Fuels: pump gas vs alkylate vs aviation.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it is worth, as far as long storage:

I just sold my 1971 Impala and last time I refueled it was 2005, it had a mix of LL Aviation fuel and 110 octane auto racing fuel, mostly the 110 as both were available at a local gasoline station fuel pump isle, (sadly gasoline station was torn down for high way construciton) and I wanted the lead.
I would start the car several times a year, every year since 2005, I never had any problems starting running or driving the car (around the block, though I drove it several miles in 2015 to wash it) so if you want long term gasoline , either of the above are superior.

According to everything I've researched, Alkylate fuel has 10 chemicals in it.

Pump gas has 100 chemicals in it... most of which are not needed and only act to harm rubber and metal components, as well as harm the user. Things such as Benzene.

If a person could find affordable alkylate fuel, that would be the way to go. Some people confuse jet fuel with avgas. From what I understand, avgas is made of a composition more suited to engines that use spark plugs, and contains mostly alkylate. You just have to make sure you get unleaded avgas, and avoid leaded avgas.

Aspen and Steve's Small Engine Saloon have some excellent youtube video's on this alkylate fuel topic.

Gasoline is a chemical soup and refining is all about combining high quality streams with low quality so the resulting soup meets a minimum spec.
Pump gas hasn't had appreciable amounts of benzene in it for at least a decade because the EPA tightly regulates it. Same story with the fractions that are hard on rubber parts.

According to everything I've researched, Alkylate fuel has 10 chemicals in it.

Pump gas has 100 chemicals in it... most of which are not needed and only act to harm rubber and metal components, as well as harm the user. Things such as Benzene.

If a person could find affordable alkylate fuel, that would be the way to go. Some people confuse jet fuel with avgas. From what I understand, avgas is made of a composition more suited to engines that use spark plugs, and contains mostly alkylate. You just have to make sure you get unleaded avgas, and avoid leaded avgas.

Aspen and Steve's Small Engine Saloon have some excellent youtube video's on this alkylate fuel topic.

Hmm... OK. Good references. Thanks. Unfortunately, not looking good for availability in my area in Montana.

I think there is definitely a difference in pump fuel between usa and uk, most in uk is super market forecourt pumps and to be honest it is crap. Most only use it because it is cheaper and dont know anything about alkylate fuels. I only use alkylate fuel these days but as I now cut as a hobby and not a living I can do that, it would be a different story if I were cutting a couple of gallons a day like years ago so I completely understand when some say its too expensive. But the way I look at it is it is a very clean fuel never trouble with contamination (and had plenty of that with pump fuel) the fumes dont give you a head ache and a saw can be filled up and ready to go even if left on the shelf a few years. I am very happy with it, of course it could be cheaper and more would use it but it is what it is.
It is strange fuel like Aspen is hard to get over in the states or canada because its made by Anglo American Oil Co Ltd
I just came across this that some may find useful or other links within it
https://aspenfuel.co.uk/aspen-fuel-switching-guide/

I think there is definitely a difference in pump fuel between usa and uk, most in uk is super market forecourt pumps and to be honest it is crap. Most only use it because it is cheaper and dont know anything about alkylate fuels. I only use alkylate fuel these days but as I now cut as a hobby and not a living I can do that, it would be a different story if I were cutting a couple of gallons a day like years ago so I completely understand when some say its too expensive. But the way I look at it is it is a very clean fuel never trouble with contamination (and had plenty of that with pump fuel) the fumes dont give you a head ache and a saw can be filled up and ready to go even if left on the shelf a few years. I am very happy with it, of course it could be cheaper and more would use it but it is what it is.
It is strange fuel like Aspen is hard to get over in the states or canada because its made by Anglo American Oil Co Ltd

This pretty much sums up my approach (also from UK). I have three saws in constant light use, so draining them would be a pain, so I use alkalyte. The saws start very easily too. I use 40:1 5% ethanol fuel from a busy forecourt in the brushcutter, simply because it gets used so much in the summer. At the end of the season, I flush it out with a tank of alkalyte.

Fired boat up last week first try. Been setting all winter in plastic tank and vent open. No worries of moisture drawn in like E-gas BS.
I always use K100 at end of season and have seen the results with carb with that too.

Purred like a kitten around the lake never missing a beat.

Attachments

• 412152636_10230341515858284_3193565818048087869_n.jpg
    412152636_10230341515858284_3193565818048087869_n.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
There is plenty of canned Alkylate fuel available in the states. Tru fuel and vp racing can be had about anywhere.

There is plenty of canned Alkylate fuel available in the states. Tru fuel and vp racing can be had about anywhere.
Menards has it on sale this week btw. Tru-Fuel in 40-1, 50-1 and no premix added as well. I see even Tractor Supply is now selling it (VP) in gallons and 2.5 gallon containers. Being an occasional user, all I use now. Shelf life on an unopened can is 5 years btw. I keep at least one sealed can on the shelf at all times.

Menards has it on sale this week btw. Tru-Fuel in 40-1, 50-1 and no premix added as well. I see even Tractor Supply is now selling it (VP) in gallons and 2.5 gallon containers. Being an occasional user, all I use now. Shelf life on an unopened can is 5 years btw. I keep at least one sealed can on the shelf at all times.
I bought a bunch when lowes had their sale last fall. Only use it for storage/stuff I don't frequently use. With the warmer weather I'll be going back to pump gas for all outdoor equipment.

Back