Extreme Stihl Dealer Dissapointment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This post has definitely started to {whined down}..........

A lot of blathering about someone mad that a dealer wouldn't haggle with him.

Yes, names and phone numbers should be left out.

When folks complain about this price or that, and then tell me they can get it as
a shop 50 miles away, I tell them "well go there then".

I do it politely, and don't waste too much time with them, as my time is too
important for that and the bickering nonsense.

I also like the jokers that think chain tiestraps should be free, and that I should
spend and hour trying to salvage a boogered up chain.

"Well so and so does it all the time for this price...."

I say,"Well go there and get them to do it again!!!"

"Jim's Repair shop sells plugs for $1.39."

Go to JIM'S!!!!!!

Let's turn this into a Customer Bashing Thread!!!!!

Me and Tommy and others got's plenty of stories!!!!

Thanks for your "take it or leave it" dealer perspective. You must be related to the dealers in my area.

I can also fully understand how a dealer who acts inappropriately wouldn't want their name and accounting of their behaviour on a web site.

Last edited:
Lastly, if I have to "bring a full wallet," which I understand to mean pay more than I need to, I won't be visiting you either, nor will I recommend anyone do the same.;)

Tim

Do yourself a big favor and never visit TW Perry in Leesburg, VA.:laugh: You won't find a better Stihl dealer in the USA though. On the other hand, I bet Tommy could tell us some good stories about a visit from Tim.:hmm3grin2orange:

...no more anoying than dealers demanding DSRP.

Do you pay list price for your cars, or do you haggle? If you haggle for your cars, like nearly everyone in the US, why are saws different? On average, they have the same marketing strategy, dealer negotiation latitude, and although I don't know for certain, based on car dealer invoice prices widely available on the web, saws appear to have even more profit margin if sold at DSRP, which again is what my local dealers are demanding.

As to your second point, dealers have no right to eat better than their customers.

Look, I think I speak for more than myself when I say that customers want the dealers to make a reasonable profit. However, I don't think customers want dealers to make a killing on them. To me, that would be paying DSRP.

It would be great if Tommy, or another dealer would publish what the dealer cost is on saws, but I'm not holding my breath. I suspect that it's large enough such that a 10% discount still results in a substantial profit to the dealer.

What the dealer pays for a saw is none of your damned business. If you don't want to pay for your stuff, then don't--go find some other charity to give something to you for nothing.

I've been on both side of the counter in a number of things. Never sold saws, but dealing with the general public can wear a guy down quicker than just about anything. Attitude is everything and it takes TWO people to have a good, or bad relationship. People that are friendly, get to know their dealer and continue to do all their business there, will always get the best prices and service.

Do yourself a big favor and never visit TW Perry in Leesburg, VA.:laugh: You won't find a better Stihl dealer in the USA though. On the other hand, I bet Tommy could tell us some good stories about a visit from Tim.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm glad you bring a "full wallet" whenever you shop. Come see me. I have a bridge I'll sell you, but you'll have to pay DSRP.

I've been on both side of the counter in a number of things. Never sold saws, but dealing with the general public can wear a guy down quicker than just about anything. Attitude is everything and it takes TWO people to have a good, or bad relationship. People that are friendly, get to know their dealer and continue to do all their business there, will always get the best prices and service.

Exactly brother! Thats what i tried to explain above.

BTW to whoever bashed my walmart analogy: I don't sell ANYTHING at DSRP. I do give the price I want and don't haggle. I usually say "list price is so many dollars and I can do xx.00 so many dollars" they get the point. thats it. I would imagine that Stihls marketing strategy is "make the most dollars possible" which is also every other corperate business's strategy. :)

Markup on saws at suggested list price is not what you think.

In the bottom bracket dealers make about 16%. That doesn't include shipping or overhead. In the top bracket which is usually 500 or more saws a year dealers make about 25%. On small saws like the 170 margins are even smaller.

So lets say you go to a dealer and he makes 18% before paying his bills and you ask him to take another 10% off, and you wonder why he tells you to go pound sand.

Markup on saws at suggested list price is not what you think.

In the bottom bracket dealers make about 16%. That doesn't include shipping or overhead. In the top bracket which is usually 500 or more saws a year dealers make about 25%. On small saws like the 170 margins are even smaller.

So lets say you go to a dealer and he makes 18% before paying his bills and you ask him to take another 10% off, and you wonder why he tells you to go pound sand.

So Steal rapes it's own dealers and it's the customer's problem?Ima keep buying used and let other guys pay for that new saw smell.

So a dealer that won't sell you a ms460 at 10% off acts inappropriately?

Smaller dealer's prices are at a different level opposed to a larger dealer.

An $800 saw costs a small dealer @ 655, so a $145 markup.

A guy comes in the door wanting $80 off, so his profit is at $65, unless he
has shipping in it also.

OOOOps, now you need to go back to the guy you bought the saw from and
demand a $65 refund, or you will call him names on the internet!!!!!

Inappropriately????!!!!!!!! You have some real cahones!!

How dare a small dealer make a profit!!!!!

Originally Posted by zich6
...no more anoying than dealers demanding DSRP.

Do you pay list price for your cars, or do you haggle?

Not even remotely close in comparison! Two completely different price structures!

So a dealer that won't sell you a ms460 at 10% off acts inappropriately?

Smaller dealer's prices are at a different level opposed to a larger dealer.

An $800 saw costs a small dealer @ 655, so a $145 markup.

A guy comes in the door wanting $80 off, so his profit is at $65, unless he
has shipping in it also.

OOOOps, now you need to go back to the guy you bought the saw from and
demand a $65 refund, or you will call him names on the internet!!!!!

Inappropriately????!!!!!!!! You have some real cahones!!

How dare a small dealer make a profit!!!!!

Apparently, you have a reading comprehension issue. The inappropriate action had nothing to do with money. The inappropriate action was telling me the saw would be ordered right away, then waiting two weeks to put the order in, due to their undisclosed financial issues. Understand now, or do you still think the dealer acted appropriately?

It appears there are those who agree that they won't deal with dealers who insist on DSRP and others who will pay whatever a dealer asks. To each his own. That said, capitalism works due to competition. If all Stihl dealers insisted on DSRP, there is no capitalism and may be price fixing.

I think you guys are being a little tough on Tim. But I will say that this advice was given to me about nine months ago by several on the site. It was some of the best advice that I got on this site. Sometimes its worth a little more to get a lot more advice and service. Most posters will ask who is your best dealer in the area when giving purchase advice to someone looking for a saw that has no brand loyalty. That is why I settled on Stihl. The dealer recommended to me sold Stihl, had competitive pricing and outstanding service. You've got to keep in mind that these guys may not get you for the full price on the front end, but they will surely recover that and more on the back end when it comes to service costs. I do not do more than minor preventive maintenance to my saws so the dealer I chose was mission critical to me. Now if I can just learn to keep the Elvis Presley "All Shook Up" Lyrics out of my mind every time I leave the place .......... :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
stihl dissapointment

Had a big need for a saw this weekend so purchased ms391 on Thursday before dealer closed for holiday. Since then have spent 2 days trying to start it--I have an older stihl so know the starting routine-- this one won't fire once. The plug is wet and has looks like carbon as if been fired before. Should a brand new saw look like that? suggestions to get it to start. My plan now is to return it tomorrow and buy a husqvarna! Thanks for any suggestions

Had a big need for a saw this weekend so purchased ms391 on Thursday before dealer closed for holiday. Since then have spent 2 days trying to start it--I have an older stihl so know the starting routine-- this one won't fire once. The plug is wet and has looks like carbon as if been fired before. Should a brand new saw look like that? suggestions to get it to start. My plan now is to return it tomorrow and buy a husqvarna! Thanks for any suggestions

WELCOME!!!!!!!!

I do have to ask how old is the mix???

Sounds like it is flooded...

I would pull the plug leave the switch in the off position and pull it over a few times to blow out any fuel...

Then let it set for a while to dry...

When you put the plug back in and get ready to start it, when it is on full choke listen carefully for that first "pop"..It is easy to miss on some of the newer saws.... If you miss it and continue to pull it over it will flood bad......

Good luck.....

What the dealer pays for a saw is none of your damned business. If you don't want to pay for your stuff, then don't--go find some other charity to give something to you for nothing.

I agree a little profit makes the world go around. An example is Alot of things in walmart are at a 200 to 300 percent markup. You dont like the price dont buy it. When you buy a piece of equipment like a saw. There is some service. I have matured and pay what they are asking for the unit. In return I get great service and advise. I had 2 saws with torn intake boots both repaired under warranty when the saws were 3 years old. I wouldnt trade that for the world, I buy all my stuff from them and they help me with any issues. They are always 2 weeks out for service. Except for good customers. Then its a few days. Small things are done on the spot, Most of the time for free. I am in the car business. When someone leaves a little meat on the bone I take care of them. If you are going to beat me up on the price. You need to read your warranty or lack of a warranty cause that is what you get. When your battery dies in 60 days and you call and complain. I have great pleasure in asking if the AS or the IS was hard for YOU to understand.

Bottom line is this. You have the money spend it how you wish. The dealers are in business to pay their bills and make some profit so they set the prices. Most good dealers need charge retail. They do alot of little things that never get paid for. Have some experiences with some bad dealers. Then paying retail from a good one is the least of your problems. To Tommy if I was in VA you would be my dealer. To the OP The price is a small part of the package. The Service after is Huge.

The dealer usually runs the saw right after you purchase it, but it should have no carbon on the plug. Wet plug usually means it's flooded. Good move on the Husqvarna. :D

I think you guys are being a little tough on Tim.

Maybe but he is digging deeper. I can understand the OPs first problem, not getting his saw when the dealer said he would. I'd be peed too. Good thing about Stihl is there are dealers everywhere. Call the "bad" dealers rep and let them know the problem. Problems can't be solved if not known.

His haggling is where the fun starts. I haggle rarely, mostly on trades, used stuff or CL type deals. For some it is common practice. You see the msrp and you ask politely if they can do any better. Somtimes it works, some not. First time customers usually don't get any help but what they make is a relationship for future help/purchases. For the OP to beat up the dealer for not budging on his set prices is being a **********. Don't like his prices, go to another shop or try another brand. Don't whine and moan, move on. If he would have taken the advice given, Tommy would have hooked him up.

I hope I don't get in trouble with Darin/mods. The offending dealer was N&S Rentals in Germantown. I purchased from Frederick Kubata, Frederick, Md.

This is what is inappropriate, and against forum rules......

My reading and comprehension is pretty good.

The first dealer somehow hosed you, and the second dealer told you to "Pound sand".....

You are also mad at Stihl for not having more sway over their dealers, so they
can lean on them and make them sell a saw at 10% discount to you...
So you are mad at all of them, and all of these replies later, you are still
churning up the muck so you can fight with all of those that don't agree with you.

For the OP to beat up the dealer for not budging on his set prices is being a **********.

I beat no dealer up for not haggling and mentioned no names of those who don't.

Look, I'm not saying a dealer has to haggle. If his price is reasonably below DSRP, I could care less if he haggles, or not. My issue is not with haggling, it's with paying DSRP (list price) for a saw. I think if the members were honest, the majority would admit they paid less too.

I fully understand that the quality of service a dealer provides is key and should be factored into the buying decision. That said, what part of "Yeah, we charge DSRP, take it or leave it," makes you feel comfortable that you'll be treated fairly down the road with service?

If you noticed, Tommy didn't say he insisted on DSRP for saws. In fact, I have it on good authority that he doesn't. If I'd have known about Tommy before I purchased, I would have probably paid his price because of the good service he is reported to provide.

Last edited:
This is what is inappropriate, and against forum rules......

My reading and comprehension is pretty good.

The first dealer somehow hosed you, and the second dealer told you to "Pound sand".....

You are also mad at Stihl for not having more sway over their dealers, so they
can lean on them and make them sell a saw at 10% discount to you...
So you are mad at all of them, and all of these replies later, you are still
churning up the muck so you can fight with all of those that don't agree with you.

Apparently, you misunderstood my first post again. I said that the dealer told the dist. rep to "essentially, pound sand," (I have no idea what he really told him except he didn't do what the rep requested) not me. If you are going to put forth your position coherently, you ready should get your facts straight.

Here is the rule you are probably referring to:
"7. You are not permitted to list names, phone numbers, addresses, e-mail addresses, fax numbers, post office box numbers, etc…. of any others except your own...."

That is extremely broad as you should realize and has been violated on this site countless times, including by several others and you in this thread. You mentioned another member of this forum in your post 59. That's technically a violation of rule 7, as written. Since I've seen a number of "others" mentioned on this site, I wasn't sure about the interpretation of this policy. I will say that even though another, well respected dealer asked me for this dealer's name, I have deleted it from my earlier post.

Look, you are very supportive of the dealer perspective and may be one yourself. That's your right. I enjoy conversing via posts with others such as yourself who have information and advice to share on this forum, as long as it's done respectfully. That doesn't mean I have to agree with you, or you with me, nor does it mean I'm "churning up the muck so can fight with all of those that don't agree with [me]" when I put forth my opinion.

Further, I never said I was mad at Stihl. I said I was "underwhelmed" (unimpressed) with their ability to influence a dealer. In fact, I'm not mad at anyone, including the dealer that stiffed me. I feel for them if they're having financial issues, but that doesn't mean I should allow them to treat me inappropriately.

Again, I think most people have an issue with paying DSRP list prices and I don't think most Stihl dealers insist on them for higher end saws like the 460. However, if a dealer wants to, that's his right. I just don't think it's wise in the short or long run because it shows unreasonableness in my humble opinion and I'm entitled to that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back