First post, hello from a chainsaw newbie.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi folks,

First post here... I'm a total newbie. I've got a lot of questions, I'll save most of those for another thread. Weekend before last, I bought my first chainsaw.
I am a homeowner in the suburbs with a woodburning stove, although I haven't used it very consistently for the last few years. My wife's parents and her oldest brother (I think he's got an 026) - all of us homeowners - organized a woodcutting day at a mutual friend's place out in the country where there were a few downed trees to cut up. We rented a splitter and I borrowed a MS290 from my wife's other brother.

Well, on the woodcutting day, the MS290 was just not running well, it was smoking, and would die at idle, and I only made two cuts with it before it wouldn't start at all. Meanwhile, the older brother-in-law with the 026 had hit his chain on some rocks and dulled it completely. So we were stuck. I decided that I guessed I needed to buy my own saw. I ran up to the local Wal-Mart but the selection looked pretty dismal. The salesman there was a self-proclaimed chainsaw enthusiast. He recommended the Poulan synthetic 2-stroke oil and and bar lube. But when I asked him how the Wal-mart saws compared to something like a Stihl he said, "No comparison - the Stihl is much better made and will last a lot longer."

So that was enough to push me away from the $130 Poulan. I have had enough experience with cheap power tools (Ryobi, Homelite) that work OK for a couple of seasons, then they're a constant fight to get started and keep running.

I decided to do it right. Bro-in-law's wife was going to the Stihl dealer to get a new chain for her husband, so I had her buy me a saw while she was there. A phone call to the dealer recommended the MS210 for occasional homeowner use, so I got it.

Normally, I like to research any decision heavily and shop around for a good deal. Instead, I just picked up a saw without looking at it and paid full MSRP! :cry: So I certainly have a bit of buyer's remorse. Just before Bro-in-law's wife came back with the saw, a neighbor dropped by and offered the loan of his Husqvarna (!)... so I guess I didn't have to buy a saw after all. But by then it was too late, I was already commited in my mind to it, and I couldn't help but fire up and get to work with MY new saw when it arrived.

I was very pleased with the performance of the 210. I know it's a pretty weak saw, but I thought I was cutting a bit faster than the guy with the 026. (I'm thinking his 026 wasn't running 100%.) Now I've started reading the forum here, and I already want something bigger, which is pretty ridiculous. Reading here, I've found out that the MS210 is kind of a dog in the Stihl lineup, but I guess it's OK for me, for now. It's light and easy to handle and probably isn't a bad choice to learn on.

So, "hi" folks! :D

Last edited:
Ms 210

brages,

YOU made the right choice here I think. give it time, i'll grow on you.
in my opinion, I believe stihl products are the most convenient on the market.
I myself have 2 025 stihls 10 year old and stihl running strong today!
I use them for carving. great saws!

safe cutting

mike.:clap:

I was very pleased with the performance of the 210....It's light and easy to handle and probably isn't a bad choice to learn on.

There you go. Plus, you needn't worry about paying full MSRP. Very few of us ever pay less than full MSRP on a Stihl. And you'll always be able to find parts for it. So congrats!

There should be no comparison between a 210 and 260, the 260 being a larger Pro saw. Welcome to the forum.

The following factors were probably at play:
  1. His 026 seemed a little neglected and wasn't running quite right - I noticed it dying a few times at idle.
  2. He was running the 026 with the chain off of the MS290 for quite a while before he put a new one on - so his chain may have been rather dull
  3. The MS210 has Picco chain, so it cuts a little faster for a given amount of power
  4. I was excited to be using the new saw, so I probably perceived what I wanted to see. We didn't do any head-to-head or timed cutting.

I think #4 is probably the most significant factor. It's easy to fool yourself if you want to.

Last edited:
I'm happy with it... I generally have buyer's remorse tendencies. I feel like I could have got a more capable saw (MS250) for just a little more money, but at this point, I don't really have a need for anything more. I just need to get out there and use it. Maybe when I get more skill and experience, it will start to seem slow and underpowered. THEN I can start worrying about upgrading, now I just need to cut more wood. Really, the 210 is already more than I "need".

At least I didn't get a Wild Thing - yes, I was considering it (a lot of cc's for the $).

You got a good saw & the bloke at Walmart did you a good turn. Just use the saw and let "need" drive adding a larger saw. I have more saws/more HP than I "need" and could always get by with less. No need to break the bank based on the needs of others.

2Door

Observations:

I noticed that it's a lot nicer to cut with your own saw than someone else's. Like when you finally buy your first car and quit driving the family station wagon...

Also, it's a lot more fun to be the guy cutting the firewood than to be the guy carrying the firewood. (I grew up on a farm; we burned wood for heat in a Longwood furnace, and I was always picking up the logs, but I only ran a saw once or twice.)

congrats

the ms210 is an ok saw. just learn to wear PPE. as you skil builds you will want a better chain. you biggest PROBLEM is CAD. it starts with envy then one saw and then a bigger one and then all hope is lost.

:givebeer:

Congrats on the new saw. As previously stated you did fine. It is very difficult to get a new Stihl below MSRP.

The 210 is smaller and made cheaper than the pro models but it will do ya fine for what you are currently doing. Get a season or two under your belt with it and look at the chainsaw landscape. After cutting a few trees you'll have a better idea of whether you want to move up or stay where you are with chainsaws. You'll be able to get most of your money back on that Stihl or you can keep it and add to your collection.

I have fond memories of my first saw the 170. Very small, light and low power, but I certainly had a blast cutting what I could with it. Here I am now with four saws in my collection and two that have passed through my collection. Not a dog yet, but even if there were, there's always another saw to be had! :greenchainsaw:

Get your PPE, learn to sharpen and keep reading. In no time you'll probably find plenty of little opportunities to saw at neighbors and friends.

210 is a ok saw..

Welcome to the site....I'm glad to hear you gotta 210 over the walmart saw,,smart move...The 210,,I had one,,and enjoyed it,,but it is a good saw for the home owner...No,,not a pro saw,,but for on weekend cuttings,,and I loved how lite it is,,it will do good for you....You did ok,,and it was a great limbing saw for me but I wanted something with alittle more ass to it so I got the 260...Enjoy,,and just becarefull...

Welcome to the Forum! :cheers:
Glad to hear you bought a Stihl rather than some crap ten minute wonder.
If you stick around you will probably feel the "need" for larger saws even if you don't have trees worthy of their presence!
Take my Stihl 090 and Dolmar CT as an example, I don't need them, but I bought them anyway!
attachment.php

Congratulations, it's a Stihl, so you really won't go far wrong with it.

The obvious question is: what will you get next? nice big Stihl? Classic Homelite? screamin' hot Husky? CAD is coming. :D

Welcome to the Forum! :cheers:
Glad to hear you bought a Stihl rather than some crap ten minute wonder.
If you stick around you will probably feel the "need" for larger saws even if you don't have trees worthy of their presence!
Take my Stihl 090 and Dolmar CT as an example, I don't need them, but I bought them anyway!
attachment.php

Those are fine looking saws there Dibbs. But I wonder how fast they'll get through a log without a chain? :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm thinking something bigger (50cc or so, maybe more!!) and used (craigslist). Something good quality, but offbeat enough to get for a lower price... maybe a John Deere, Shindaiwa, or a Makita.

Honestly, I need to learn how to use the 210 before I buy anything else. Maybe next season or the one after that, I'll think about another one. For now, I'll probably always go out with somebody with a bigger saw anyway.

Now you see powers above made two things happen you found this forum and
you bought a saw you think maybe to small .So when you put these together
you now have a excuse to buy a bigger saw .That saw will most likely last
a life time .But in the mean time keep looking .LOL.

And i think the guy at wallyworld is a standup guy for the honesty.

new owner..RTFM

nobody likes books without pictures but there are good tips for a beginner. when you are done cutting for a while..drain the gas and run it dry. don't know how new you . I can't tell you how many "buddies" I have torn down carbs just to find a good cleaning is all they need..My first was an 025. cut 4 years with that..sold it to a co-worker and he is still using it 5 years later. Good luck cold weather is coming

Brages,
As you look for your next slightly larger saw and want to get a good one for decent money- consider some models that have been around for awhile and are somewhat "classic". Personally, I am looking for really nice Dolmar 112 or 116 right now. Price is not high, quality IS high and reputation for longevity is there. May not outproduce the curent speed demons but cutting can be pleasurable as well as profitable.

2Door

Back