firewood saws 346XP NE VS 359 vs 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never ran a 5100 but before I had my 359 ported it was muffler modded and pulled a 20" bar with no problem.I have a NE346XP but got it ported before I cut any wood with it but ported its a beast.Don't know how much wood the 359 will see now.I vote a 359 with muller mod.

Woodyman you and I are in the same boat.

Anymore I don't even acknowledge I have ported saws. The few people that have seen my saws run know they run in unreal fashion, and some fella from up north off the internet does all my work...
Nuff said...I smile

I've been running a 346 for about four years now and have no complaints. Actually the longer I run it the more impressed I am with it. It's just the right saw for me. I use a 365 special for the big stuff, but find myself using the 346 more and more. It's light and smooth and runs along time on a tank of gas. To me it's the new improved version of my stihl 028 av super. If I ever wear this saw out it will be replaced with the NE version which they say is even better.

its a toss up.

i like my 026 very much. i might like my 359 as much i like my 034 alot but the 026 gets used the most. of these 3

none of mine are stock. well i guess the 034 super is but i havent used it yet likly will end up tradeing or selling it for something and hang on to the 359 well maybe sell it to.

i have bigers saws and dont need a 60cc lineup

but the id like to try the 346 rocket some day.

I dont need anything bigger than the 16" - 18" bar as most wood I cut can be done so easily with 16" bar.

I have used both the 346XP and the 5100. My dad has a 346 which I have used a bunch, and just last year I purchased a Dolmar 5100.

I enjoy using the 5100 over the 346 by far. Cuts faster, doesn't bolg down as much, can cut harder wood a lot easier.

I don't know about the other saw, but between the 346 & 5100 Get the 5100... I like mine anyway.

Last edited:
I have used both the 346XP and the 5100. My dad has a 346 which I have used a bunch, and just last year I purchased a Dolmar 5100.

I enjoy using the 5100 over the 346 by far. Cuts faster, doesn't bolg down as much, can cut harder wood a lot easier.

I don't know about the other saw, but between the 346 & 5100 Get the 5100... I like mine anyway.

Cat muffler on the 346?

Not sure what a Cat muffler is, but if it means it's all stock, then yes... the saw is all stock, same as the 5100s.

Some have a muffler with a catalytic converter in the muffler. If the one you ran does, then it's not a fair comparison IMHO. It's choked up by the EPA and not was the saw should be producing power wise.

I'm really not sure, I'll have to check. If so is there a aftermarket muffler one could put on the saw? Will the carb have to be adjusted (new jets)? or just leaned or richened?

Thanks
Dave

Some have a muffler with a catalytic converter in the muffler. If the one you ran does, then it's not a fair comparison IMHO. It's choked up by the EPA and not was the saw should be producing power wise.

attachment.php

The latest PS5100's are coming through with Catalytic Converter's installed. Gonna need to compare the 5100 Cat vs 346NE/2153 Cat.

Latest posts

Back