Finally! SNOW!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wat648

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, according to the "experts" we will be seeing about 11 to 14 inches of snow by Thursday here in the heart of Kansas! We are about 20 inches below normal for moisture, so this is sure going to help. I know some of you guys have had enough snow for the year, but this is the biggest snow in years around here and I welcome it. Sounds like Thursday will be a vacation day to play with the kiddos in the snow, sledding and building snow forts. Can't wait! Seems like weather like this is the only thing that slows me down enough to go out and have some fun. Hope everyone stays safe and can get out and enjoy it.

They're telling us 5 to 10 inches Thursday into Friday... bringing with it enough wind to make blizzard conditions possible. Even though it's only classified as a "Winter Storm Watch" at this point, I understand there's already been some event cancellations in Des Moines. But that ain't the storm everyone is worried about 'round here... supposedly there's another one right behind it due to arrive Monday(ish). And, again supposedly, it has the possibility of stalling-out over us, really dumping the white stuff... but ain't any "experts" pulling numbers out of their arses yet. So far this year, the "experts" are 0-for-three on getting the "big" snow prediction correct (for us)... maybe they're due to get one right. They've got a good chance at getting it right this time... at least going on history... traditionally our biggest winter storms have come during the last week of February and first week of March. It was the end of February a few years ago that brought us the "big" ice storm, taking thousands of miles of power lines down; those ten days out here without electricity taught me a good lesson (you couldn't find a generator within a 1000 miles). My little 115v 800 watt generator couldn't even run the well pump because it runs on 230v (and you couldn't get to a gas station for two days anyway)... but I made a purchase shortly after, I'll never be caught unprepared again. If we lost power for ten days out here now... we'd barely even notice.

So far this year, the "experts" are 0-for-three on getting the "big" snow prediction correct (for us)... maybe they're due to get one right. They've got a good chance at getting it right this time... at least going on history...

Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while! :msp_smile:

Im still waiting for a big blizzard in south nj. Im sick of these little 1 to 2 every other week. I want a good 12 to 18 inches of snow. Its nice when that happens only big lifted 4x4 trucks on the roads.:msp_thumbup:

Carefull what you ask for... I have a big 1 ton with a plow and its only been a couple of weeks since being stuck in the middle of the rd, cause the plow doesn't raise higher than 30 inches.

the "big" ice storm, taking thousands of miles of power lines down; those ten days out here without electricity taught me a good lesson (you couldn't find a generator within a 1000 miles). My little 115v 800 watt generator couldn't even run the well pump because it runs on 230v (and you couldn't get to a gas station for two days anyway)... but I made a purchase shortly after, I'll never be caught unprepared again. If we lost power for ten days out here now... we'd barely even notice.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Different time, different state, 2 weeks with no volts and a fuel oil furnace for heat. It's amazing what you can run off a 1500 watt generator if you play your cards right. Kept the house warm, the fridge cold, and the freezer frozen. The local fuel stop was using their generator to run the gas pumps. That was a lifesaver.

Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while! :msp_smile:

It's all done using "computer models". I'm not sure anyone actually "predicts" the weather any more, well, except for The Farmer's Almanac.

"They" are already backing off on their predictions for this one... not as much snow or wind, but still calling it a "dangerous" storm. And "they" are starting to down-play the storm coming in around Monday/Tuesday also. I'm just going on recent history, but when "they" predict less we get more, and when "they" predict more we get less... so who the heck knows what we're in for?

A few years ago the local TV station had a weather guy who would give you the prediction based on the "model", and then he'd give you the one based on his "gut feeling". Nine-times-out-of-ten his "gut" was more accurate than the "model"... some big city station (out west I believe) hired him away, and people 'round here still lament his loss from time-to-time.

Anyway... now (according to "they") we're lookin' at 4 to 6 inches and 20 MPH winds for this one... pretty much your run-of-the-mill winter weather... and "we're keeping an eye on" the possibilities for next week. :msp_rolleyes:

I am in on the line between 10-15 inches and 6-10 inches...on one station, in the 10-15 on another . 4 different stations and 4 different predictions, typical. The more snow I get means the less sleet I get. They're getting thunder snow around the area now.

Only suppose to get 2-4 here, but changing to rain.

The ground is frozen good. I've driven through a few and the wind can blow you off the road!

Nothing like a quarter inch of rain polished ice eh?

y'all be careful out there.

In the Leavenworth area we've turned all white, couple of thunder claps as well. Work was cancelled, so I'm sitting in front of the woodstove, coffee and AS without a guilt of having to get things done.

U guys are lucky, it's gonna all melt in a few days eh?

We haven't had a good one since '78

Funny how that works sometimes.
Seems often a fella' needs to qualify for the t-shirt before he learns the lesson... human nature I guess.

I bought a 10KW Generac before the following winter. Wired up to the house and all. Never fired it up after that except for the occasional test run. :msp_mad:
I sold it with the house when I moved. I've got a 2500 watt inverter, but that thing needs 200 amps or so at 13.6 volts to produce that 2500 watts. I don't think the alternator on the Ford is up to the task. :msp_mellow:

Latest posts

Back