up dead. Most likely cause is a seeping past the metering valve seat carb.
As he said but flip the saw over, get fuel out faster.

Steve Sidwell

I am trying this..............will be a little while. Not clear to me because if there is fluid in crankcase, what difference would the plug make? Sure there is no compression, but the fluid should still make it impossible to turn the crankshaft. Isn't that right??

With the plug out, pressure has somewhere to go, out the plug hole. Plug in, there is pressure with the piston going down, which forces what's in the crankcase to the cylinder where it get compressed even more. Can't compress with something like lot a of fuel.

Steve Sidwell

Interesting. It has been upside down for 45 minutes after 50 pulls. No sign or smell of oil or gasoline. Maybe exhaust port plugged? I will take the muffler off and try to see. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back