employment in Canada or the States

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highside

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,prob not posting this in the right forum,but I thought you might give me a bit of insight...I'm a bushman from New Zealand,have all the right tickets and modules, I know absolutely nothing about logging in that hemisphere up there,but I know how to cut wood! What sort of employment oppotunities might be available?Is there a big demand for chainsaw/machine operators?What sort of money might be on offer? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys

in Oregon logging jobs are getting tough to find, some jobs as heavy equipment operators. there is some jobs out here but not many. washington and northern california i assume to be the same. i cant say about the rest of the states or canada but i can say that canada you have to take classes to become a feller and it sounds like it can be expensive. others on this site can probably give you more help. try posting in the forestry and logging forum on the home page

roger that, thanks for the input...just putting the feelers out more than anything,jobs here are a dime a dozen if you're any good,wondering what I can pick up when we go overseas in the next 12 months

although here in oregon we are cutting more timber then we have in the past few years so it is possible that there will be some more opening up, not sure though.

What sort of wood are you cutting predominately? how old,how big? What size are your crews...I'm interested to hear how your operations differ from ours

Here in Quebec prvince ( east coast Canada ),the loggers are almost gone,mainly harvester machines now everywhere.And the loggers still working are not earning much and enough to be considered a"good' job.Fir,spruce,poplar,birch mainly in smal size usually under 20 ".Very few are still working with skidders.

Conditions are similar in New Hampshire USA. You might get a berth on a grapple skidder for $12 an hour, but you won't find steady work with a chainsaw unless you have your own machine and some good contacts.

I can't speak for Canada, but in the USA you'd have to be working "off-the-books". To be official you'd need the correct visa (almost impossible) and if you came on a tourist visa, you wouldn't have the right documents for your employer to fullfill the I9 criteria. Bringing your gear would raise a few red flags.. Not to say there aren't millions of illegal workers here, but...

You could of course just "visit" immediately after the next PNW windstorm... ;)

Last edited:
Come to Canada, burn your passport, claim refugeee status, go an crime spree before your hearing and you will get to stay. This has actually happened here, more than once, sad to say. You could come here, find work for a tree service, there are ways to work when you are not "proper", have fun, see places and make it last untill you are asked to leave, that what I would do if the situation was reversed. Good luck.

Thanks for the input- I was imagining that there would jobs everywhere, and that it wouldn't be too hard to pick up work if you're experienced...quite the opposite I see!

Come to Canada, burn your passport, claim refugeee status, go an crime spree before your hearing and you will get to stay. This has actually happened here, more than once, sad to say. You could come here, find work for a tree service, there are ways to work when you are not "proper", have fun, see places and make it last untill you are asked to leave, that what I would do if the situation was reversed. Good luck.

If your a white engish speaking male than Canada isn't the place to find work. On the other hand, if your african american speaking french with a native status card than you could have your pick of almost any job and papers qualifications wouldn't matter just flash your status card, speak alittle french and your a Canadian citizen. Lol.

If your a white engish speaking male than Canada isn't the place to find work. On the other hand, if your african american speaking french with a native status card than you could have your pick of almost any job and papers qualifications wouldn't matter just flash your status card, speak alittle french and your a Canadian citizen. Lol.

You are racist, when you get out of jail and pay your fines you will go to sensitivity training at an approved Canadian Human Rights Commission facility, where trans-gendered people of color will re-educate you.
Good one Doc, thats about it.

:ices_rofl: If you do indeed meet the latter criteria I'd consider applying for a job as a news anchor or reporter for the CBC.The ability to read/speak English during an English broadcast isn't a requirement.You may also consider writing your bar exam or the RCMP as this group requires a far lesser standard to be accepted.:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Back