First time haulin' in the pickup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been plowing snow for 22 years I think, and driving on snow covered and ice coated roads for longer than that, and I've never heard as much bull#### as I have reading this thread. I'm glad I had my boots on.

Carry on, I'm outta here.

OK… this will be fun. First let me quote myself from page 3 of this thread…
I'm sure someone who has never run a traction-lug bias tire will argue with me and tell me what great traction they get with their wonder-radials.
I believe we have that “someone”.

So every time you gotten stuck, its been because of radial tires?
No… every time I’ve gotten stuck it was because I was asking the tires to do more than what they were designed to do.

Will a radial tire, same size, same tread pattern, same inflation pressure on the same vehicle, be significantly handicapped against a bias ply tire?
First of all, because of construction differences, you can’t use the same tread pattern on radial and bias tires.
Second, because of construction differences, the two can’t be the exact same size… assuming height is the same, the radial must be wider than the bias, no way around it.
Third, even if you could make them the same size with the same tread pattern, because of construction differences, it would be impossible to run them at the same inflation pressures without destroying one or the other… it-is-what-it-is.
Your above comparison is an impossibility… a fantasy… the question can not be answered. You are trying to make an apple-to-apple comparison by using an apple and an orange for the example.

Will say momentum is also key for hill climbing. Even just a slip can be disastrous.
Speaking of, how about rock climbing? Would the softness of a radial be better than stiffness of a bias ply?
Hill climbing is a form of extreme competition where the whole idea is to push the machine (including the tires) to the brink of failure… that’s not anything near what we’re talking about here.
A bias tire has a “stiffer” sidewall than a radial, but the outer rubber (the tread) of a bias ply tire is typically softer and “stickier” than that of a radial. Rock climbing takes tire abuse to the extreme, well past the sidewall limits of most radial tires… bias ply tires are the choice of serious rock climbers.

As for the backing in the snow, I have backed downhill in the snow and never slipped a tire. The tires would NOT stay in the tracks I had made going up the hill, they dug themselves out of the ruts and into the deep stuff.
That wasn't a factor of the tire, but of the weight distribution of the pickup.
No… that was a factor of the tire you’re running.
When you drove up the hill your tires did not make tracks in the snow, they made tracks on the snow. Rather than cut down through the snow they rode up on top and packed it down… basically making a raised hard-pack. When you tried backing down the hill on (not in) those tracks your tires were simply sliding off the raised areas you had created. A good traction-lug bias ply would have cut through to solid ground on the way up, and would have almost followed those tracks without you steering when you backed down them.

…following along in the tracks that others had made. Unfortunately, they had been made with full size pickups and were wider than the Ranger. I was all over the freaking road…
Same reason as above… your radial A/T street tires were sliding sideways off the raised hard-pack.

As said, I would run bias ply tires if it is a significant improvement over the same radial tire. But is it really THAT much different?
Yes… there really is THAT much difference. But in your case you wouldn’t need to go to a bias ply to gain a ton of improvement… just swapping those radial A/T street tires for a radial off-road tire, like an M/T or even M/S would make so much difference you’d be wondering why you ever bought A/T’s in the first place.

The AT's above do a pretty good job for what they are. Seem to be a good alternative to a full on mud tire. They ride pretty well on the hardtop and do well off-road and in the snow.
Radial A/T’s ain’t an alternative…. most ain’t even a compromise. They are not an off-road tire, and they were never intended as an off-road tire… they ain’t even advertised as an off-road tire. They are designed to handle difficult road conditions and look “cool” on Cowboy Cadillac’s and fancy SUV’s.
Like I said, I have a set of A/T’s for my truck that I run during mid-summer… they’re my summer street tire.

Last edited:
I've been plowing snow for 22 years I think, and driving on snow covered and ice coated roads for longer than that, and I've never heard as much bull#### as I have reading this thread. I'm glad I had my boots on.

Don't get confused... we ain't talking about plowing snow (which I do with plain-jane transport tread tires) or driving on roads. We're talking about driving the wood-hauling pickup off-road to get firewood... don't ya' know. ;)

Hey DSS - I gotta know two things:

What kinda tires does that big yeller snow plow of yours have? (I'm bettin radial, probably Michelins)

Has it spent any time "off road" :D

(Pics might help Spidey with a visual)

so i have to ask iffen you come back, in all those years have you run a good set of both radial and bias tires?

Don't get confused... we ain't talking about plowing snow (which I do with plain-jane transport tread tires) or driving on roads. We're talking about driving the wood-hauling pickup off-road to get firewood... don't ya' know. ;)

Hold everything...isn't this the first time you hauled wood in your truck?

Hold everything...isn't this the first time you hauled wood in your truck?

YEAH! And I did it with bias ply tires!
Nothing exploded, nothing caught on fire, I didn't get stuck in the MIL's yard, I didn't slide in the ditch, I didn't lose control and bounce through peoples yards, the world didn't come to an end, and life was generally good here despite that traumatic ordeal... even the 5-year-old survived!

That is alot of experience...Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express again?

You're reading a bit more into it than there is (have we been here before?).
It's the first time this truck has hauled firewood... it certainly ain't the only time I've hauled firewood in a pickup.
Heck, I was helping dad and granddad cut and haul firewood in pickups as far back as the mid-60's... on bias ply tires. I remember the first time dad used a pickup with radial tires to cut firewood (remember, he was a car dealer)... early '80's... we got stuck and had to unload the darn thing.

Been where?...It's all there in black and white. Keep backpedaling.

It's black and yellow on my screen...
And I just went back and looked at all my posts in this thread...
I can't find where I even so much as suggested I've never hauled firewood in a pickup (before this).
I guess you'll haf'ta show me where this "backpedaling" thing is coming from ???

Weather checked all season radials is how I roll :rock:

0130111145a.jpg

0130111145c.jpg

BFG Commercial traction radials, hauls wood and pushes snow like a M'fer :rock:

0316081137a.jpg

Gripper D bias ply caps that take 5 ton to make them round again, radials when these finally wear out.....

0905091150a.jpg

Last edited:
This is not the first time I hauled wood in my truck. Today was the first time with a new tailgate, though. Haha. Smashing tailgates since 1971.

Having a tailgate is your first problem.

Blazin, how's this for ya, sorry the bumper ain't draggin, it's a Chev after all, complete with radials:

125169d1266109149-good-load-back-jpg

Ahh, a close up of said useless radial tire. Dang, that pic's gettin old, still got the tires, but that tailpipe's long gone:

125451d1266279195-suspension-jpg

Latest posts

Back