First time haulin' in the pickup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a tailgate is your first problem.

Blazin, how's this for ya, sorry the bumper ain't draggin, it's a Chev after all, complete with radials:

125169d1266109149-good-load-back-jpg

:rock:

P6240006.jpg

Radials...for when you're serious about hauling wood.

Bob - they didn't take that thing OFF ROAD to get that wood, did they? How many dozers did it take to get them back on the road? Do dozers run bias or radial tracks?

I better quit - I'll wind up having to ban myself.

Bob - they didn't take that thing OFF ROAD to get that wood, did they? How many dozers did it take to get them back on the road? Do dozers run bias or radial tracks?

I better quit - I'll wind up having to ban myself.

Define "off road"....:msp_rolleyes: There was about twenty miles of unpaved logging road, some 15% grades, some "get it right the first time or else" switchbacks....but other than that it wasn't bad at all.

No dozers...we save those for the bad roads.

And back to radials...the drive tires and the trailer tires are all recaps. Some of them have been capped several times. Does that answer how well radial sidewalls hold up to severe conditions?

Also, that load of cedar was just a little overweight. Just a little.

Last edited:
WOW!
Lookin' at all these pictures of radial tires and I'm thinkin' I see pattern...
So I go check out some pages on the "Wood Hauler picture Thread" to confirm...
Why is it all these radials workin' in mud or snow have their tread partially, or fully, loaded up?
And just how does that help with traction?
attachment.php

This one here is classic... don't ya think?

attachment.php

Ya know what?? All the bias ply tires I see workin' in mud or snow look like this...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yup... pretty sure I'm seein' a definite pattern...

whitespider said:
Ya know what?? All the bias ply tires I see workin' in mud or snow look like this...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yup... pretty sure I'm seein' a definite pattern...

So am I, neither of the two duallys you posted pics of have moved recently. Go take the Ford for a lap around the yard, park it, and take a pic.

The 70s called. They want you back.

Been a while, Spidey must be stuck in the yard. Hope he gets out before I get home from work tonight.

:laugh:

Throw my 2 cents in, just reading thru the article posted re difference in tires, sounds like the only category the bias tires have an advantage is in severe off road conditions. Comparison part of article below.

The shock absorbing flexible sidewall of the radial allows the tire to conform to irregularities, important for off-roading. Combined with the flat tread area, radials have excellent traction. They also respond to airing down very well. The stiffer construction of bias ply and belted bias ply tires inhibit the tire from conforming and makes the contact patch smaller. However, the flatter tread and distributed load in the belted version does improve its traction

For more moderate off-roading, the choice is not clear. A case can be made for either design. While the radial has the aforementioned disadvantages, the radial's flexibility gives it a smoother ride. It also conforms to irregularities, and with the belt, distributes the load evenly for excellent traction. They also air down well for a larger footprint for floatation.

Similarly, we already pointed out the benefits of the bias ply off-road. However, they suffer from a stiff sidewall resulting in a rough ride. They do not conform to irregularities or distribute the load as well. The smaller contact area reduces traction. Airing down has less effect on the contact area. A belted design helps in the traction but not much else.

W250 Dodge

Same tires and size on My Chevy 4x4. These are Load rating E and I think they are Coopers. Best tire I've found for goin' back in them fields.

Wild Country. Hahahaha. Is that like George Jones? Haha. I think so.

So am I, neither of the two duallys you posted pics of have moved recently. Go take the Ford for a lap around the yard, park it, and take a pic.

The 70s called. They want you back.

Ahhh, the 70s...back when they still knew how to build a proper wood burner! :laugh::hmm3grin2orange:

Eh, that's a toss up....the 80's short skirts did leave an impression too :D

Yeah, and if ya's wanted to impress one of those short skirts buy doing a long smoky burnout with your mustang, a nice set of bias plys on the back, definitely the way to go! :D

Yeah, and if ya's wanted to impress one of those short skirts buy doing a long smoky burnout with your mustang, a nice set of bias plys on the back, definitely the way to go! :D

No, mustang... T'was just a '84 big block K20 with bias ply 36" ground hawgs, holy smoke show.....and amazingly enough they never loaded up with blacktop :laugh:

Throw my 2 cents in, just reading thru the article posted re difference in tires, sounds like the only category the bias tires have an advantage is in severe off road conditions.

But ya' forgot the most important paragraph Big_Al...

For severe off-road driving, the bias ply is a stronger tire. The nylon sidewalls resist abrasions more than the polyester. More importantly, the bias construction tolerates twisting and bending from rocks and roots. Since the sidewall is as strong as the rest of the body, it can take lateral loads from rocks and roots without splitting. They can survive abuse that would destroy a radial. The radial's sidewall plies don't reinforce each other, making them very vulnerable to splitting from twisting, bending, and side loads. The weak sidewalls can also bulge out quite far, exposing them to danger. The bias ply can use extremely aggressive treads for excellent traction. Sidewall tread blocks can help protect the sidewall further and to add traction to climb out of ruts and up rocks.

Back