Exact Measurement for Gas and oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When mixing oil, you must be very very careful. If it's not exactly 50:1, your saw will self detonate. This also means that your oil must be at the same temperature as your gas when measuring it. Otherwise it'll throw your ratios out of whack, and the saw will die a horrible death. If you want that for your poor saw, send that poor Stihl to me for proper use, and go but a home depot echo.

Kidding.

In all seriousness though, I'm not terribly concerned about that though. I am picky on the gas I use though. I'll only use Shell premium, and I fill my jerry can after I fill my car with premium. (It's a European car and gets the best cost to miles driven on premium as of my last calculations.) I put stabilizer and about an eighth of a can of seafoam into it, and have used that gas a year after I've mixed it. Runs just fine. I have tried Stihl full synthetic, and I didn't like the smell of it, and it carboned up my stuff. I switched to Amsoil Sabre at about 50:1, which is the only other full synthetic oil readily available to me, and had no more carboning problem. It seemed to clean up the carboning that I did have.

The 4 mix units don't like the carboning that seems to happen with the stihl oil, and seem to run better with the amsoil. I bought a used one that a guy couldn't get to run, adjusted the valves, took the spark arrestor out, and got it going and ran it on a rack hard with some steam being pumped into the intake. It puked all kinds of nasty carbon out of it. Had to take the muffler off and bake it to get the carbon out. Also had to adjust the valves after cleaning the engine. Through the spark plug hole before and after was a major change. Before, the piston was just nasty in the amount of carbon coating. After, It was almost factory new clean. It runs great since.

I've been alternating the stihl synthetic and the amsoil to use up the pack of stihl oil that I bought. As of right now, once it's done, I won't be buying any more stihl oil until they change it, then I'll give it another try.

I don't use near as much saw mix as I used to so I simply add a bottle of 5-gallon mix oil to four gallons of gasoline and I'm done. For the small saws and the saws that don't get much use I use Home Depot 40:1 canned fuel. Could not be happier with the HD fuel. (There are no stations that sell alcohol free gasoline and the jobber wants $11.00/gallon).

People way overthink this subject... I'd bet a $1000 with a good oil, and carb tuned, you could run a modern saw anywhere from 20:1 to 60:1 for at least a few tanks of gas without hurting it.

No oil: dead engine
Or
Too lean carb: dead engine

That's my experience at least...

My local small engine repair guy said the same thing.
When I bought the Stihl I asked the salesman about that.
He said if you don't use the exact measurement of 50:1 it'll void my warranty.
He went on to say they would be able to tell if it was run lean or with too much oil.
He gave me a 2 year warranty which I thought was pretty good.

I'm using the mini Still bottles of oil they gave me but I'll switch back to my Canadian Tire jug of 2 stroke oil when i run out.

Saw should run fine on anything from 50:1 to 40:1 PROVIDING that it is tuned correctly for that ratio. Oil displaces gas so leans out the mixture. This is not good especially with the newer saws (like yours with carb limiter caps) that are borderline lean to begin with. Since you are under warranty I would stick with 50:1 until you can safely ditch the limiter caps (out of warranty) and retune the saw.

I'm using the mini Still bottles of oil they gave me but I'll switch back to my Canadian Tire jug of 2 stroke oil when i run out.
Ditch your Canadian Tire oil. What you should be using is a quality name-brand 2-stroke oil that is designed for use in AIR-COOLED engines.

Is the bulk 2 stroke oil good or harmful?
(again, I burned out the Echo but I'm not sure if it burned out because of what it was or something else. I know the Echo wasn't a real heavy duty saw)
Unknown. There is nothing inherently wrong with Echo chain saws. All saws usually die for a good reason. These could include forcing it to cut with a dull chain, old stale gas > 6 weeks from the pump, improper tuning, crankcase air leak, etc.

Back