firewood saws 346XP NE VS 359 vs 5100S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it.

Exactly. A myth the naysayers continue to perpetuate, even in the face of documented proof otherwise.:bang:

The video of the 5100 in the maple earlier in the thread sure was more impressive than the 346 in the ash and his is stock it sounds like. JMO:monkey:

Why don't you ask Thall.He seems to know his way around chainsaws.
He owns both and doesn't seem to be an unabashed cheerleader of either.

As I recall he preferred using the 346 for trimming due to easier handling.
but mentioned that no way no how could it keep up with the 5100 bucking larger logs. I guess it's possible the 346 was out chained again.
Hey Tom do I have that right.Ron

I'm an unbiased user myself. I own saws of many different brands. Matter of fact, I only own two Huskies, the 346 one of them. We did testing, the test showed what was found in my posts above. It's all the naysayers that seem to have biased opinions. If you disagree, then get your own two saws, do the testing, and then we'll talk. Otherwise, it's pointless mythology.

I'm an unbiased user myself. I own saws of many different brands. Matter of fact, I only own two Huskies, the 346 one of them. We did testing, the test showed what was found in my posts above. It's all the naysayers that seem to have biased opinions. If you disagree, then get your own two saws, do the testing, and then we'll talk. Otherwise, it's pointless mythology.

Lets just say I trust the judgment of Thall over anyone else who has posted in this thread.Ron

Lets just say I trust the judgment of Thall over anyone else who has posted in this thread.Ron

I'll buy it when I see vids of both saws in the same wood with the same B&C. Must be non-cat mufflers on both. Yeah,

I may sound a little abrassive here. But I get tired of all the talk and not the walk. We tested them and showed the results. Do your own tests if you question our results. Anything less is cheap talk that continues to perpetuate a myth. That's all.

Last edited:
Cuts

Everybody cuts a unique way. I dawg in alot, some cut like the ash video. For each person they'll have their own preferences. Neither video, I'm sure, was to say a saw is truly superior to another, at least I don't think. I cut like that video I made all day long. Dawg and lean. Others cut like the Ash video, they merely let the saw do the work, which is alot less work for the operator and the saw. The 346 is a FINE saw. Built very similar, and if I were limbing alot more I'd prefer the 346 to be honest. It's snappier, revs quicker and higher for smaller faster cuts, IMO, and only IMO. I've said it a bunch, I've got all makes and models of saws from everyone, Stihl, husky, dolmar, old homelites, you name it. Each have/had their purpose, each does something differently. I'd say run them each, make your decision from there with whats the most comfortable for you. Sadly you can't just take a saw for the weekend to cut wood before you buy it. Something I think ALL dealers should have like Scotty and Steve. They got a 40 cord wood pile of logs and they say, " go to it, let us know what ya think..." That's the only way you'll know. Everything else in this means nothing. Try them, buy what you think will last the longest and from the friendliest dealer that runs over and asks you if he can help you with anything. Not from the place you have to walk up to the counter to talk to someone... Chances are you'll be trying to get them to help you after you buy it. Just my .02

:cheers:

All statements made above are solely based upon my opinion. No distribution or reproduction shall be made without consent...

:jester:

Everybody cuts a unique way. I dawg in alot, some cut like the ash video. For each person they'll have their own preferences. Neither video, I'm sure, was to say a saw is truly superior to another, at least I don't think. I cut like that video I made all day long. Dawg and lean. Others cut like the Ash video, they merely let the saw do the work, which is alot less work for the operator and the saw. The 346 is a FINE saw. Built very similar, and if I were limbing alot more I'd prefer the 346 to be honest. It's snappier, revs quicker and higher for smaller faster cuts, IMO, and only IMO. I've said it a bunch, I've got all makes and models of saws from everyone, Stihl, husky, dolmar, old homelites, you name it. Each have/had their purpose, each does something differently. I'd say run them each, make your decision from there with whats the most comfortable for you. Sadly you can't just take a saw for the weekend to cut wood before you buy it. Something I think ALL dealers should have like Scotty and Steve. They got a 40 cord wood pile of logs and they say, " go to it, let us know what ya think..." That's the only way you'll know. Everything else in this means nothing. Try them, buy what you think will last the longest and from the friendliest dealer that runs over and asks you if he can help you with anything. Not from the place you have to walk up to the counter to talk to someone... Chances are you'll be trying to get them to help you after you buy it. Just my .02

:cheers:

All statements made above are solely based upon my opinion. No distribution or reproduction shall be made without consent...

:jester:

+100. And that was basically how we summed it up after doing the shootout. They're all great saws. I'm just after those making statements they can't back up.

All I have to say is, prove it. Talk is cheap.

Is 18" of Ash enough for you?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOy-j_rmhVY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOy-j_rmhVY&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMRPgHxaVzo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMRPgHxaVzo&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What does this prove? I see no 5100 in the same wood with the same bar and chain with it being tuned to max RPM by the same man in the same video.

My experience with owning 2 346NE and still owning a 2153 is that with the cat on my 420 will stay right with them.........With out the cat they run much better .....I cut with same bar and chain on them and my 5100 has the edge in larger wood .....I let couple arborists try them all out and it sold a few new 5100's ............................

I still like the 2153 and 5100..............

I will not test out a saw that is modded in any way against a stock saw.......5100 stock 2153 stock non cat one 346NE had cat and one 346 wo/cat......

Cat kills them............

Last edited:
My experience with owning 2 346NE and still owning a 2153 is that with the cat on my 420 will stay right with them.........With out the cat they run much better .....I cut with same bar and chain on them and my 5100 has the edge in larger wood .....I let couple arborists try them all out and it sold a few new 5100's ............................

I stihl like the 2153 and 5100..............

Fixed

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/5100.flv">

For your entertainment !!!! Enjoy.....

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid92.photobucket.com/albums/l15/THALL10326/5100.flv">

For your entertainment !!!! Enjoy.....

Thats one cutting MOFO,saw and man,haha

I have used both the 346XP and the 5100. My dad has a 346 which I have used a bunch, and just last year I purchased a Dolmar 5100.

I enjoy using the 5100 over the 346 by far. Cuts faster, doesn't bolg down as much, can cut harder wood a lot easier.

I don't know about the other saw, but between the 346 & 5100 Get the 5100... I like mine anyway.
I cut most of the 10 cord or so per year of oak and hickory with 50cc range saws.When my 026 was stolen I replaced it a 257 husky that does'nt pull a 18" 3/8 any better if as good as the 026 did. All I know for sure is the 5100 out cuts the 57cc husky I have and if the 346 is as strong, its a dam good saw in my opinion.
I'm have no brand preference FWIW.

359 well rounded

359 is my choice. I own one myself, and mainly cut firewood (hedge), and a few posts. 20" bar carlton magna chisel chain. 110 VP race fuel w/syn. husqvarna oil.

Maybe we should also factor in the reliablity issues the 5100 has. For whatever reason that model has had an inordinate number of complaints about pistons being scored. Scared me away from the 5100, not against Dolmar, I have a 7900 and like it a lot. The op was asking about a good firewood saw so who cares which saw is a few tenths of a second faster when the 5100 will spend the majority of its life in the dealers shop.

Latest posts

Back