First time haulin' in the pickup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go down south, find ya a nice clean '78-'79 F150 :D

I've owned or driven a bunch so it's hard to remember exact details, but...
The best truck I ever had was 1976 or 1977 (??) F250 4x4... that thing was a friggin' tank!
If I remember correctly it had the 360/390 class V8 in it (that might make it a '76, don't remember for sure?) with a Motorcraft 4-BBL carb... and it sucked gas like a tank!

A neighbor farmer I worked for back in high school had a mid '70s F250 "high boy" with a 360 or 390, (don't remember which) & a 4 spd. It was set up as a spray truck, that thing would almost climb a tree! 'Course, it did have bias ply digger tires on it... and here I thought it was just a bad-to-the-bone-truck all these years! :laugh:

Last edited:
my poser shot, and i thought my bed was rusted out! i plan on fighting the cancer bug this spring by pulling the bed sandblasting the frame and more, then welding in new patch panals.

i have already replaced both tanks from rust holes.

as far as the hitch i know it was not set up right but it was not my camper, i have a regular reciever in the back but the little 18 ft camper did not sit high enough for the truck. the whole camper was pointed upward in the front a few degrees. i was not investing in a new drop hitch for borrowing it once.

my tires are a bit oversized, i like the look but i did not pick them out. i traded my stock steel rims and stock tires for these alloy wheels with tires a few years back. the next tires i get will be a little smaller and narrow to cut through more. even with my front solid axle and diesel i can spin in the yard in 4x4 with these tires floating on top of stuff if its a little wet out.

my poser shot, and i thought my bed was rusted out!

attachment.php

Man, those running board things you have on there wouldn't last a week for me... they'd get hooked on something, ripped off, run over, and shreaded the first time I was off the road.

That old '76-'77 F250 of mine had bias ply traction-lug tires on it (I think that was standard equipment on HD 4x4's at the time).
It also had a locking front axle... and it would climb a tree!

and you probably personally verified this, huh?! :laugh:

i was going to pull them off the when i first got the truck, i am actaully not a huge fan of them, they have slid over a decent amount of things and have been repainted several times. it was when i saw my then 18 month old be able to climb in the truck himself that i let them stay. he is now 7 and i got a 3 yr and 2 month old so i think they will stay a while longer yet if i can keep them from rusting out.

Funny story about running boards (well… it’s funny now)…

Back in 2001-’02 I traded a 1988 Bronco for the current pickup… It had running boards on it, and OE type tires mounted to the OE polished aluminum wheels. I was gonna’ take the running boards off the day I drove it home, but the wife wanted me to leave them on because it was easier for her to climb in and out. Man… we argued about those boards for two days, and I kept telling her they were a mistake.

Anyway, we’d had the truck about a week when I stuck the little tractor pulling a load of fire pit wood out’a the woodlot. I walked up to the house, grabbed the recovery strap and told the wife to drive the pickup down to the south end and pull me out. She hooked the passenger-side running board on a stump, tore it off the truck, ran over it with the spinning right rear, destroying both the tire and wheel!

Well… that pretty much ended the argument over running boards!
All I could do was shake my head... weren’t no sense in saying, “I told ya’ so”… the look on her face was enough.

Last edited:
Spidey, I'll agree on one thing with ya, heck, maybe 2, I'm feeling generous today:

All Terrain tires, ain't all terrain. Most of em are fair to horsepoop off road, but as long as Joe Big City sees "All Terrain" in white letters on the side, he knows he's got an off road machine. Mud tires are much better in most situations (ice being the exception, needs more biting edges to work well on ice), but yuppies don't like the tire noise that comes with em. Too hard to hear the cheesy cat-back dual exhaust (that will rot off in 5 years) over the tire howl going down the road.

#2 - salt sucks. (Sadly, the newer trucks neither of us really care for are doing a lot better job at holding up to it than the classics ever did)

Mud tires are much better in most situations (ice being the exception... )...

Many times I've thought how cool it would be to have a button on my dash... push it and the steel studs extend from the tires, push it again and they retract back into the tires. Now that there would be a worthwhile gadget I'd be more than willing to pay for!

Only the mail lady can get away with studs up here any more. Been a long time since I've seen a studded tire around here. I do have a set of chains that'll fit the Chevy, just for insurance. Only put em on once, just for a test fit. Better to have em and not need em than to need em and not have em I say.

Still legal in Ohio, Nov 1 - Apr 15. A few people run 'em around here, not much need anymore, not really. Just south of the snow belt here, so winter is not so scary...
Surprised they are illegal for the average Joe in WI!
Edit: Studs, that is...

Last edited:
Many times I've thought how cool it would be to have a button on my dash... push it and the steel studs extend from the tires, push it again and they retract back into the tires. Now that there would be a worthwhile gadget I'd be more than willing to pay for!

Might hafta grab yur wallet spidey... do an online search for "retractable stud tires"

I'd post a link but someone threatened to wack my winky with a strip of studded tire tread :msp_scared: the last time I posted a non sponsor link!

Naw… I don’t think those tires ever materialized… but I remember the hoopla over them.

Around 2007 there was a company developing an extendable/retractable stud tire using a secondary air chamber. Really… I’m not kidding… just push the button I was talking about. One problem (as I remember) was it used the air already in the tire to expand the secondary chamber and extend the studs, but retracting them required expelling the air… which left the tire low on air pressure. The name of the company was Q Tire, and they were promising the product by late 2008 – early 2009… then the website, and the company, just disappeared from the face of the earth. I never did hear if any of those tires actually hit the roadways or not…

Studs are still legal here in Iowa from November 1 to April 1.
Interestingly, both Minnesota and Wisconsin have outlawed them (except for certain government and emergency vehicles). Although both states allow non-residents to leave them on if just passing through… i.e., I don’t have to take them off when I drive up to the Mayo Clinic or Cabelas shopping. Minnesota and Wisconsin are notorious for “black ice” on their roadways, yet they choose to hamstring their residents???

Just made a trade to get a new fire wood truck

View attachment 285793

1985 Ford F 250 with a 460

Former sprint car owners truck used to tow his sprint car to the track (5 miles back and forth)

2 cords of wood and a Earthquake chain saw :msp_smile:

There ya go! Sounds like a good score. I love Ash. I always roam around looking for downed Ash trees!

This whole thread is bull####, I wanna see a bumper draggin with a truck load of wood :D

I think everyone in the state of vt runs studded tires. I have chains for my one ton, skidsteer,bucket truck,and mule. Come in handy. Its only a load if its over the cab!

Spidey - what ya got for tires on that thing. I'm looking for a new set, and the Wild Country MTs I always liked are NLA...

OK, since your stuck on radial off-road tires :msp_tongue:
It seems I remember from somewhere that Wild Country tires were made by Cooper Tire Company... or at least they were at one time. Personally I like Cooper tires, they hold up the best of any (on average) running our crushed limestone roads. I checked out the Cooper website and found their newest M/T (?) tire, the Discoverer STT... and I was less than impressed...

CooperTiresConsumer - Discoverer STT<span class='trademark'>™</span>
attachment.php

Then I also remembered that Cooper also markets tires under the Mastercraft name.
I checked out the latest Mastercraft M/T tire, the Courser M/T... I like the looks of it better.
Maybe this one can replace your beloved :hmm3grin2orange: Wild Country M/T. Anyway, just a thought...

CooperMastercraft - Courser MT
attachment.php

That’s because you’re running the wrong tire.

That’s because you’re running the wrong tire… and trying to do more with them than they are designed to do.

Radial All-Terrain (A/T) tires are not Off-Road tires; they are street tires with a little extra tread in case there’s some snow on the road or you need to drive across wet grass. Bias Ply Traction-Lug tires get all their traction from the side lugs, the center tread does virtually nothing (except on pavement). The lugs are self cleaning… as the tire comes in contact with ground any mud/snow in them is forced out the side so the lugs are always and constantly pulling against new earth/snow. (There are some Traction-Lug radials, but they don’t work the same because of the radial sidewall “bulge”).

Radial All-Terrain (A/T) tires ride up on top of “stuff” and the treads load up, that’s why you have trouble backing up, why you spin the wheels, and why you use momentum to compensate for lack of traction. “Momentum” is not your friend running Bias Ply Traction-Lug tires, they are narrow and have stiff sidewalls, they do not ride up on top of “stuff”… they cut in and pull. Spinning the wheels is the one thing you absolutely do not want to do running Bias Ply Traction-Lug tires… they’ll dig a hole to China faster than you can blink. A slow and easy slip will sometimes be the ticket… but if you put your foot-in-it, you’ll be buried to your door handles in two seconds.

I stopped running Radial All-Terrain (A/T) tires and switched to Bias Ply Traction-Lug for 8-9 months of the year because of all the things you are saying!. Since then, the only time I’ve had a “tow rope hooked to me” is when I’m pulling some else out!

So every time you gotten stuck, its been because of radial tires?

I don't doubt the traction lugs are better than AT tires, two different uses.

Will a radial tire, same size, same tread pattern, same inflation pressure on the same vehicle, be significantly handicapped against a bias ply tire?

I could be wrong. I have NOT ran a bias ply tire, but most of the times I've been stuck its because a bad decision on my part.

Other times because of pride.... :msp_tongue:

I would say that I might try some bias plys on the Ranger next time, but I don't know that the frame will outlast the AT's that's on it now...

Will say momentum is also key for hill climbing. Even just a slip can be disastrous.

Speaking of, how about rock climbing? Would the softness of a radial be better than stiffness of a bias ply?

As for the backing in the snow, I have backed downhill in the snow and never slipped a tire. The tires would NOT stay in the tracks I had made going up the hill, they dug themselves out of the ruts and into the deep stuff.

That wasn't a factor of the tire, but of the weight distribution of the pickup.

Same thing can happen going forward too. I was out a couple weekends ago in some snow and following along in the tracks that others had made. Unfortunately, they had been made with full size pickups and were wider than the Ranger. I was all over the freaking road, even though the pavement was showing through the tracks, just couldn't stay in them.

Was fun indeed, but it was in a remote area, and I didn't want to get stuck, so I found a place where the sun had melted the snow enough for me to turn around. In my younger years, I wouldn't have done that. Made a good decision that time and avoided getting stuck.

As said, I would run bias ply tires if it is a significant improvement over the same radial tire. But is it really THAT much different?

The AT's above do a pretty good job for what they are. Seem to be a good alternative to a full on mud tire. They ride pretty well on the hardtop and do well off-road and in the snow. They aren't mud tires though, and as with any tire, do have their limitations.

The best things one can have when off-roading or in snow isn't tires, but chains, and a strong winch....

A chainsaw can help too with a well placed log in a mudhole, or for building a big fire for your night stay in the woods.. :laugh:

I will say it is pouring the snow as I type.... I like snow. :)

Latest posts

Back