Echo CS-440 Clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found one in my Polaris intake pipe, and Yamaha 2stroke Zuma once also. Suckers wouldn't start to save your life. Knew something was up when both started when I pulled the air filters off and they started and kept running when I put the filters back. I found the problem when I put the covers back, neither started. Lil dobbers will get ya when you ain't looking. Scamps even dobbed up my ignition switch on my Husky Fast Tractor once, learned to leave key in.

Steve Sidwell

I am baffled. Removed the muffler, all looks good in the muffler and in the cylinder. Same issue, pulls freely without plug, cannot pull it with plug in. Either way, the gear that drives the chain rotates and then rotates freely with the clutch until it stops. I don't know if that makes sense.

I am baffled. Removed the muffler, all looks good in the muffler and in the cylinder. Same issue, pulls freely without plug, cannot pull it with plug in. Either way, the gear that drives the chain rotates and then rotates freely with the clutch until it stops. I don't know if that makes sense.
That's not making sense to me but that might be your problem please go on.

Take the chain and bar off, install the clutch cover, that will eliminate that. Try and dribble a little fuel mix into the plug hole, not much then slowly pull the starter. Do it a few times to lube up the piston and cylinder. Could be that it is dry with no lube.

Steve Sidwell

Hi, Steve. I did what you recommended, including mix in the cylinder even though I could see the piston was well lubed through the exhaust port. Still doesn't pull with plug in and easy with plug out. Would it make sense to drain the entire crankcase, and how would one do that? Thanks!

But there is no sign of fuel mix above the piston. I am an expert on 4-cycle engines, but know little about 2 cycle engines. Is the mix actually in the crankcase? can it be drained by opening the fuel mix tank and turning it on its side? Thanks.

You could possibly have fuel trapped below the piston, need to lay saw on its side and piston centered so the fuel can flow down the side in the channels if your saw has them and dump out the plug hole.
270a7ef80f1f341cc6512427d3d57c28.jpg

I had the very same issue with my Homelite SXL-925, it actually hurt my hand and fingers to pull. Caution that you don't bend or break anything.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Put outside upside down pull it over while upside down . do see any gas coming from the spark plug hole?

Plug is NGK BPM8Y. But this has nothing to do with starting....................cannot even pull the cord to start it with the plug in.
This tool only has about 2 - 3 hours on it. It did this about 6 years ago too, but I never took the plug out as I did this time. I had taken it to an authorized store back then and they replaced the clutch. It worked fine the next two times, then it sat unused for a couple years. When I went to use it again, the old problem returned.

I've got a 400 and have never had a hard start problem. Don't believe you are having a clutch problem with everything off. That why I said to remove bar and chain, to eliminate the clutch. I've got an old saw that is real hard to turn over, if you don't use the decompression release valve. It will rip your fingers off. Too bad you live too far, I wouldn't mind seeing what's going on.

Steve Sidwell

Hi, Steve. I am totally at a loss. Maybe I will pull the clutch and see what happens. After that, I will take it apart piece by piece. Or maybe I'll put it in a box and ship it to you. LOL :crazy2:

Back