gonna need some help with this old saw i think

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Erwin

tommy 2 stroke
Reaction score
Ok ,here is I quick story on this saw ,I'm 46 years old ...this saw has been sitting on my fathers shop floor all my life. I have never heard it run and was told by my dad who has since past, that it came with the farm when he bought it from his grandfather...I want to cut wood at the Indiana GTG with this dinosaur...So I have it on the bench don't know anything about it ..size ,age, etc. this is where I'm going to need your help as I tear into it to bring it back to life ..So if your a antique saw guy please help me out. I am going to post some pics of the saw so you can see what we are working with. Thanks in advance...Tom
11956-1428026189-2c8dbb5aeccbb4ff5002f3677d5cfa19.jpg
11966-1428026617-a357ea71b59bd76f6fa6260f4572cc53.jpg
11981-1428179519-0a8100d3c22c0bd8c35e64641be92c06.jpg
11961-1428026396-57d8bae8de07e2b5a4f5e57bbbdc9136.jpg

Thats a cool saw and a example of saw that Chris and I would love to see at the GTG.

Direct any specific Homelite questions to Chris, he is up on those and has quite a few of them.

Other wise, just do all the old saw stuff, pull the muffler, make sure its not all carboned up in the exhaust ports and cyl. If it is it needs cleaned out before you try to run it. That may mean pulling the jug.

Pull the flywheel and clean and gap the points to make sure you have good spark. Make sure the fuel tank is clean, replace the fuel line, filter and rebuild the carb. I hope that one has the HL and not the Brown carb.

great information!!!!!are the parts going to be available? I have started the tear down and will need a air filter ,carb kit,(looks like tillotson) maybe reeds ,plug wire, spark plug... I will restore the fuel tank.....here are some more pics..
11985-1428191841-0e428626dafee04413e0550ad5488009.jpg
11987-1428191962-880318ddb54e753be2b75ae5af699059.jpg
11988-1428192032-ebf2a04bbe0d916f7b3798fc39be3d1e.jpg

Good project, and good that you have the Tilly carb. Is it direct throttle instead of the air vane governer controlled? Notice the original red color under the tank. I found Massey Fergusen Red to be a real good match if you plan to paint it. Don't lose the starter cover, they're hard to find and expensive.

Good project, and good that you have the Tilly carb. Is it direct throttle instead of the air vane governer controlled? Notice the original red color under the tank. I found Massey Fergusen Red to be a real good match if you plan to paint it. Don't lose the starter cover, they're hard to find and expensive.
direct throttle.....gonna leave her unpainted I think

You should be able to find what you need for that saw. If you need reeds, that might be the toughest thing.

The carb kit is no problem at all seeing you have the HL carb. I "think" you will need a RK-88HL kit. If you don't have one, you need a really thin wall 5/16" socket to remove the needles seat from the carb. I have a old Craftsman 1/4 drive deep well that works good for that.

I have seen worse looking tanks then that, which have been cleaned up good. If it was mine, I would remove the fuel shut off valve, plug the opening with a pipe plug and fill the tank part way up anyway with lacquer thinner and let it soak for a while. I have had good luck doing it that way, just don't get it on the paint on the outside. ...

Don't forget to pull that muffler and check it out and clean the carbon out of it. It won't hurt to give the cyl and piston a good coat of WD40 or something like that to lube it up before starting.

When checking the points you may want to check and maybe go ahead and check the crank seal and better yet just go ahead and replace it. I'm not a Homelite expert but know that some of them did not use a PTO side seal. Not sure about that model or not.

You might check and see if it has spark. If it does it might be a runner!

Yeah it might and you might just ruin it trying to do just that.

Old saws like that need pulled at least partially apart to make sure there is nothing going on with them that could cause problems.

Thanks for the advice Mark ..that's the path im taking with this one.Check it all out then pull the start rope

She's a runner! !!! 5 pulls on the rope and pop pop pop opened the choke and she was purring like a kitten in the cream dish...I went over it from one end to the other repairs as I went...couldn't be happier with the results. I am going to try to post a pic of actual weight and a video of it running . Thank for the help your a good bunch!

Attachments

• 20150415_100318.jpg
    20150415_100318.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
im not really sure they are worth alot but it sure was cool to make something that old run again....I am going to do a little bucking with it, clean it up and take it along to the nw Indiana gtg

She's a runner! !!! 5 pulls on the rope and pop pop pop opened the choke and she was purring like a kitten in the cream dish...I went over it from one end to the other repairs as I went...couldn't be happier with the results. I am going to try to post a pic of actual weight and a video of it running . Thank for the help your a good bunch!
That's a sweet saw! Great job!

Back