Friday's Speedline Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jomoco-
These are great pics.Speedlining always looks good on film but seems really inefficient on the jobsite.While your monkeying around 2-3 guys are just waiting for the brush to come to them. When your lowering, you can send down much bigger loads and the whole crew is involved. It seems like it's only applicable on one or two trees a year. I do work with a 4 man crew, so I can see if you only had one man on the ground this becomes more practical. What's your opinion and are there any tips that speed up the process.Much thanks-Drew

I think J answered your questions pretty well but I think there is some aspects he didn't broach.

One I would say is this:
Do not fret when you see 3 guys standing around watching a good climber... they won't be standing much longer. I call this stage " taking in air", its a prepatory stage, usually before the chipper gets started.
Especially as J stated that he felt that if you go speedline then make sure everybody knows what is going on so I guess if you had never set up a speedline or two the above statement be maginfied. But in my experiance I found I could rely heavily on inexperianced users on the ground. For one, once the system is up its simple then if the guy working it has half a brain picks it up quick. the problem is finding that guy with half a brain.:) And second cause by the time I made it to the top after trying to get the guys to listen while one guys keeps going" Why?" I really don't care to much about who is standing down there I just want half the tree to go away.
Its a work smarter not harder sort of thing for the climber as well. If its easier and better and if a climber should feel the forces in a speedline would be helpful to him personally then it shall be done. But in essence its to try to make it easier on everybody together... cohesive I guess.
This was a great example of how a "simple speedline" ( I call it simple cause there is no haul back nor are pulleys even needed) is so effective for lazy ass old climbers and their crying ass tired assed groundguys. So there.

Last edited:
Yeah, J, that really popped that tree outa there. I don't see the anchor but its easy to see what's under the tree. No fuss no muss, nice little job.:cheers:

Nice speedline work. You made that look easier than it actually is. Especially the need to pick your lengths and fall directions to reduce slew.

What species is was that Euc? Bark like E.camaldulensis but no sock. Had a lot of watersprouts and dead wood in there. Diseased? Drought?

Originally Posted by mr. holden wood
Hey Jomoco-
These are great pics.Speedlining always looks good on film but seems really inefficient on the jobsite.While your monkeying around 2-3 guys are just waiting for the brush to come to them. When your lowering, you can send down much bigger loads and the whole crew is involved. It seems like it's only applicable on one or two trees a year. I do work with a 4 man crew, so I can see if you only had one man on the ground this becomes more practical. What's your opinion and are there any tips that speed up the process.Much thanks-Drew
Talking about job time using speedline vs say a porta wrap. Set up to a static anchor a speedline can reduce a tree much faster if, as Jomoco said earlier, you go up with a dozen slings and steel krabs. Keep your pieces small enough for one man to drag and you can have those boys constantly moving. They get a breather when you run out of slings!

IMG_1474-1.jpg

I thought it was a camaldulensis OOMT.

jomoco

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I really do enjoy speedlining if I have enough heigth and the right crew.

IMG_1299.jpg

jomoco

Do you ever use a seperate line to slow them down ,or do you
just like the rush of them racing for the landing?
Just curious.
Nice job and nice pics.:clap::clap:

I've used haul back lines many times, but rarely for a single removal. Haul backs are well worth the setup time if you're using it to get many removals off a hill, or across a ravine in fair sized loads of wood and brush, more like logging I guess.

There's alot of truth the keep it simple rule, production wise, but like most rules there are exceptions to it, and sometimes a haulback speedline/lowering line combination is the only way short of a helicopter.

jomoco

Hey Jomoco-

Reckon you rookies need to learn from the masters.....:cheers:

It's actually very fast to rig out a tree with simple speed lining as jomoco used. And saves tons of labor dragging, especially if, a side yard or corner is avoided. Also, avoiding obstacles like fences, structures, plant understory means speed.

Further, while the guys are deslinging the turn (which could be multiple branches all let go at once) the climber can be slinging the next ones to be cut. Then, the line is retensioned, and away ya geaux....!!

In doing a search for an old thread removing a 54" dbh Douglas-fir (I subbed for Scott C) I found this thread.... no zippin', but cool stuff...including both myself and Scott inverted.......

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=568646#post568646

Zippedydoodah.....

zippedy day.

Eric Von Zipper

Last edited:
Further, when a low branch needs lifting to clear an obstacle, we employ a high tied zip line. Tie branch halfway out (or where appropriate for the situation). There is now a bend (bight) in the speed line.Ground crew tensions line as cut is made, which lifts and/or swings the branch. To help keep it level, a control/lowering line can be attached to the limb butt.

Zip it up.

Found some posts from Scott's job..zipping with control line

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=291478&postcount=22

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=532104&postcount=17

Last edited:
Further, when a low branch needs lifting to clear an obstacle, we employ a high tied zip line. Tie branch halfway out (or where appropriate for the situation). There is now a bend (bight) in the speed line.Ground crew tensions line as cut is made, which lifts and/or swings the branch. To help keep it level, a control/lowering line can be attached to the limb butt.

Zip it up.

We use the very same system. If you have a skid steer it makes a great mobile anchor for this type of rig. Drive in to create slack and once rigged and ready to cut, drive back out. Slowly! There is definately an art to setting lines like this as too much tension can make for serious problems on the ground!

Zip it up.

I was hoping a few of you guys would post up some of your speedlining stuff!

Thanks Roger! Aint nothin slow bouta high set speedline huh?

Post up your speedlining pics and vids guys!

jomoco

Latest posts

Back