firewood saws 346XP NE VS 359 vs 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question for you SawTroll, if the 346 "handles" so much better than the 5100, and I believe it does because of the inboard clutch. Does it then follow that a 262xp should "handle" so much better than a 361?
I know you have pointed out the advantages of an inboard clutch on the 361 but you tend to ignore this design advantage when it comes to the 5100.
I tend to like my clutches to the outside but realize the pros and cons of each design.

Exactly, that is why the way better handling and trigger response of the Husky makes the exact cutting speed a mute point - the Dolmar lost before the cut started! :popcorn::givebeer:

Dayummm what slick choice of words there ole boy. I couldn't help but notice it because thats exactly what happened here in ole Virginy. I got the 5100 first, thought wow, this is one bad little MOFO. I was impressed to say the least. Later on I got a NE346xp. Once again I was like dayummm this thing is explosive off the trigger.

I played with both in the block and found the 5100 was a tad faster, around a second. I made many cuts and it stayed that way. I finally tookem both to the woods and did some limbing with them and found that mere second meant little to nothing, explosive trigger responce and ease of handling of the 346 has pretty well retired the 5100 to the shelf. The 346 eats it alive for what its intended to be used for, limbing. Neither are blocking saws, they're limb saws, both of them. Judging a limb saw by how fast it cuts in the block is like judging 660's and 395's on how fast they limb, its silly. There's a big differance in limb speed and block speed. The saw has to handle well to make time in the limbs and the 346 does that, the 5100 does not.

Dolmar did a great job of getting every ounce of power they could out of the 5100 and they offered it at a great low price, mainly because they have no choice in the matter on price. They failed at making it slim, trim, light and easy to handle. Husky on the other hand built the whole package. Slim, trim, light, super handling, expolsive throttle repsonce, all the things that make a limb saw a great limb saw.

This war of bragging rights on which saw is the fastest in the block is all good natured fun I assume, a sport of sort and thats all fine and well. However it means little as to which saw is the better of the two for what its intended purpose is. I've hadem both in my hands enough to know full well down at the end of the tree where the limbs are thick its not even a good contest, I like both saws but in the limbs where it counts the 346 kills the 5100 with ease.

Last edited:
Dayummm what slick choice of words there ole boy. I couldn't help but notice it because thats exactly what happened here in ole Virginy. I got the 5100 first, thought wow, this is one bad little MOFO. I was impressed to say the least. Later on I got a NE346xp. Once again I was like dayummm this thing is explosive off the trigger.

I played with both in the block and found the 5100 was a tad faster, around a second. I made many cuts and it stayed that way. I finally tookem both to the woods and did some limbing with them and found that mere second meant little to nothing, explosive trigger responce and ease of handling of the 346 has pretty well retired the 5100 to the shelf. The 346 eats it alive for what its intended to be used for, limbing. Neither are blocking saws, they're limb saws, both of them. Judging a limb saw by how fast it cuts in the block is like judging 660's and 395's on how fast they limb, its silly. There's a big differance in limb speed and block speed. The saw has to handle well to make time in the limbs and the 346 does that, the 5100 does not.

Dolmar did a great job of getting every ounce of power they could out of the 5100 and they offered it at a great low price, mainly because they have no choice in the matter on price. They failed at making it slim, trim, light and easy to handle. Husky on the other hand built the whole package. Slim, trim, light, super handling, expolsive throttle repsonce, all the things that make a limb saw a great limb saw.

This war of bragging rights on which saw is the fastest in the block is all good natured fun I assume, a sport of sort and thats all fine and well. However it means little as to which saw is the better of the two for what its intended purpose is. I've hadem both in my hands enough to know full well down at the end of the tree where the limbs are thick its not even a good contest, I like both saws but in the limbs where it counts the 346 kills the 5100 with ease.

:agree2: Is'nt that what husky intended the 346 to be a saw for work were lots of limbing is involved. I know that's what I bought mine for. :cheers:

:agree2: Is'nt that what husky intended the 346 to be a saw for work were lots of limbing is involved. I know that's what I bought mine for. :cheers:

I think that was they're intent and they did a good job. That saw is like swinging a butcher knife through limbs. I'm a Stihl man so I got no horse in the race with the 5100 and 346. My arms and legs tell me which is the better one in the limbs very easy...

I think that was they're intent and they did a good job. That saw is like swinging a butcher knife through limbs. I'm a Stihl man so I got no horse in the race with the 5100 and 346. My arms and legs tell me which is the better one in the limbs very easy...
Most of my fire wood gets cut with a 50cc saw. The 5100 feels a little pudgy compared with the 026 but it does have more nads so its a pretty decent trade off. I can load up my short bed and never stop for fuel using it and my little 40cc deere. After thats done its time to come in here and swap a few lies wit my fellow saw junkies.

Say amen!!!

The 346 eats it alive for what its intended to be used for, limbing. Neither are blocking saws, they're limb saws, both of them. Judging a limb saw by how fast it cuts in the block is like judging 660's and 395's on how fast they limb, its silly. There's a big differance in limb speed and block speed. The saw has to handle well to make time in the limbs and the 346 does that, the 5100 does not.

Great Post THALL! +1 Rep your way.

Al :cheers:

Last edited:
Alls I'm saying is give Frank a ton of credit. That saw in someone else's hands and those other saws win. Aside from that, give Frank a powerful saw and watch the magic happen. It so happened to be a 5100 in his manos with the smallest volume, and the smallest ports, but with the biggest sack:greenchainsaw:

I like using mine in the bush. Super fast throttle response, and the symphony this saw makes overtakes the weight by a ton (no pun intended...OOOOOOOOOOH!)

Don't get me wrong. I love saws. I'm on the hunt for a 372/460 (whichever gets to me hands first) for a Super Chevy Show.

At the GTG like Granpatrac mentioned, run GLX chains (or whatever equivalent)like I do in all me vids to show what the rest of us 95% cut with. Oh yeah, make sure to make two cants. Softwood and Hardwood and make them 10x10, 8x8, 6x6 and the last game, cut the biggest Oak. Bury the bars.

18" 3/8 GLX fresh novice file. BTW, it's back to stock compression for a work saw:)

Would this sized wood be considered limbing?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWR7td6IdUE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWR7td6IdUE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yip

That's what I was saying also Tommy... The only advantage of the 5100 is you don't have to swap saws when you do get to the bigger 16-18" blocks down at the butt... I didn't like how the 346 bogged in the bigger ends of the log, but I'm harder on leaning on a saw too... I know down where your at your cutting bigger logs than up here, or I should say closer to what they'd cut out west on account of you have the nicer weather longer... Up here, the best firewood comes from 20" and below trees. The big 4'ers are just fun to cut. Alot easier to take a 18" tree down and only have to split each block 2 or 3x's vs 10 or 12 whacks with those great big logs. Least it is up here anyways... I thought when I ran the little 346 it was quicker off the trigger and as Troll would say, "more nimble" But when your cutting hardwoods, there ain't alot of branches anyways. Trim a bit and buck the small logs. Mostly like the size of what I was cutting in the video.

:cheers: eh?

Latest posts

Back